WTB Mainland Mahogany Tenor with Slotted Headstock and MiSi pickup

I'd also like get one of these (even though I have no money) but I'm not sure if they're made anymore. I believe there was one for sale on here a while back. Have you checked the Mainland website?

Have you checked with Mike at Mainland? These might be back in stock again because I just noticed that there is a new review of one in the reviews forum.

I got mine a few months ago but it was an eBay purchase of one about 2 years old. Great uke. First uke I've actually liked strung low G.

John

They have them on the website, but it says they're out of stock. Then I left a message asking when they'll have more in stock or if they have any factory seconds. Mike from Mainland responded back, saying they had one (w/o pickup) with "slight cosmetic flaws". Then I asked how much it would be to install a pickup and if he could share what the specific flaws were. He responded with "I don't want to invest putting in a pick-up if you are too concerned with the cosmetics. Mike"

I'm trying to figure out what he meant by that.. is he saying that my question about the cosmetics was out of line? I'm kind of anal about these things, so I just wanted to make sure the flaw was something I could live with. I thought it was a pretty reasonable question, but then again I don't know what the etiquette is since the uke is being sold at a discount. Or is he simply just saying that it's company policy to not install pickups on factory seconds?

They have them on the website, but it says they're out of stock. Then I left a message asking when they'll have more in stock or if they have any factory seconds. Mike from Mainland responded back, saying they had one (w/o pickup) with "slight cosmetic flaws". Then I asked how much it would be to install a pickup and if he could share what the specific flaws were. He responded with "I don't want to invest putting in a pick-up if you are too concerned with the cosmetics. Mike"

I'm trying to figure out what he meant by that.. is he saying that my question about the cosmetics was out of line? I'm kind of anal about these things, so I just wanted to make sure the flaw was something I could live with. I thought it was a pretty reasonable question, but then again I don't know what the etiquette is since the uke is being sold at a discount. Or is he simply just saying that it's company policy to not install pickups on factory seconds?

Mike has one of the best return policies in the business. I don't want to speak for him but I suspect he probably even takes back seconds if the buyer isn't satisfied (most sellers don't). The pickups are expensive (I suspect that he makes little if any profit on them) and a pain to install so he's probably a little leary of putting one in a uke that might bounce. He probably picked up that you were a "little anal about these things" (your words) and felt it was best for both of you to simply pass.

BTW, I've seen some of his "seconds" when I was at UWC last year and most of them would be sold as normal by other companies in that price range.

John

Why don't you ask Mike what he meant?

Good luck trying...
...I've given up on trying to buy a second mainland because neither my emails or phone message have been returned over the last two weeks :(

The last email I got from you was on March 4th and I responed to it, if you called you didn't leave a mesage.

The last email I got from you was on March 4th and I responed to it, if you called you didn't leave a mesage.

My follow-up questions were not responded to, and yes I left a message so you may want to see if your machine is working properly. Glad to hear I wasn't being snubbed, and I may try ordering again when I return from vacation.

Last edited:
One of my rules in regards to 2nds is, they can't be a disraction from my regular customers, which typically means if I'm busy (and I'm almost always busy), don't ask for pics or turn it into a drawn out saga if you want a deal.

still would love one of these if someone's trying to sell..

Top Bottom