My uke is humming from the soundhole :(

nin9g

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why this would be? Currently using a Mahalo but should have my new Luna next week...
String change? Or poor quality uke?? Be a good thing to know for my new uke.
Thanks!! :)

I think I can solve that for you. Obviously an elf walking by, fell into the soundhole and is humming pleasantly to gently let you know he's there inside, trapped but not panicking, at least...not yet.

To remove pesky elves from your uke, speak into the soundhole saying "Oma oma onomatopoeia" which is Elvish for "Help is on the way! Stay strong, my friend." Then look for his tiny hands hanging onto the rosette. Now turn over your uke and shake, but gently, gently, my friend. The elf will drop out (it is kind to have a velvet pillow handy as a landing pad) and he will thank you by farting, which will have sparkles, smell like roses and will make you cry when it's over.

could a fly or other flying insect be trapped in there? but wow, I love Gwynedd's theory. seriously , maybe somethings loose, can you hear any rattling if you shake or tap it. be careful you don't piss the elf off though!

Dang! That was an elf I threw in the dumpster last week! I'm a little worried about what that might do to my karma...

Seriously, OP, "humming from the sound hole" is not really much information to go on. I think we'd need a better, more detailed, description to have any hope of helping you.

John

Once you have helped the elf to depart, if the buzzing persists, the elf could have dislodged a brace or other element inside or it's more than likely that a string is hitting the fret wire near the sound hole.

OldPhart, dumping an elf in a Dumpster? I hope it was a Dumpster Brand Dumpster and not a second-rate Trashco Waste Container (see The Simpsons, Otto the Bus Man does a good run down of the relative merits.) In any case, you're hosed.

Last edited:
Whatever is inside the ukulele must have forgotten the words and is humming.
Seriously, buzzes can travel, look for something loose tuner, brace, etc. I have also heard string ends at the bridge resting on the top can buzz.
Good luck !!

Hmmmmmm ,............hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

(first of all, I'm crackin up!! Because I DID find an elf!! You guys really know your stuff!! ;))

Ok but really LOL why would it hum, or buzz or just not sound right? :(
I hope it's not my playing!! I only play it EVERY CHANCE I GET and for only like 5-6 hours at a time...

Could there be ANOTHER elf in there? Nothing is loose that I can tell (except maybe my marbles)

You guys crack me up.
Elves always travel in pairs...

You haven't mentioned what tune is being hummed??

Of COURSE you found an elf, I am infallible in these arcane areas of knowledge. However, elves that are dumb enough to fall into soundholes are generally loners, too stupid to have elvish friends. So I am sure it was a singleton elf and you got him, good for you!

There is some lore about how to troubleshoot a buzz but it concerns (whisper it!) GUITARS..... but worth a check. AND most importantly, do you have BARRY MAZ'S (UU'er) book on everything you want to know about Ukes?

It is a terrific book. I refer to it all the time. Kind of an owner's manual. You should have a copy. Everyone really should.

Nothing about elves in this edition, however. I am writing to Barry to tell him he should include humming elf issues in his next edition. Aside from that deficiency, it is a worthy tome.

Hmmm you gotta evict them bee's...LOL
explain what the Humming sounds like.. it could be a Hummingbird is using your uke as a home..hee hee

Well... I'm almost feeling like I want the lone elf to just be content in my sound hole...BECAUSE.... I got my NEW LUNA today!!! I know there are no elves in this one! What beautiful sound this little baby has!! I love it so much!!

Elves can stay in the Mahalo for now, but I think I'm going to look into that book!! :)
Thanks!!!!

And one more thing... How can you NOT love a ukulele (player ;))!

My boss told me I was probably the ONLY one in Iowa so if anyone knows anymore... Let me know!! :)

OK now before the Mahalo goes in the closet for the next 20 years, how about making a video / audio clip so we can hear the humming?

Because you want to hear the elves? Or just hear my jams? :eek: :nana:

Ah, nin9g, you should be careful. It's well known that Iowa state law prohibits more than ONE ukulele player residing in the state at any given time, so you are IT and protect your turf!

Top Bottom