Acquired my second tenor for low G

Eyeguy

Reaction score
Based on many UU recommendations here (translate - enablers), I have picked up another tenor uke for use with the low G tuning. It is a circa 1950 Gibson TU-2. This mahogany lass is very very sweet and offers a nice contrast to my recently acquired Kanile'a koa tenor. Playability is excellent, tone exquisite, and it actually exceeded my expectations, which is hard to do for me considering how I typically elevate expectations to near mythical proportions when I'm hunting something. Here are the requisite pics:

DSC_0017-1.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, and I completely understand. I also found myself acquiring a second tenor recently for the exact same excuse, er, reason!

Gorgeous! Nice pics too.

Beautiful - I wish everyone here would stop putting bad ideas into my head . . . :D

Holy Cow, Eyeguy, you're playing a GoKidd Classic Model (more than a year old)!
It looks sweet. Do you already have it strung linear? Did you listen to it with re-entrant tuning first?
Come on. You can admit it. You're among Enablers...

Thanks folks - I feel very honored to own it and look forward to acquiring the necessary skills to do it justice.

gokidd - It came strung re-entrant with Worth clears, which I really like by the way. I have a set of low G's on the way as we speak. I may actually put the low G's on my Kanile'a and leave this Gibson as is.

I do the same--eleuke is low g, mahogany Mainland is high G. I love both.

And there is always an excuse for another uke, sad to say. They are like Lay's chips (can't have just one.)

gokidd - It came strung re-entrant with Worth clears, which I really like by the way. I have a set of low G's on the way as we speak. I may actually put the low G's on my Kanile'a and leave this Gibson as is.

Yes, try all the combos. I also prefer the Worth clears (CT and CT-LG)! I just bought some PHD strings by Ukulele Creations, but have yet to try them.

Yes, try all the combos. I also prefer the Worth clears (CT and CT-LG)! I just bought some PHD strings by Ukulele Creations, but have yet to try them.

I have ORCA Low G on my Gibson Tenor, the ukulele seems to boom and has a sweet mellow voice.

Sailing, Maybe I will try the ORCA's next. BTW, is that 26 Gibson UB-2 a standard baritone uke or a banjo uke?

Top Bottom