The word is getting around...

Chap

Reaction score
I was at a local grocery store, and happened to be wearing my UU shirt.

The checker noticed it, and the conversation went like this...

Checker- "That's a great shirt!".

Chap- "Thanks! The ukulele is my latest obsession".

Checker- "You know, there are people who play *real* music on those things. ".

She was so earnest and amazed at the same time, it amused me.

Chap- "Thanks! The ukulele is my latest obsession".

Checker- "You know, there are people who play *real* music on those things. ".

I don't believe it. After all, aren't 'ukuleles just toys?

What, people play *real* music on t-shirts?

Getoutatown!

Although I was given a tie once that has a keyboard built in.. Shame it only does one octave, and one note at a time...

-Kurt​

Yeah we got notes and chords and everything! It's amazing!

Nah, she was on our side, it's ok, it's just an instrument that somehow became the Rodney Dangerfield of instruments, gettin' no respect. :)

What, people play *real* music on t-shirts?

Getoutatown!

Although I was given a tie once that has a keyboard built in.. Shame it only does one octave, and one note at a time...

-Kurt​
Tie notes.......HaHa!!.....one note at a time. Gosh just look at the TIME. Gotta have a wee nap now.

Yeah we got notes and chords and everything! It's amazing!

Nah, she was on our side, it's ok, it's just an instrument that somehow became the Rodney Dangerfield of instruments, gettin' no respect. :)

I blame Tiny Tim... :)

I had an interesting experience at the grocery store yesterday, too. Only, mine had nothing to do with ukes.

The cashier was making small talk as he rang up my purchases and he asked if I'd found any cheap gas lately.

"Only when I eat beans," was my instantaneous response.

After a moment of stunned, "did he really say that to strangers" everybody around about fell on the floor laughing. I thought we were going to have to send for an ambulance for the little old lady that checked out just ahead of me.

I think that was when I realized that I may have reached that age when it's just not safe to let me out in public without supervision... :)

John

I forget that there's such a thing as small talk at the register. They don't do that here, but if they do, humor of any kind is much appreciated.... so that would be me. But what's the big deal it happens to everyone! :)

I had an interesting experience at the grocery store yesterday, too. Only, mine had nothing to do with ukes.

The cashier was making small talk as he rang up my purchases and he asked if I'd found any cheap gas lately.

After a moment of stunned, "did he really say that to strangers" everybody around about fell on the floor laughing. I thought we were going to have to send for an ambulance for the little old lady that checked out just ahead of me.

I think that was when I realized that I may have reached that age when it's just not safe to let me out in public without supervision... :)

John

i guess she wasn't the romantic type. :confused:

You know, I don't disagree with the cashier. I didn't myself take uke so seriously (and I learned to play in the 60's)--until I saw Jake S. (right now, you have to make that angelic Ahhh Ahhh tune in your head --as in "hearing the music.") Yeah, everyone loves him and Aldrine (ahh ahh) but seriously, While My Guitar Gently Weeps is about as serious as the uke gets. Astonishing.

I'm gonna stop using the self-checkout lane.

I get more comments when I wear my UU t-shirt/hoodies than any other things I wear.

There's just something about clothes with the word UKULELE on them that make people start up a conversation.
It's true I tell ya!
Cheers,
Skottoman

I guess Tiny Tim was a good musician but he set the ukulele back 30 years

It really is true. Sadly, the ukulele is seen as an instrument of comedy by most Americans. That is starting to change though, and it only takes a song or 2 to show people the light.

I had a similar experience at an open mic last week. People expected Tiny Tim, I gave them Pearl Jam and Bob Dylan. Got a TON of respect for the old guy guitar players there for it.

I dont' think people are genuinely prejudiced against the instrument, they just honestly don't know any better. Once you show them, they love it.

John

OMG, John that was funny!
(Remember, never trust a fart)

Top Bottom