Tell me how the Ukulele has enriched your Life..

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
For me UU, the ukulele and the Ukulele underground community has helped me distract from my disability,my serious health issues and my loss of my father. I have made many great friends here too, thank you all....Tell me how UU has helped you ....

P.S. I am very thankful of UU and I know it's almost time to renew my
UU VIP status to support UU.. I hope many of you will contribute again this year to help support our wonderful forum and site...and the
new members, I hope you will join in too...thank you:)

wow Stan...in so many ways it's almost impossible to put together in words. Thinking aloud, here's some of the main ones maybe...

(i) a friend during the down times
(ii) a joyful compadre to share the good times
(iii) a tool to communicate with the residents with dementia whom I have worked for in a nursing home...that reaches beyond words and touches the heart and soul
(iv) something that has brought our family closer together by sharing our love of music and playing together
(v) therapy when all sometimes feels as though it's lost...I suffer from depression pretty bad too and it's amazing how one can literally drift off for hours at a time and find peace through just strumming and singing songs
(vi) a means to bring joy to others who are in need of refreshing
(vi) comfort to families during illness (at my work)
(vi) making people smile in unexpected situations
(x) it has introduced me to a huge bunch of wonderful people on this website who I am blessed to count as friends - yourself especially Bruddah :)

Nice thread, Stan. Like to add my own thoughts.

This instrument has helped me and my wife to overcome many substantial creative blocks and inhibitions and to reach levels of achievement that, at certain times in our lives, we felt and believed were not achievable. It helped me to recuperate and regain my strength after two heart attacks and a quadruple bypass (2004).

It is a remarkable instrument and I am grateful everyday for it's presence in our lives.

Mike

Well, let's see...
It has helped me to not miss my late GF, Annie quite so badly.
It has helped me make new friends, in my city, and here on UU, including the two above.
It got me on stage at my church, quite a feat.
It has me forming a new band to perform in nursing homes and ALFs.
It gives me a way to entertain my friends I already knew.
It has sparked a new outlet of creativity in me, and released my inner geek.
It keeps my bank account from getting to bloated!

Aloha Eugene, Mike and Nickie..
It is amazing how this little instrument has touched our lives and how it improves our quality of life....I am truely blessed to be given the oppertunity to play and enjoy it,
and all the rewards it provides...

I just learned to like my simple way of playing an instrument with the ukulele. And I could still learn to play much more complexly with him after that.

Aloha Bruddah,
It gave me so many things from kid time to now that it's impossible to list them all. Back in the day, the ukulele was a big chick magnet (in Hawaii, that is).
It brought family and friends together for the love of the beautiful sound it produces, to learn and appreciate its simpleness, and to marvel at uke masters and our own progression.
Most important, it allowed me to meet great people who share a common bond with our beloved instruments. I've learned so much from you as well as from my other UU Ohana members............................BO.................

Aloha Bruddah,
It gave me so many things from kid time to now that it's impossible to list them all. Back in the day, the ukulele was a big chick magnet (in Hawaii, that is).
It brought family and friends together for the love of the beautiful sound it produces, to learn and appreciate its simpleness, and to marvel at uke masters and our own progression.
Most important, it allowed me to meet great people who share a common bond with our beloved instruments. I've learned so much from you as well as from my other UU Ohana members............................BO.................

he he Bo. It's a chick magnet for me too Bruddah...problem is, they're all over 80 :eek:

The ukulele was my first foray into playing music and making art in general. I mostly play guitar now, but without the ukulele I never would have dreamed of playing any music at all.

Tell me how the Ukulele has enriched your Life..
It hasn't. It has impoverished my bank account, my Paypal account, and taken up all the free space around this little house. It's consumed my life, my time, my money and my conversations.

But I love the little monkeys, anyway... all of them, even if I can't get at my wine rack these days because of the wood stacked in front of it...

Okay, okay. Sure I've met a bunch of wacky, happy people because of it. Sure I rekindled my passion for music because of it. Sure I connected with some great old music from the 20s and 30s I never learned to play on guitar. Sure I discovered new things about wood, about luthiery, about music because of it. But aside from that, what did the Romans ever do for us?

It hasn't. It has impoverished my bank account, my Paypal account, and taken up all the free space around this little house. It's consumed my life, my time, my money and my conversations.

