I REALLY want to know how to do this!

BrittanyClark

Reaction score
Okay. I have a few questions, I suppose. I'd like to know how to do overlapping video/audio, like Julia Nunes, for example, in her video for "Accidentally in Love." What FREE, and safe? software will let me edit and overlap, like so? I'd like to sing, do backups, and also play my melodica/xylophone/auxiliary percussion all in one video. I'm interested in knowing how.

Also, how do I record my audio with a camera, and record with a microphone to get them to match up? I'm new to this stuff-- if I knew how I'd probably be posting videos, haha!

I'm so sorry if this is vague. I don't know how to word my questions very well sometimes, especially things I don't know a CLUE about! :(

I think Julia (in her newer youtubecovers, for example "Baby, Bierer + Supremes)) record the different sound tracks and mixed them together. (wich can be done for example in audacite: audacity, but there are a lot of free software tools to do this).
Then shoot different shots with a video camera and mixes the different camera shots and soundtrack in one video. (wich can be done with for example Microsoft Movie maker, or with other free video editing software)

Julia was doing her early stuff with a Mac, and the built-in camera. I think she used GarageBand.

But, as someone who never subscribed to the Cult of Jobs, I have never used the stuff.

I'm looking to buy Adobe Premiere Elements, and see if I can do something similar with a/r/e/a/l/c/o/m/p/u/t/e/r a Windows machine.

-Kurt​

Well, this was disappointing, especially since I don't have a mac!

I have done some research on this. Some guy named Rehan has free patches you can download for movie maker old versions, and if you have movie maker 6.0 you can download a free trial of a patch that lets you do split screen. If you have windows vista or window 7.0 you have movie maker 6.0 or higher.

Google "Rehan movie maker split screen" and put your version of movie maker in the search line and you will get the goodies.

there is a freeware video making program called 'zweistein you could try that lets you do all sorts of things. it is rather primative and can be buggy about ccertain things though. for audio I often record on a little portable recorder then sync up the audio as it own track in the software. it can be tricky gettign them to match though-trial and error. and practice. best of luck

For sound mixing, if you can't use GarageBand --think it's MAC only , there is also Magix Samplitude lets you mix tracks and add accompaniment. It's what I use since I use a PC.

For video, there are lots of software packages and many of them are very buggy--I was an official tester-reviewer for Adobe Premier Elements and a few others and I ended up finding that Pinnacle was a lot easier to use to create videos with special effects and less buggy. This has been borne out by other reviewers. I gave up on Premier Elements and I don't recommend it, even though I love Adobe Photoshop Elements. Once you create the music track mixed as you like it, you can import it into the Pinnacle software and massage video to fit the track. Often, I do still photos (a la Ken Burns) and massage them to make a video along with music. There are many effects included in the software and it's not hard to use compared to the audio mixing software, which has a steeper learning curve.

If you have a MAC, GarageBand is the way to go, not cheap, but a really popular software package.

If you don't mind a steep learning curve, I suggest trying linux and free software. There are multimedia-oriented linux flavours that have all the software you'll ever need preinstalled, and can be even run from usb, without touching your hard drive.

For video, Openshot is a video editor that does all the fancy stuff, including masking and compositing, while still being very user-friendly (unfortunately, it's buggy and crashes often). And Cinelerra is a video editing for pros, but once you learn to use it, it will give you pro results.

And for audio you won't find anything better than linux software, if you don't want to pay for professional stuff like Pro Tools. Most people know Audacity as a simple and efficient tool, but the real power is Ardour and Jack audio server

Ardour is a pro-level recording software, with all the bells and whistles you'll ever need. And Jack is a real killer-app, which ties all the linux audio together and enables routing and syncing of anything to anywhere. By the way, those apps should also work on a mac.

There is much more - drum machines, tuners, score and tab editors, sequencers, loopers, virtual instruments, virtual amps, and of course all the sound processing plugins. All free and working together through Jack.

Top Bottom