Stringing affecting sustain?

snunez

Reaction score
i just re-strung my uke. i think i may have given a little too much slack on the strings before winding because the strings are wound all the way from the hole on the post down to where the post meets the headstock. the strings may even overlap a tiny bit at the very bottom.

i also noticed that the sustain isn't as good as before.. and it's not as loud. i'm not sure if this is due to my poor stringing job or to the new string brand that i'm using. the uke's in tune, the strings are tight and secure, and there's still a good angle of the strings at the nut, so in my mind this shouldn't really affect the sustain.. or would it?

Less sustain -- much more likely the effect of the brand of strings.
What kind of strings did you use?

I agree with Gokidd. I think that it's likely the strings which are causing the decrease in sustain.

As you mentioned, you've got a good angle at the nut; I can't imagine how having strings overlap on the posts would have any effect on sustain.

Seems more likely to cause tuning problems.

If you changed string brand that is the difference in sustain and volume.
You should have 2 or 3 wraps on the post, if you have overlap it can make holding tune difficult.
Also make sure your wraps go down from the hole, gives maximum break over the nut.

Top Bottom