2012 Northern California Uke Festival!

GKK

Reaction score
I'm taking vacation the first week of April so, I was just surfing the internet for somewhere to go and I found this!...http://www.ukulelefestivalnorcal.org/
http://www.ukulelefestivalnorcal.org/2012Flyer.pdf

This is an Awesome ukulele festival with very talented local Performers, several Vendors and good Food!

I'm so glad that Kamaka, KoAloha, Sonny D and Kala Ukulele's will be there this year!

If you're in the area, don't miss out!...

Last edited:
I love this festival. I got to perform there in 2011 with my ukulele class, the Kapilakiko Hawaiian Music Workshop Band, and I'll be perfoming with my ukulele class again this year. It was great talking to all the vendors there last year -- they're all really nice people. Be sure to buy stuff from Smiley at the Ukulele Source booth and Pudgy at the El Cerrito Music Works booth, and from all the other vendors there, and be sure to thank them all for supporting this ukulele festival. Great local luthiers, too. Mike DaSilva (Berkeley) and Tony Graziano (Santa Cruz) were both there last year. And Chris Kamaka was there with his band (playing my ukulele instructor's stand-up bass). Have a great time!

I will be there! I am really looking forward to it.
-Joe

Darn, gonna miss it AGAIN. I'm here on Maui, so much sun and beach to enjoy, someones got to do it, right? Going to a uke festival in Makawao Saturday, should be fun. Also checking out a Mele Custom Tenor at Mele Music that was traded in after less than a year for one of their higher end models. A phone call from Mele offering me a GREAT price for it peaked my curiosity....that may be my 8th Mele in 6 months,hehe...................................BO..........................

I plan to attend as well. I have heard that Kamaka sells uke's at the event. Can anyone confirm this? Also, does KoAloha sell there as well? I'm thinking this might be a good opportunity to pass along the $100 Cordoba Concert to the kids :)

I'll be there also. The location is so much better as compared to years past! Last year I just hung out on the grass, played ukulele with friends, and walked around and looked at the vendors.

Kamaka had their ukuleles out last year and it seemed like they were for sale, but I wasn't looking to buy from them so I am not positive.

Any way we can have a UU meet up there? It would be nice to meet some UU friends!

I'll be there with some folks from the San Jose Ukulele Club. One of our members is also in the Kalipani Strings group and does a mean hula!

Kamaka had some ukuleles for sale last year. I think Kamaka is there partly because Chris plays there, and I think the Kamaka family was friendly with the people who started the festival. (Kamaka also raffles off one of its ukuleles to a performer.) KoAloha wasn't a sponsor last year.

man I really wish I knew about this festival way longer in advance than two days ago...I would have taken the time off of work to get down there...it's only 2 hours away from where I live...

Anyone connected with the festival know if (or how many) tickets will be available at the door? I just noticed the deadline passed for advanced sales and I was hoping to attend.

There's too much going on that one day. The Reno/Tahoe Festival, Daniel Ho and Jason Arimoto are playing a show in San Jose, and the NorCal Ukefest all going on at the same time. I was bummed that I missed out on tickets to see Daniel and Jason, canceled my rooms in Reno, and missed out on the advanced sales for NorCal. I'm a mess!

My daughter and I went last year around 10am and bought tickets at the door.

There seemed to be plenty of tickets for sale and wasn't a big deal.

canceled my rooms in Reno, I'm a mess!
Bummer Goy, was looking forward to seeing you there. Been a while. I'm teaching a worksop on Friday and Saturday as well as performing on both the festival stage and the celebrity showroom on Saturday night. Too bad the timing worked out such that it gets in the way of attending the NorCal festival. I haven't been there for a few years now. The Reno fest ends at noon on Sunday but there is too much pavement between Reno and the bay area to make the NorCal fest.

We just got a confirmation from Stacy from the festival that we have a vendor spot! Uke Company will be there with a few of our best t-shirt designs! Come and say aloha. Our booth is #29 and if you mention Ukulele Underground I'll give you a free Uke Company sticker!

Joe

Well, right now the weather forecast says rain....which would make it hard on vendors and impossible to jam and mingle out on the grass. However, we'll see as it gets closer. Hopefully, the rain will avoid us (as it often does).

Well, right now the weather forecast says rain....which would make it hard on vendors and impossible to jam and mingle out on the grass. However, we'll see as it gets closer. Hopefully, the rain will avoid us (as it often does).

I need to sell umbrellas. heh.

Anyone connected with the festival know if (or how many) tickets will be available at the door? I just noticed the deadline passed for advanced sales and I was hoping to attend.

I don't have any inside information, but there were tickets at the door last year. The festival did sell out last year (I think sometime around noon) so it might be a good idea to get there early. I believe the number of tickets is determined by the number of seats is the venue. It may be possible to get into the vendor area without a ticket. I don't remember.

Today, the 10-day forecast at weather.com indicates it's going to be unsettled on Saturday but sunny on Sunday. The performances are indoors and the vendors are under an overhang, but wet weather would definitely inhibit outdoor jamming and playing.

The performances are held in the Auditorium (Bldg #1300) and the vendors will under the overhangs of that area as well as in the Grand Court (like last year? and hopefully decent weather). I believe there are enough overhangs to congregate and play if it does rain (not heavily) . . . And no, there is no fee (best of my knowledge) to access the vendor areas. Get there early before the program starts to procure your tickets. They were available last year and sold out before Noon (maybe earlier).

Last edited:
Here is the performance schedule

Code:
2012 'Ukulele Festival of Northern California
Performers Line-Up  **  April 1, 2012
Time Event / Performer

10:45 AM Pule ~ Star Spangled Banner ~ Welcome

1 11:00-11:10	Alula
2 11:15-11:25	Ukulele Club of Ventura County
3 11:30-11:40	'AHAmele
4 11:45-11:55	Kamakani Band
5 12:00-12:10	The Tover Brothers