PDA

View Full Version : The Kamoa Evolves are Coming: Time to Butter Up the Spouses!

Mim
03-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Normally I dont talk about my stuff I will have for sale on here. But But I know people wanted to know about these, so here is all the new info I have!

Ok, officially, they are rolling off the line as we speak and Sam says they are Sah-weet!!! And I know they will be because Sam is a perfectionist... and is the reason I love Kamoa so much. They will be here first of April! I was first to order (within the first 30 min that they opened the door at NAMM... these were THAT awesome, so I get first shipment... HOORAY) I get a lot of questions about these and thought I would post the info in one handy-dandy place!

(PS For those who pre-ordered or inquired, I am going through my PMs right now and have caught up on my e-mails, so if you dont hear from me by tomorrow afternoon and wanted to order from me, drop me a line. I am moved in, settled in, and catching up on correspondance and will get back to your right away... my in-box of 150 is down to 20, but my UU PM box is still a hot mess! But should be cleared out by tomorrow!)

The E Series Evolve MSRP: $599
The Custom Evolve MSRP: $1098

This price can vary. Contact me with shipping location for final price.

The E Series first run will be offered in Black, Red, & Blue
The Custom will be offered in any of the colors you see in the Kamoa 700 Custom Series (examples: pruple, blue, green, grey, orange, red, etc.) It is recommended you preorder for the custom because I dont like to spec what colors people.

The customs have upgraded electronics, neck and inlay detailing, and the exotic tiger flame maple body.

These videos are the first released from the Kamoa® Evolve™ Series. The Evolve is an all electric carved hollow body ukulele. The videos demonstrate the amazing tone and versatility of this incredible new Kamoa instrument. Demonstrated clean and at various levels of saturation (distortion). FYI: He is playing a custom in this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O0lTAB5ups

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CqGmcMxdrs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbx3Zn4Bzu0

Here is an E3, but keep in mind it is not launching in this color yet, it will be in Black, Red, or Blue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i5qj-vZ8yQ&feature=related

wickedwahine11
03-20-2012, 05:07 PM
They look and sound great, I'm sure you will sell a ton of them. I really like that purple one, and for $599 that is not too bad a price. I might have to issue a restraining order for myself to keep away from a red one, or I might not be able to resist buying one.

Have you heard anything about the Kauai built koa Kamoas? I'm really itching to find out more details about those.

ryanvt
03-20-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm excited for these to come out. Might be my next uke if I can figure out a way to get my hands on one to try it out... I look forward to some reviews.

grandpoobah
03-20-2012, 06:51 PM
I just remembered that I always wanted one of these. Wow

Mim
03-20-2012, 07:01 PM
I just remembered that I always wanted one of these. Wow

When I saw them at NAMM, I picked one up, I played it, I marveled at it, and I walked up to Sam and proclaimed "I have been waiting my whole life for someone to create this uke!" To which he said "Wow" and then played it, and I was even more in love! So I HAD to sell them! I love to sell what I love and I LOVE THESE!

Wicked
03-21-2012, 01:19 AM
I think you know that I want one of them.....

I was set on black, but red is creeping up the want meter. If you can post photos once you get them, I will pull the trigger.

Thanks

fitncrafty
03-21-2012, 01:37 AM
Wow that purple is as beautiful as it sounds!!

Gwynedd
03-21-2012, 01:48 AM
The sound is extraordinary. Thanks. Now I want one. NO MORE UKES...stop it now!

SuzukHammer
03-21-2012, 03:04 AM
oink oink oink. I want one.

vanflynn
03-21-2012, 03:55 AM
Are those steel strings?

Plainsong
03-21-2012, 04:00 AM
This is the next uke I'm saving for.

Mim
03-21-2012, 04:11 AM
Are those steel strings?

Yes! Yes they are! Steel String Hollow Body Electric Sah-Weet ukuleles!

stmace
03-21-2012, 05:17 AM
I want the uke, AND lessons from that guy.

