PDA

View Full Version : A Mya Moe Baritone for $100??? SURELY NOT...

Hippie Dribble
03-22-2012, 09:36 PM
well, no, but you can always DIY...

2 weeks ago I bought a cheap baritone from ebay. It was this one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120864364404?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

As some of you might know, I'm obsessed with Mya Moe ukes. I've owned 10 in my time but my lust for them left me in financial ruin around the middle of last year. I sold off most of them and now own 3.

Lamenting the fact that I may never be able to afford another one again, I've spent the last couple of days overhauling my laminate Tanglewood model. She now looks like this:

Not sure I'll get $1500 for it :p but the process was a whole bunch of fun.
1. sanded back the top and headstock
2. a coat of white primer
3. painted the body and head, and some decorations on the back
4. replaced the geared tuners with a set of cheap friction tuners, wood puttied over the leftover screw holes
5. stuck on some inlay stickers
6. applied a gloss lacquer to seal it

bingo, she's done. It has a set of black nylon strings on it which I really like the sound of, and is tuned in DGBE. Yummy tone, so warm and rich. And so she's now decked out with her Mya Moe signature 'classic' features; the abalone rosette and fretboard markers and the giveaway headstock design.

Here's a quick demo I recorded this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqQWzIyO3Y0

I've also started writing a silly song about the metamorphosis which I'll record and send along to Gordon and Char when it's done.

Thanks for reading gang, just wanted to share. OCD? Too much time on my hands? Yea to both, oh well he he...the obsession continues... :o

drbekken
03-22-2012, 09:49 PM
This is the work of a true genius, Jon. I'm deeply impressed!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-22-2012, 09:56 PM
So that's a mango top now? Or red cedar? I can't tell.

Hippie Dribble
03-22-2012, 09:58 PM
This is the work of a true genius, Jon. I'm deeply impressed!
It's all your fault brother, I hope you're willing to accept full responsibility for this abomination :p

weerpool
03-22-2012, 10:01 PM
youre quite an inspiration man, thank you.

Hippie Dribble
03-22-2012, 10:01 PM
So that's a mango top now? Or red cedar? I can't tell.
ha ha...got it first time Ralf...and a very ripe mango at that :)

Camsuke
03-22-2012, 10:03 PM
They say "necessity is the mother of invention" and you sir have just proved it, well done mate. I'm sure this one will open a whole new world of Eugeniusness, not that you need any help.

mm stan
03-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Aloha Eugene,
You make that tanglewood sound like a true Mya Moe...great job and great playing...your obcession and the
mother of invention.. Darn you make anything sound good....bet if you had a tin can and a broomstick handle
with some fishing string, it would sound awesome LOL....thank you for sharing

Hippie Dribble
03-22-2012, 11:28 PM
youre quite an inspiration man, thank you.
cheers weerpool, it was really just a bit of fun to fuel the obsession, thanks mate

They say "necessity is the mother of invention" and you sir have just proved it, well done mate. I'm sure this one will open a whole new world of Eugeniusness, not that you need any help.
"Eugeniusness" he he...good work Cam!!! Like. :)

Aloha Eugene,
You make that tanglewood sound like a true Mya Moe...great job and great playing...your obcession and the
mother of invention.. Darn you make anything sound good....bet if you had a tin can and a broomstick handle
with some fishing string, it would sound awesome LOL....thank you for sharing
you're too kind Bruddah, really. Even though they look to be cheap nylon strings, I really like the sound of the uke. And yeah mate, 'necessity is sure the mother of replication' he he :o

ukuleledaveey
03-23-2012, 12:31 AM
She's a beaut mate :) wow is there no end to your talents, im thinking of buying one of those tanglewoods, they have them in southern ukulele store for a hundred quid with hard case or there is a kala bari on ebay for 39 with no bids that im keepin my eye on.
Thanks for sharing and great job on the uke oh, congrats on winning the six seasons :)

IrishKevin
03-23-2012, 01:05 AM
Brilliant sir! Inspiration to get me self one!

fitncrafty
03-23-2012, 01:09 AM
It's probably the ONLY way I would ever own a mya-moe (cost not quality, I LOVE those things) Funny thread thread to read so early in the am!

Hippie Dribble
03-23-2012, 01:22 AM
It's probably the ONLY way I would ever own a mya-moe (cost not quality, I LOVE those things) Funny thread thread to read so early in the am!

funny Carrie? Eh? you find this funny?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwxwUiDbRCk

:)

Hippie Dribble
03-23-2012, 01:24 AM
Brilliant sir! Inspiration to get me self one!

aaah, indeed brother, now we can ALL have one. Cheers Kevin!

