Kanilea (Solid Curly Mango Wood) Tenor Size

strumsilly

Reaction score
Saw this Kanilea (Solid Curly Mango Wood) Tenor Size on ebay and can't get that grain out of my head. sorely tempted by this, the UAS s on overdrive. I've never played mango. anyone ever played/ or own one. I'm sure it's a fine instrument, I have a Kamaka tenor and have had a Ko'aloha so I know you can't really go wrong with a K.I know how much a new koa costs. anyone know how much this might be worth?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320864835563&fromMakeTrack=true

Hey now, I'm currently the high bidder on this.... but I seriously doubt I'll end up with it. It is really pretty. I love mango. I don't know what the street price on this should be. I guess whatever the final bid is, will be the street price. I'm guessing $850 - $900? My high bid isn't that high so feel free to jump in there folks if you really want it. It'll save me some money I don't need to be spending anyway.

Ho, Bruddah strumsilly,

I had the privilege of playing the Big Island Ukulele Company - Big Island Solid Mango wood tenor uke @ the 2012 NAMM SHOW.

I own a Big Island Ukulele Company Big Island Series 2011 NAMM SHOW limited edition Koa tenor model with the Big Island shaped fretboard markers and it's a gorgeous uke and has a really nice rich tone, but it is on the quiet side.

When I picked up the Big Island Mango tenor and started playing it, I was pleasantly surprised - actually, blown away - because it had a really nice rich warm tone ... with great projection!!! A common critique on the Big Island koa ukes from most who own or have played them is that they are lacking in volume. But their mango ukes definitely have some serious MOJO compared to their koa ukes. At least that's what I experienced and noticed immediately with my first strum on the mango uke. I was very tempted to buy one, but I have a couple of custom ukes on order. I would love to buy a mango tenor uke to add to my collection in the near future.

I would only venture to say that the Kanile'a mango tenor would be far superior to the Big Island mango tenor and the current price is a great bargain. If I were you, keep an eye on the auction because if you like ukes that have a rich and warm tone - and a big voice, I guarantee that you will love it!

UU member smellofstrings just recently received his Big Island Mango Concert uke and loves it!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?62369-My-new-uke!-Thanks-Mim!

Hope this helps.

Good luck with the auction!

Aloha,

Kimo

Last edited:
I am thinking 800 - 850 is realistic- this is what the other custom with the "fender-style" headstock went for some time ago.

Yes, I'm done. I'm not going any higher.

oooh, still an hour and a quarter to go...some serious work to happen between now and then....surely it won't stay where it is? It's really a beautiful uke eh guys, and mango is an awesome sounding tone wood.

14 minutes to go, ;-0
Good luck guys!

oooh, still an hour and a quarter to go...some serious work to happen between now and then....surely it won't stay where it is? It's really a beautiful uke eh guys, and mango is an awesome sounding tone wood.

No, not me. If it had a pickup in it, I would have gone higher. I set my limit and that was it. I try to Uke responsibly. I grew weary of the Uke Anomoyous meetings. :)

My bid was $825. Someone beat me by .02!! I wish them well.

He had the high bid fair and square, and I believe that if it were for me, I would have won it. But it was a really unique ukulele......

Top Bottom