WOBster
03-21-2012, 05:52 AM
I agree on both counts!

nohoval_turrets
03-21-2012, 06:21 AM
Yes! Yes they are! Steel String Hollow Body Electric Sah-Weet ukuleles!

Any idea what sort of gauges are used on them? Don't suppose you could use flatwounds?

Toucan Mango
03-21-2012, 06:31 AM
I wonder how heavy they are?

philpot
03-21-2012, 06:51 AM
Can't do it can't do it saving for custom must resist must resist...

zac987
03-21-2012, 07:24 AM
I could see getting one of these and playing it on a little Fender Blues Jr.....must resist....already have electric guitar....

OldePhart
03-21-2012, 07:35 AM
I could see getting one of these and playing it on a little Fender Blues Jr.....must resist....already have electric guitar....

Heh, heh. That's kind of where I'm at. When I first watched the vids I was like, "wow, pull out the Visa, gotta have one of these." And, honestly, I'd still love to have one. But, after thinking about it a few minutes it's pretty obvious that I don't need one. Anything I could do on a steel-string uke I can do by playing up the neck on any of my electric guitars - and they're honestly more versatile. I could even restring one of my electrics so the four treble strings are in reentrant tuning, if I wanted to.

So, the Kamoas are great looking and sounding instruments and I would love to have one but I don't see myself buying one. Now, somebody who didn't already play electric guitars and have a whole stable of them, I can easily see the Kamoa being a very attractive option for them.

John

Mim
03-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Any idea what sort of gauges are used on them? Don't suppose you could use flatwounds?

I believe they come with flatwounds. I can let you know the gagues as well. If anyone has any specific questions put them here, I will compile them and get them answered. If not by me, by Sam. I just want to ask them all at once than a bunch of little e-mails.

I wonder how heavy they are?

They are quite heavy, not terrible. But standing up I would want a strap. But I am a strap gal. I will ask specific weight as well!

WhenDogsSing
03-21-2012, 09:19 AM

You could use flatwounds. You could use 8s, 9s, or 10s with no problems. I think they have a reinforcing truss rod (carbon?) but not steel in the neck so I wouldn't put heavy gauge strings on one. You're going to get better tone if you use 10s as opposed to 8s or 9s. Having said all of this, I have no idea what the stock string gauges are.

WhenDogsSing
03-21-2012, 09:21 AM

Or a Marshall half stack...??? Hee! Hee! Hee!

mybote
03-21-2012, 09:30 AM
I waann........I mean tos .........oh wha..........now look what you made me do. I'm drooling all over this keyboard. Gotta see those videos again.

Wicked
03-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Heh, heh. That's kind of where I'm at. When I first watched the vids I was like, "wow, pull out the Visa, gotta have one of these." And, honestly, I'd still love to have one. But, after thinking about it a few minutes it's pretty obvious that I don't need one. Anything I could do on a steel-string uke I can do by playing up the neck on any of my electric guitars - and they're honestly more versatile. I could even restring one of my electrics so the four treble strings are in reentrant tuning, if I wanted to.

So, the Kamoas are great looking and sounding instruments and I would love to have one but I don't see myself buying one. Now, somebody who didn't already play electric guitars and have a whole stable of them, I can easily see the Kamoa being a very attractive option for them.

John

I humbly disagree with you, amigo. Of course, you are correct, none of us need any of these things - but this fills a niche that just can't be replicated by playing above the fifth fret.

The difference in timbre between this and an electric guitar will certainly not be as drastic as the difference between acoustic ukuleles and guitars, but there is a difference.... plus, it just looks painfully cool.

OldePhart
03-21-2012, 11:31 AM
I humbly disagree with you, amigo. Of course, you are correct, none of us need any of these things - but this fills a niche that just can't be replicated by playing above the fifth fret.

The difference in timbre between this and an electric guitar will certainly not be as drastic as the difference between acoustic ukuleles and guitars, but there is a difference.... plus, it just looks painfully cool.

