Ukulele Hard Shell Case Harness?

MikeR

Reaction score
sI just got a new Pono ATD with the Oahu hardshell case. I'd like to be able to carry it with a strap over my shoulder but as a standard hardshell case, it doesn't come with strap hooks.

Do you know of any ukulele case covers or a harness that I could buy to carry it around easier?

Thanks =)

A Uke Pak

I am a leathercraftsman and an upholsterer. It allows me to make the best of both worlds. I have made several of Uke Paks. They are shaped to enclose the bottom part of the case so it cannot come out. The back of it extends up to the top of the case so the top top attaching point of the single messenger strap or the double back pack straps attach where you want it to be. If you want the bottom of the uke slapping your butt, have the top where the straps come right off your shoulders to the top of the uke case. If the neck is higher, so will be the bottom. If you want to be frugal, just go to the thrift stores and get a day pack and put the case in it and close the draw strings at the top. If you want to have particular colours and fabrics, then have it custom made. I have 16 different colours of strapping material alone. I do not use metal parts. Every hard part is Delrin nylon. A #5 chain zipper with double sliders means it can be opened from either side. I dislike straps which are so short a case can't be worn over a jacket. You tell me what length strap or straps, and that's what you get with some adjustability as well. If you have one made for a concert, a soprano and a concert case will fit in it. A tenor size means the smaller ones will flop around unless we put in a cinch strap keep the case in place. I appreciate hook and loop fastener (Velcro r)

Last edited:
Hey Crafty, that sounds way cool! I love the compactness of my soprano hardshell, much smaller than my featherweight molded hardcase, but no strappy.
I prefer the backpack style straps, but it's nice if they can be removed when wanting to go "messenger" style.
How much for a nice snug fitting soprano size?
thx

I'd love to see a picture or two if you have them also! This sounds like a cool idea! I even live (somewhat) close to you (South of PDX)

I've used this BackAxe strap set. There's one for guitars and a "small instrument model." It worked okay, but I found it a little cumbersome. You have to basically dismantle it to get into the case and reassembe it when you need to use it again. I thought it might work better if there were some way to attach the straps to the case at a few key spots, just so that it would stay im place while you're using the instrument.

meacst.jpg

TheCraftedCow, I'd also love to see what your harness looks like. How much do you think you would sell them for? Thanks!

Last edited:
I pulled out my hard cases last night. I have a Uke Crazy Concert size which will work well for sop. and con.. I did one for someone who had a custom ukulele with PacMan up the fretboard. I inlaid the same design in the front of his bag. He has a uke related website. Alas,.. I don't remember who it was or his site. It would be quicker for me to make a new one than to go through my records, or my pictures folder.

The Crafted Cow: Do you have a shop in Salem? My feeble brain has a hard time visualizing your system, but it sounds cool. I don't relish putting screws in my case, so I'd really like to see what you are talking about. Do you sell these?

A Uke Pak

Wow! this came out of the archives, didn't it? I enjoy helping people made their ideas into realities. The picture of the BackAxe does look like a parachute rigger's thoughts of how to "git 'er done".
Everything has its strengths and its weaknesses, so what might appeal to one person might not appeal to someone else. Could I come up with something to mass produce and sell? Probably. Do I want to mass produce something that is almost what someone wants? No !!! Cases are different and people who carry them are even more different. What would work for Jake would have been totally wrong for IZ, and the other way around, as well. I have no idea of how to do a one size-shape-colour fits all, nor do I even want to try. It is not about what I want, it really is about helping create what YOU have in mind. 503-364-0854 or
thecraftedcow@comcast.net

I am looking to buy a hard case for my concert uke so I can take it on the plane with me over Thanksgiving. The Kala Uke Crazy cases are good quality, they come with loops and a strap, and even a hydrometer, but they do not have an arched top. I'm very paranoid that the airline may hand over my uke to their gorillas at the gate. (Alaska/Verizon flight -- small plane. They've taken my carry-on before.) So I want an arched top. The Oahu cases are very nice, I think I'm going to order one of those. I was thinking about taking it to the shoe repair guy to rivet on some loops for straps. Then I searched the forum, and found this thread.

It's funny I didn't even think about just putting the lower bout of the case in a small day pack, zipping it up each side, and carrying it that way. I'm still intrigued by what you described. For that matter, if someone could sew they could just make a form-fitting bag with straps to carry it in. I'd buy one of those.

Top Bottom