PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good uke

BIGDB
03-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Ive never posted anything so I don't know if this is the right spot. But I'm looking for a good acoustic electric ukulele for around $400 I've been looking at lanakais but I don't know if those are good or not

Please help

BIGDB
03-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Also I want a tenor

Uke Republic
03-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Moku ukes should be in next week and are an excellent instrument. They use Fishman pick ups on their tenor cut aways The street price should be around $450.00 on the mahogany http://mokuukes.com/select-series-ukuleles/
Enjoy your search, lots of great choices.

Pondoro
03-22-2012, 12:01 AM
My Pono Concert cost ~$400 a few years ago, came with a pickup, I like it a lot. Not sure if they have a tenor.

benjoeuke
03-22-2012, 05:40 AM
I just posted a video review of my new Mainland Tenor, $300 w/case delivered. They offer one with a pickup for a few dollars more :) check it out:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?62474-New-Mainland-Tenor-Cutaway-w-Slothead

Sporin
03-22-2012, 06:09 AM
Hawaii Music Supply will add the Pono Passive Pickup to any Uke you order from them. I'm really happy with it in the Islander Tenor I got from them. Sounds great on my home am, and even better when plugged into the setup they had at the local open mic.

When I first started looking for a new uke I was focusing one ones with built in electrics but after a few weeks of reading here decided to find the UKE I really wanted, then have the electrics added instead of limiting my choices only to pre-electrified Ukes.

TheCraftedCow
03-22-2012, 06:50 PM
I have a koa Oscar Schmidt OU5E which I acquired on a trade. It plays well both acoustic and electric. I have used it a couple of times with a Roland Microcube. It is a sweet combination. Price of a Microcube either red or black and the uke for $285.00 I can send pics if you are interested enough to look. The MSRP on an OU5E is higher than the price for both a nice portable amp and the uke. My "Go To" electric acoustic is a model 10EL Giannini. It's in an altogether different class, but , if I did not have the 10EL, I really be quite satisfied with this OS5E. I also have an OU250 Bell and an OS autoharp.

BIGDB
03-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Is lanakai a good brand?

PoiDog
03-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Is lanakai a good brand?

For $400 toss that Lanikai in the bin (along with Kalas, Oscars, etc), and get yourself a Pono or Islander. Much more uke for your cash with one of those.

Hiddencross
03-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Is lanakai a good brand?

In my opinion, Lanikai is OK, I personally prefer Kala but it really depends on the model. Things like all-solid, solid-top, laminate, woods used etc. are going to be more important than the brand differences. In your price range I'd probably be looking at Mainland and Islander instead. OR I would contact Mim (mimsukes.com), Mike (ukerepublic.com), or MGM (theukulelesite.com) and get their advice.

BIGDB
03-23-2012, 09:39 AM
For $400 toss that Lanikai in the bin (along with Kalas, Oscars, etc), and get yourself a Pono or Islander. Much more uke for your cash with one of those.

Does kala make a acoustic electric?

mm stan
03-23-2012, 12:18 PM
keep an eye open and be patient..buy one from the marketplace and you can get a higher level uke
for a better price..Good Luck

BIGDB
03-24-2012, 07:13 PM
I think I'm probably just gonna save for a Martin t1k

patico
03-25-2012, 09:52 AM
i bought a Mainland Tenor w/ MiSi pickup, very nice uku for the money.
have played it amped and the pickup does a great job.

i use various pedals, delay, chorus, flanger, phaser, and this uku gets great sounds

give'em a try