But I love the little monkeys, anyway... all of them, even if I can't get at my wine rack these days because of the wood stacked in front of it...

Okay, okay. Sure I've met a bunch of wacky, happy people because of it. Sure I rekindled my passion for music because of it. Sure I connected with some great old music from the 20s and 30s I never learned to play on guitar. Sure I discovered new things about wood, about luthiery, about music because of it. But aside from that, what did the Romans ever do for us?
HA HA! Well played Ian!!! :biglaugh:

The Romans - or one of em' at least, Nero - taught us a good lesson: it's nice to play music in front of an open fire :p

The ukulele has introduced me to many friends - some I've even met in person - and helped me through a depression I didn't even know was there, by letting me make music again after an arm injury.

Ukulele introduced me to Ukulele Underground, and all of the wonderful people I can call ohana here - as well as a few that I'd like to call other things, but that's how life goes, isn't it?

Enriched my life? Naw. I'd say that's quite an understatement.

-Kurt​

It has lowered my bank account enough that I need to work with so many great people.
My closest friends are my music friends, without playing music I would have more money, but I would be poor with things that really count.

The ukulele has given helped me build confidence that I've never had, and has helped me become more social with others. It's also helped clear up some confusion in my head about what I feel my purpose is. I'm hugely in debt to this instrument.

for such a small instrument it has introduced me to a whole wide world of new friends, both on UU, globally and in my hometown, it has humbled me, amazed me, made me smile, it has taken me down avenues i never thought i would venture down in a million years, it has helped me break down boundaries that i thought were unbreakable, it has given me the confidence to express myself through music, taking up the ukulele has been a life changing experience, i am honoured to be in such company

Q. Tell me how the Ukulele has enriched your Life..

A. Well, I met this cool guy online named Stan who loves ukes.

Q. Tell me how the Ukulele has enriched your Life..

A. It has made me a better person.

Aloha my Bruddah from Down Undah,
At least you're not attracting flies eh? I'd start to worry if you don't attract anyone.
I think I attracted my first girlfriend (Dodie, to whom I'm engaged to and spending a lot of time on Maui with) with my uke/guitar playing and singing although she insist it was my goods looks and personality.....wat evas,hehe.
At the local elementary and middle school, I counted at least 15 kids with ukes........cool............................BO................

As some of you out there know, my 8 year old daughter has intractable atonic epilepsy. A type that she will have literally more than 100 seizures daily. Her brain has developed to that of about a 2 year old. She doesn't speak except through sign langauge, and of that she knows about 20 signs. She however does walk, with a little difficulty. BUT, she does dance. She absolutely loves music. And when her extremely fortunate daddy pulls out his ukulele, she starts laughing and doing the sign for "more" before I've even started playing. She has a smile that goes all the way to her eyes, and will smile and laugh no matter how crappy I'm playing. When I finish a song she claps, laughs and signs "play", which I oblige.

We love each other all the time, but when the ukulele is out, that is our special time together. My life is so enriched by her, and my ukulele only magnifies that. Didn't think that would be possible. Silly me.

@Aloha Ian,
@loha Zac987, Yes I agree, the uke has even open me further in music, than my previous instruments for sure
Ha Ha who cares about the wine...when you've got them ukes and having fun..you probally have delved farther than
most of us...with your research..thank you for sharing your knowledge with us..
@loha Fabioponta..it is not all about of your playing ability, the main thing is you are having fun and enjoying yourself...
@loha Bo,
You lucky bugga, you got the girl and the ukes..and you have enriched your whole family with the ukulele..
good going bruddah..happy strummings
@loha Kurt, my sentiments exactly...yes I am truely blessed to make so many uke friends from all over the world..
@loha Sailing Uke, wouldn't have it another way..enrichment in life with my uke friends here and everywhere.
@loha 1931Jim, you alwaysm look good with a uke in your hand
@loha Casey, Many of us are not as fortunate to do what they love for wharever reasons or know what they really want at your age..It is so nice you have the support of your loving parents to do so..way to go brah
@loha Kaizersoza, yes yes I feel the exact way..
@loha Mandarb, Mahalo Bruddah..same here my friend, made me learn many other things aside the ukulele..

@loah Consitter, I am sure your daughter has enriched your life even more, but you and your uke surely have
enriched hers.. good goings bruddah..

Last edited:
Top Bottom