Venezuelan Cuatro with Orig. Locking Hard Case: Cheap!

Tommy B

Reaction score
I'm moving this paragraph to the top. Please note: The action on this cuatro is high. Very high. Crazy high. I measured it at about 9/32nds of an inch at the 12th fret. It does not appear to be due to any neck deformation. The neck is straight and the intonation is good. But the action is high, as if it were designed that way. The strings look like high wires at a circus. Like four sleek suspension bridges spanning a deep gorge. Like the support cables for a ski lift. This may be the highest action I've seen on a stringed instrument that wasn't a stand-up bass. I don't know anything about cuatros, so I really don't know if this is normal. If you do, please let me know.

OK, here's the original ad:

I know almost nothing about Venezuelan cuatros, except that they're about the size of a baritone ukulele and tuned ADF#B. The tuning, as you may notice, is similar to the old Mainland tuning for ukuleles, but there's a big difference: The two outside strings are tuned an octave down. Theoretically, that means that ukulele fingerings should work on this thing. But the chords sure don't sound the same, and I'm too lazy and incurious to figure out how to play this.

If you're wondering what one of these sounds like when played properly, there are tons of videos on Youtube. (And yes, they can sound terrific.) This cuatro does not have any cracks or repairs. It looks to be in great shape. I think the soundboard is some kind of soft wood, with a darker "strum guard" overlaid over the top bout. The original locking case includes the key, and it, too, is in great shape and very cool. The instrument is surprisingly light as a feather, and the voice is very bright and loud.

Photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterbutt/sets/72157629191913446/

I'm asking $95 for the cuatro and case, plus actual shipping & insurance. Payment by check, money order or PayPal. Questions? Please PM me or email me at eightpaws (at) sbcglobal (dot) net.

Thanks -- Tom

Last edited:
Top Bottom