(Or if you like mate I'll sell it to you for a grand he he)

kaizersoza
03-23-2012, 02:14 AM
all good stuff Jon, the uke sounds great m8

fitncrafty
03-23-2012, 02:19 AM
funny Carrie? Eh? you find this funny?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwxwUiDbRCk

:)

Cute and funny Jon! Ariana and I are cracking up! I am serious that it is probably the only way that I will ever own a mya moe! Unless you make me one! Are you going into business Jon?

Plainsong
03-23-2012, 02:21 AM
Your Mea-Moe sounds great! Good choice on the color too. Maybe you should make that Harmony into a CollinS (The mm stan tribute model). :D

Hippie Dribble
03-23-2012, 02:23 AM
Unless you make me one! Are you going into business Jon?
:stop: sssssh mate, Gordon and Char might find out... :uhoh:

Hippie Dribble
03-23-2012, 02:26 AM
Maybe you should make that Harmony into a CollinS (The mm stan tribute model). :D

HAHAHAHAHA...Talk about laugh out loud Kim...he he. Biggest laugh I've had all day!!!!!!! You naughty... :biglaugh:

Let's give Bill a call and ask him if he can do a custom headstock for our dear Bruddah minus the 'g'

Hippie Dribble
03-23-2012, 02:27 AM
all good stuff Jon, the uke sounds great m8

cheers Richard, more than one way to skin a cat eh mate. Hope you're recovering and starting to feel better after your op bro

mm stan
03-23-2012, 02:29 AM
Your Mea-Moe sounds great! Good choice on the color too. Maybe you should make that Harmony into a CollinS (The mm stan tribute model). :D
Hey K....I rather have Joan Collins when she was younger....that earlier model I will surely endorse.... ha ha LOL

Hippie Dribble
03-23-2012, 02:33 AM
Hey K....I rather have Joan Collins when she was younger....that earlier model I will surely endorse.... ha ha LOL
man that's hilarious. I just lost a mouthful of coffee down the front of my strides Bruddah :rofl::biglaugh: wow, just imagine...a whole batch of Joanies on a production line...whew, high retail for those

mm stan
03-23-2012, 03:01 AM
man that's hilarious. I just lost a mouthful of coffee down the front of my strides Bruddah :rofl::biglaugh: wow, just imagine...a whole batch of Joanies on a production line...whew, high retail for those

Hey Eugene....
Now that is down right scary...ha ha maybe no more midnite delights....ha ha

kaizersoza
03-23-2012, 04:48 AM
cheers Richard, more than one way to skin a cat eh mate. Hope you're recovering and starting to feel better after your op bro

I must admit Jon I always enjoy your vidz, you got a great sense of humour, as for the op all is good and back to work on Monday m8, thanx for asking

chrimess
03-23-2012, 05:30 AM
Hi Eug,
Are you going to dress up your new Luna tenor like this, too?

chrimess
03-23-2012, 05:37 AM
Really high maintenance, too...

austin1
03-23-2012, 05:38 AM
eugene, it looks really, really nice! Points to you, if I tried to paint my own ukes, they would wind up hit pink with dragons on them, not sleek and sexy like your diy mya moe. And it has nothing to do with anything, but I like your hat.

Dan Uke
03-23-2012, 06:37 AM
Jon

No singing? I know you had serious skills playing but didn't pay that much attention cuz I enjoyed the singing. You can now come out with your "Kimo Hussey" Baritone songs. Great playing!!

Hippie Dribble
03-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Hi Eug,
Are you going to dress up your new Luna tenor like this, too?
aarrrrghghghh, wouldn't dare brother, wouldn't dare :o

Hippie Dribble
03-23-2012, 11:10 AM
eugene, it looks really, really nice! Points to you, if I tried to paint my own ukes, they would wind up hit pink with dragons on them, not sleek and sexy like your diy mya moe. And it has nothing to do with anything, but I like your hat.
thanks Tina. Hot Pink with Dragons? Yummy, bring it on!!! Got the hat a few months back at the Wilderness Shop, down in Hobart's famous Salamanca Place http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salamanca_Place. I've got a bit of a thing for beanies actually... :)

Hippie Dribble
03-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Jon

No singing? I know you had serious skills playing but didn't pay that much attention cuz I enjoyed the singing. You can now come out with your "Kimo Hussey" Baritone songs. Great playing!!

cheers Daniel but you're being too kind mate...that was spur of the moment and rough as guts but I do love the sound of these things :)

TCK
03-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Dang it- this thread is HILARIOUS....how did I miss this one?

ukuleledaveey
03-24-2012, 10:52 AM
I got a kala baritone today and i blame eugines influence lol :)