Straps and buttons

BrittanyClark

Reaction score
I have a Mainland mahogany tenor w/ slotted headstock. I get tired of having to hold it standing up, as I get very uncomfortable. My Epiphone ukulele has buttons, so I have a leather strap attached to it. It makes life SO much easier!

So I guess my question is, is it okay to install strap buttons on my Mainland ukulele? I'm on eBay looking to buy some buttons, and I figured it'd be easy enough to drill them in and have no problems. Has anyone else done this? Any input, or tips? Guitar buttons should be fine, right? I'm very keen on doing this, and I'll surely be careful about it. I wouldn't want any harm done to my uke or anything. :)

I have looked at other alternatives, like the uke leash and I have a hooked strap, but I get annoyed with it, as I have to always hold onto my uke; if I let it go, it tips right over!

I have strap buttons on my Mainland and my Kanile'a. It's a real easy job to do. If you search on youtube, there's a guy that takes you through it step by step.

I installed guitar strap buttons on the bottom of both my tenors. That area is reinforced with an end block on the inside. It's really easy as long as you're careful. I only use the one button, choosing to tie the other end to the headstock rather than mounting a second button.

I took my uke to Guitar Center, bought strap buttons, and they installed them for free. Took all of about thirty seconds, and they did it fine. I know lots of people install them themselves, but I'm not that handy with a power drill.

Just did this recently. Put a piece of masking tape on the uke where the button(s) will go and mark the spot on the tape. Drill pilot hole first. The tape will keep the bit from "sliding" and putting a big scratch on your uke. Just take your time and it's easy to do.

The first hole is the hardest.
I use my electric screw driver with a drill bit for the pilot hole.
I also like using masking tape and marking the spot.
Practice on a block first with the drill and you will be ok.

Stewart MacDonald has great strap buttons. better looking than the generic metal buttons.

I'm intrigued by the uke leash as well. I think I'd definitely give that a go before I started drilling holes in my ukulele.

It is good to see that you have not been drinking Nonsense Juice that a ukulele should not have a strap. The idea of masking tape to prevent a skidding bit is more wishful thinking than reality. It does give you a more definite target, but drilling at a slow speed will cause a bit to roll rather than drill. Pre-prick the place where you want the bit to be is the only way to be sure it will center on that spot. Anything sharp which will make a small round hole for the nose of the bit will help. If using a moto-tool (commonly called a Dremel) the speed should be at leasy medium. Because there are only two cutting edges. if they do not spin quickly, they can hook one of those edges and chip the wood. Let the bit do the drilling, don't lean hard on it. Back it out a bit to keep the sawdust from building up as you go in. A screw only hold by its threads, so hold the bit neck to the screw to see the right size drill bit to use. It also helps to use a slightly larger bit just to go through the skin of the body, since it is the tail block holds the button not the outer skin of the instrument. That will relieve any pressure from the button screw on the actual body.both when you install it and when you use it. The idea of the small leather button is a good idea.

The uke leash DOES NOT support the weight of the ukulele or take away the need to firmly hold the body of the instrument. If you do not firmly hold it by the body, the strap will move so it is hanging down rather than angled out to the neck and the body of the instrument will be moved to the side of the body of the player. the strumming arm is not free to only pick, strum or drum. Those are secondary to holding up the instrument. It also causes the back of the instrument to be pressed to the player's body. This stops any sound from developing through the back. It is the same effect as an upright piano be parked right up to the wall.

The uke leash DOES NOT support the weight of the ukulele or take away the need to firmly hold the body of the instrument. If you do not firmly hold it by the body, the strap will move so it is hanging down rather than angled out to the neck and the body of the instrument will be moved to the side of the body of the player. the strumming arm is not free to only pick, strum or drum. Those are secondary to holding up the instrument.
Yes, the Uke Leash falls somewhere between "no strap" and "full strap." It is designed to support the headstock of the ukulele, and you still need to support the body of the ukulele. However, simply having the headstock supported during chord changes can be a big relief for many newbies--at least I know it made a huge difference for me. It's certainly worth trying for someone who can't or won't install a strap button on their ukulele. And if you own a Uke Leash and you get a strap button installed at some future time, the Uke Leash can be converted to a full strap using an inexpensive adapter.

I've put straps on four ukuleles, it is scary the first time and again scary with an expensive uke. But go slow and be careful, you will do OK. Fasten the uke to a table with a safe clamp or a lot of elastic (sewing elastic or surgical tubing) wrapped around and around, so you have two hands for the drill. One hand near the front to stabilize it, don't "one hand" the drill because the other hand is on the uke.

I've always put a strap button on the heel cap of guitars and ukuleles. The instrument seems more 'balanced' if the strap is attached to the heel cap. I'm not a skilled craftsman but this has seemed to be an easy and very welcome addition.

Some of the basics. Choose a drill bit that is about the same diameter as the valley of the threads. I don't want to split the neck by forcing the screw into the hole. Masking and marking exactly where to drill is essential. After drilling to the desired depth, I clean out the hole by inserting/removing the drill bit several times. I use candle wax or bees wax on the threads. I also screw the strap button until it is difficult to screw and back it out to apply more wax.

Stewart MacDonald has wooden strap buttons that look much better than the generic metal ones that are sold in most music stores. Listed under 'Acoustic Guitar Bridge Pins, Endpins and Strap Buttons'.

Last edited:
Anyone try elliptical strap buttons? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to rubber vs felt washers?

PWEEP-BLK.jpg

I like these type buttons from Stewart MacDonald. They come in brown wood, ebony, and ivoroid.

The uke leash DOES NOT support the weight of the ukulele or take away the need to firmly hold the body of the instrument. If you do not firmly hold it by the body, the strap will move so it is hanging down rather than angled out to the neck and the body of the instrument will be moved to the side of the body of the player. the strumming arm is not free to only pick, strum or drum. Those are secondary to holding up the instrument. It also causes the back of the instrument to be pressed to the player's body. This stops any sound from developing through the back. It is the same effect as an upright piano be parked right up to the wall.

The Uke Leash helps stabilize the neck of the uke, and you lightly hold the sound box with your strumming arm if you are standing. Some picking styles will not be compatible with this position when you are standing and playing. If you are sitting, you can move the soundbox away from your body, so you can hear the unmuffled sound coming from the back of your uke. If you play standing without a strap, you have to really clamp down with your strumming arm and smother the uke to keep it in place. A full strap will give you the most stability when playing (with the least effort), but it also means the back of the sound box is always against your body, and that reduces the sound quality and volume. Try it yourself... have someone stand in front of you and play with the uke against your body verses away from your body. It makes a big difference.
–Lori

Top Bottom