Well, like I've said, tone is a very subjective thing but it was that difference that really "sealed the deal" for me. When you play a guitar up the neck it changes the position of the pickups relative to the vibrating length of the string and so the tone is indeed different than what you get with an instrument that is simply a shorter scale to begin with. The thing is, I'm one of many who think the best tone comes from that change when you're playing up the neck. The pickups end up at a point on the string where you're getting a much "rounder" tone. The same thing applies to bass guitars. A lot of the stuff bassists do is well up the neck and well within the range of a six-string electric guitar - but the tone is completely different from what you would get playing the same pitches on a shorter scale six string.

I agree 100% that they look great and there's a huge cool factor. I just can't see myself laying down significant money for something based on cool factor. (I'm so uncool I'll play a 2X4 with a piece of barbed wire nailed to it if it sounds good. :) )

John

whit
03-21-2012, 03:24 PM
(I'm so uncool I'll play a 2X4 with a piece of barbed wire nailed to it if it sounds good. :) )

I'm having distinct memories of It Might Get Loud

Plainsong
03-21-2012, 03:35 PM
I know right? "Who says you need a guitar?" :D

It's such a great film to watch for a musician who plays anything. it's not just for guitar players.

whit
03-21-2012, 04:09 PM
A colleague introduced me to the film. I confess I was a little put off at first by its description - I wasn't that fussed about the electric guitar- but as you say, it is about music and the creation of music. A must watch for anyone interested in the creation of sound.

Wicked
03-21-2012, 05:09 PM
I agree 100% that they look great and there's a huge cool factor. I just can't see myself laying down significant money for something based on cool factor. (I'm so uncool I'll play a 2X4 with a piece of barbed wire nailed to it if it sounds good. :) )

All I know is that the chicks are gona dig it.... I will let you try it out, if we ever run into each other...

SuzukHammer
03-22-2012, 05:55 AM
Good points Oldpharte.

I am slowly building a budding collection of electric guitars as soon I will be learning how to play em after I feel comfy on my uke knowledge.

I thought I was cured of UAS. Thanks to Mim, I know that I got a problem. A control issue - or more accurately - a lack of it.

Put some replacement strings and a strap on that order Mim.

OldePhart
03-22-2012, 07:01 AM
All I know is that the chicks are gona dig it.... I will let you try it out, if we ever run into each other...

I'll take you up on it, for sure. :)

OldePhart
03-22-2012, 07:02 AM
I'm having distinct memories of It Might Get Loud

Had to google that. I must be living under a rock... LOL

John

FrozenMango
03-24-2012, 05:14 AM
Mim, I would love to know what the sustain of the e series is like when compared to an acoustic uke? From what I can hear in the videos is longer? I also was curious if one could restring the e series evolve with different electric guitar strings provided that the gauges are correct and what kind of truss rod it has? Lastly I was wondering if they come with their own case or gig bag and if yes what it is like?

Thanks a lot!

vanflynn
03-24-2012, 05:27 AM
The vids look like they are a low G setup. Would the pickups respond properly if you tried a high G tuning?

WhenDogsSing
03-24-2012, 06:02 AM
The vids look like they are a low G setup. Would the pickups respond properly if you tried a high G tuning?

You could run a high G setup and it would sound great, no problem. The high G would just be an unwound string of an appropriate gauge.

WhenDogsSing
03-24-2012, 06:06 AM
Evolves are basically the same as what you get if you put a capo on the 5th fret of an electric guitar, minus the 2 bass strings of the guitar.

You can run different gauge string sets on them just as you can on an electric guitar.

Wicked
03-24-2012, 06:30 AM
Mim,

I second the question about a case....

Mim
03-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Mim,

I second the question about a case....

I believe they come with a gigbag, or the gigbag is extra. Sorry a lot of these answers are not solid. The specs arent on their website yet and there are some things I am learning with yall! I will add it to my question and hopefully will have some answers Monday afternoon!

Wicked
04-13-2012, 03:44 AM
Hey, Mim, any updates?

My want meter has moved firmly from black to red, but I need to get it before it changes back or moves to blue...

