question about finger placement for this chord

addicted2myuke

Reaction score
I'm learning "For No One" by the Beatles. The chord is D7/Csus4. I'm putting my index finger on the G string second fret, but not sure what to do for the E and A strings on the 3rd fret. What finger or fingers do I use? Thanks.

I'm sure someone will chime in with their reason why you shouldn't listen to me ;) but I say there is no rule here, do what is easiest for you, take into account which chords precede/follow the D7/Csus4. I'm kinda wondering what part of the song you are using that chord?

The D7/Csus4 comes after the lyrics "A love that should have lasted years" I got it from Richard G's ukulele songbook here on this site. Can't seem to find this chord anywhere to let me know the finger placement. Nothing feels comfortable.

Usually what comes after the slash is a bass note. The only exception is when you're playing two different chords with your two hands on a piano. This isn't something you could reasonably play on a guitar, let alone a ukulele. It's hard to picture someone putting that into a uke songbook and expecting anyone to play it. It would be a pretty jarring sound even on a piano, because the Csus4 would have an F and a G in it, and the D7 would have an F#. I wonder if maybe this is meant to be a D7, quickly followed by a Csus4, rather than simultaneous chords?

I have sheet music for the Revolver album. It shows a Dm for a measure when you sing "years", followed by two beats each of G11 and G7. If you're in a different key, and this monstrosity is supposed to represent a D11, you can play it as 0223. Or 0203 or even 0005.

My book is the same as uke4ia's, key of C, so ya, what he said :)
but I think this Richard G. guy is doing it in some other key, right?

If you play the chord as notated, it is a toughie. I prefer 2035 to the 2033 written. But, if you do it my way, you should change the next chord to 2025 which sounds a little a little different. So, here's the way I would finger the chord as shown: Index finger on the G string 2nd fret, ring finger E string 3rd fret, pinkie A string 3rd fret. If you use the middle and ring fingers on the E and A strings, they're pretty crowded. As you've probably noticed, it's really hard to bridge those two with the index finger up there on the G string (impossible for some of us). Also, using the ring and pinkie, you can easily get to the next chord. Just fret the E string 2nd fret and lift the ring finger.

Alternate, easy way that still sounds good: D7sus = 2233, D7 = 2223. These don't have the C bass, but they're the right chords otherwise. and they contain all the notes of the chords (sort of better). 2233 is two bridges and 2223 you just slide your two string bridge finger down to fret one string.

The chord is D7/Csus4.

The notation is unusual. If anything, I would write it as "D7sus4/C"? meaning C is the bass note, and sus4 is a part of D chord. Anyway, if so, it spells D G A C so

0 0 3 3 might work (G C G C), or 2 2 3 3 (A D G C) (barre 2nd), or 2 0 3 3 (A C G C) or 2 0 3 5 (A C G D)

Since the bass note (C) is indicated, how your voice the chords right before and right after will be critical to make it sound "right"

Cheers
Chief

PS: Just curious, what are the chords before and after?

The chord before it is AM/C and after it is G. I don't know tabs yet. They confuse me. I feel as if everything is backwards and I have to unlearn all I have learned using chord boards. Alas!

So Am/C -- Dsus4/C -- G,

I would do

2 0 0 0 (I x x x)

2 0 3 3 (I x R A) [A = pinky]

0 2 3 2 ( x I R M)

Cheers
Chief

I'm sure someone will chime in with their reason why you shouldn't listen to me ;) but I say there is no rule here, do what is easiest for you, take into account which chords precede/follow the D7/Csus4. I'm kinda wondering what part of the song you are using that chord?

I'll chime in and tell you I totally agree with you! No such thing as correct finger placement. Sure, some are easier than others, but it depends what you are playing

Top Bottom