What did I buy?

His Sinfulness

Reaction score
Ah, the joys of living in Asia...
While shopping in Seoul, Korea, I picked up a used Lanikai tenor for (I think) a really good price. It is a cutaway model with a slotted headstock and a pickup, and it plays beautifully. Nice intonation all the way up the neck, and it's pretty as well. The question is, "what model is it?"

The inside label reads "b-tca." I can't seem to find that model number for a Lanikai tenor. Does anyone here know what it is?

Thanks!

Last edited:
TCA seems to stand for Tenor Cut Away. Not sure about the B. Maybe a type of wood?

looks like quilt ash to me. probably a limited edition from the time it was originally bought

Thanks for the help, folks. I wondered if it was quilt ash too, but the current quilt ash series doesn't have slotted headstocks. I just sent an email to Lanikai - I'll post the results.

Last edited:
The plot thickens...

I just got an email from Kimberly Burns at Lanikai:

"Hi Linus,

Neither my boss nor I recognize this model number. It would either be a prototype for a model that we never actually decided to produce or a counterfeit. So I'm not able to tell you any information about it, sorry.

Best,
Kimberly"

If it is a counterfeit, they did a really nice job, using nice tuners and electronics (a UK 2000). It sounds great and the little details all seem to match up with Lanikais from the "Exotic" series.

Any thoughts on the prototype possibility?

Last edited:
Congrats on your new uke...it looks awesome...how does it sound?? it looks like no other lanikais I've ever seen
for sure..and it looks like a recent build with the slotted headstock and cutaway..

I just got an email from Kimberly Burns at Lanikai:

"It [could] be a ... counterfeit."

Okay, not to sound too snarky, but I have to ask ... why on earth would anyone go to that much trouble to counterfeit a Lanikai?

A good question actually, but the short answer is: If there is money to be made in something, someone will copy it. An example of this is, I have both Gibson, and Epiphone. Epiphone is the imported cheaper version of their Gibson counterparts. Some people call it a knock off, but really it isn't. It is licensed, and owned by Gibson and simply a cheaper and quite nice alternative to the higher dollar Gibson. Of course, we see black market couterfieted Gibsons all the time. So, why would someone think about copying and counterfieting the cheaper Epiphone? Because there is allot of money to be made, and it isn't under question as harshly as building a fruadulent Gibson. I see black market fraudulent Epiphones more often then fraud Gibsons actually. Some very poor copies, but then again, I have also seen some very well built, nice copies.

Okay, not to sound too snarky, but I have to ask ... why on earth would anyone go to that much trouble to counterfeit a Lanikai?

That's what I was wondering.

I'd be more inclined to believe it's a prototype that snuck out somehow.

Whatever it is, it sure is pretty. Enjoy it!

My thoughts exactly. ;)

I asked her if bubinga was a wood they had been working with and I received this message:

"It has been a wood we have experimented with, so it may very well be that. We have been testing different woods in the past months trying to come up with something new. I hope you enjoy it regardless!

Best,
Kimberly"

As for how it sounds, I like it. It's strung with Aquila high G. It has a bright tone with good sustain and volume. I'm not an experienced uke player, but I'm very happy with it. It's a huge step up from the Korean-made concert I started out on. :)

Last edited:
Compare the labels very closely, as that's where the knockoffs usually don't do a good job. Look for odd fonts, different colors, sizing and spacing. There should be NO difference.

Thanks for the tip, Gadzukes. I am certainly not an expert, but I'll compare it to some other Lanikais at my next opportunity. In the meantime, I like to think it's a prototype they decided not to produce, and then try to imagine what tale of woe caused it to be for sale in the "used" section of a music shop in Seoul... :cool:

That is a sweet looking uke and if it is a one of kind, that is just gravy on the eggs. nice find, and as always thanks for posting pics!!!

Top Bottom