I so want to saunter into Wally's Jazz Cafe and tear the hell out of some Charlie Parker on my sexy little red thing-a-ma-jig. The cats won't know what hit them... and all the guitar kids from Berklee College of Music are going to order one.

aehalt
04-13-2012, 04:32 AM
is that a low Gb tuning?

Ukador
06-20-2012, 08:27 AM
Any news ?!

Wicked
06-21-2012, 05:58 AM
The lovely Lulu at Kamoa has informed me (after much nagging) that they are in full production. I expect that mim should have some in hand shortly.

Lulu also sent me some great photos that I will try to get up later today. The instrument is very tasty, and it has what appears to be a very nice case. The bridge hardware is different from the prototypes, so my suspicion is that sourcing the hardware may have been a contributing factor in the delay.

Mim
06-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Yes, you are right. The are FINALLY only about 2 weeks away... I hope... fingers crossed! I have some pics too. Are yours of the red one? I will see if I can get mine up as well. Only the E3 Evolves are coming out though. The customs will still be awhile :(

RyRod
06-21-2012, 11:04 AM
These are next on my list....

They look so sick.

Mim
06-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Ah, here ya go. What I love about Kamoa, is though these were delayed, I know it is because they are not going to release anythign that is no prestine and "ready"! Here is the red. They are coming in red, blue, black, and white. They all should be pretty slick!

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_5870.jpg
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_5871.jpg
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_5873.jpg
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_5874.jpg

Mim
06-21-2012, 11:05 AM
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_5875.jpg
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_5876.jpg

Mim
06-21-2012, 11:09 AM
There ya go. I have been fielding a lot of questions about these. Let me think... frequently asked questions...

it is somewhere between a concert and tenor scale. It has flat wound streel strings. Yes, replacement strings are available through Kamoa. The retail on the cases is somewhere around $60ish... a little more, but I cant remember the exact number. The sad thing is, I kept asking and we would keep forgetting to get an answer, and then when I did I accidentally deleted the e-mail with the answer.

These are going to be sweet.

Mim
06-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Hey, Mim, any updates?

My want meter has moved firmly from black to red, but I need to get it before it changes back or moves to blue...

I so want to saunter into Wally's Jazz Cafe and tear the hell out of some Charlie Parker on my sexy little red thing-a-ma-jig. The cats won't know what hit them... and all the guitar kids from Berklee College of Music are going to order one.

Haha... sorry I missed this when you first posted it. How about this... I am getting all colors. I am getting 20 in. So, I will take a picture of all colors side by side... but yes, according to those pics that red is aweful sexy and I am able to switch up colors since I should have a little extra of everything for starters.

RyRod
06-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Awesome!

Nice looking shop too!

Mim
06-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Awesome!

Nice looking shop too!

Their NAMM booth is always awesome as well! It is like a rainbow!!! Pretty colors!

mds725
06-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Mim, how do I get on the waiting list for one of these???? :)

Mim
06-21-2012, 11:34 AM
PM me... the problem is... I had a list I made and it got lost when I moved Mim's Ukes to my shop. I think I have everyone's info still on e-mail. But if yall read this you might as well write me one more time mim@mimsukes.com and I will send out invoiced the DAY they get in. I dont do deposits cause I dont want people to feel obligated if there is a delay and funds change etc.

So yeah, PM me the color and preference and what not. And I will post here when I have a tracking number and know the DAY they are coming in!!!

RyRod
06-21-2012, 11:48 AM
PM me... the problem is... I had a list I made and it got lost when I moved Mim's Ukes to my shop. I think I have everyone's info still on e-mail. But if yall read this you might as well write me one more time mim@mimsukes.com and I will send out invoiced the DAY they get in. I dont do deposits cause I dont want people to feel obligated if there is a delay and funds change etc.

So yeah, PM me the color and preference and what not. And I will post here when I have a tracking number and know the DAY they are coming in!!!

So tempting.......

Wicked
06-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Those were the same photos that I received. I am assuming that is Lulu hiding behind the counter.

Ukador
06-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Any info on the specific specs yet ? [ Wood, Eletrics ( Singlecoils or Humbuckers with a Singlecoil look etc. ) ]