A Mya Moe Baritone for $100??? SURELY NOT...

H

Hippie Dribble

well, no, but you can always DIY...

2 weeks ago I bought a cheap baritone from ebay. It was this one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120864364404?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

As some of you might know, I'm obsessed with Mya Moe ukes. I've owned 10 in my time but my lust for them left me in financial ruin around the middle of last year. I sold off most of them and now own 3.

Lamenting the fact that I may never be able to afford another one again, I've spent the last couple of days overhauling my laminate Tanglewood model. She now looks like this:

DSCF0916.jpgDSCF0949.jpgDSCF0945.jpgDSCF0920.jpgDSCF0944.jpg

Not sure I'll get $1500 for it :p but the process was a whole bunch of fun.
1. sanded back the top and headstock
2. a coat of white primer
3. painted the body and head, and some decorations on the back
4. replaced the geared tuners with a set of cheap friction tuners, wood puttied over the leftover screw holes
5. stuck on some inlay stickers
6. applied a gloss lacquer to seal it

bingo, she's done. It has a set of black nylon strings on it which I really like the sound of, and is tuned in DGBE. Yummy tone, so warm and rich. And so she's now decked out with her Mya Moe signature 'classic' features; the abalone rosette and fretboard markers and the giveaway headstock design.

Here's a quick demo I recorded this morning:

I've also started writing a silly song about the metamorphosis which I'll record and send along to Gordon and Char when it's done.

Thanks for reading gang, just wanted to share. OCD? Too much time on my hands? Yea to both, oh well he he...the obsession continues... :eek:

Last edited:
Aloha Eugene,
You make that tanglewood sound like a true Mya Moe...great job and great playing...your obcession and the
mother of invention.. Darn you make anything sound good....bet if you had a tin can and a broomstick handle
with some fishing string, it would sound awesome LOL....thank you for sharing

Last edited:
youre quite an inspiration man, thank you.
cheers weerpool, it was really just a bit of fun to fuel the obsession, thanks mate
They say "necessity is the mother of invention" and you sir have just proved it, well done mate. I'm sure this one will open a whole new world of Eugeniusness, not that you need any help.
"Eugeniusness" he he...good work Cam!!! Like. :)
Aloha Eugene,
You make that tanglewood sound like a true Mya Moe...great job and great playing...your obcession and the
mother of invention.. Darn you make anything sound good....bet if you had a tin can and a broomstick handle
with some fishing string, it would sound awesome LOL....thank you for sharing
you're too kind Bruddah, really. Even though they look to be cheap nylon strings, I really like the sound of the uke. And yeah mate, 'necessity is sure the mother of replication' he he :eek:

She's a beaut mate :) wow is there no end to your talents, im thinking of buying one of those tanglewoods, they have them in southern ukulele store for a hundred quid with hard case or there is a kala bari on ebay for £39 with no bids that im keepin my eye on.
Thanks for sharing and great job on the uke oh, congrats on winning the six seasons :)

It's probably the ONLY way I would ever own a mya-moe (cost not quality, I LOVE those things) Funny thread thread to read so early in the am!

It's probably the ONLY way I would ever own a mya-moe (cost not quality, I LOVE those things) Funny thread thread to read so early in the am!

funny Carrie? Eh? you find this funny?????

:)

all good stuff Jon, the uke sounds great m8

Your Mea-Moe sounds great! Good choice on the color too. Maybe you should make that Harmony into a CollinS (The mm stan tribute model). :D

Maybe you should make that Harmony into a CollinS (The mm stan tribute model). :D

HAHAHAHAHA...Talk about laugh out loud Kim...he he. Biggest laugh I've had all day!!!!!!! You naughty... :biglaugh:

Let's give Bill a call and ask him if he can do a custom headstock for our dear Bruddah minus the 'g'

Top Bottom