Love you guys

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Hey, I love this community. Just got my free template drawing of a soprano shrine uke and was offered some wood by a member here. Your generosity is without measure friends - I salute and thank you :)

Oh and my 5' plank of 12" wide quartersawn 7/4 koa arrived and I nearly fainted when I put my new jointer plane to it - nice tiger curl popping all over the board front and back. An ebay AAA purchase, never mind the $160 shipping and $200 taxes - it was worth every cent. Sending it to my precision sawyer next week - one piece front and backs here I come :)

Pete, an other thing and a bit off thread maybe. I believe you mentioned once (if I recall correct) that you was in process of making yourself a parlor guitar for private use a while back. Did you complete it, and if, do you have any pictures of it around?

It might be I've missed it, if you posted it. I'm a quite regular lurker on this forum, but lately I've been busy. I like your art deco'ish style, and I'd like to see how that came about on a parlor. Thanks.

forgive my naivety.. but, what is the appeal of one piece fronts and backs? I like the balanced look of a bookmatch on an instrument. The only reasons I can think of are less joints, and maybe it is a traditional thing? Some wood will look excellent as on piece, some will look asymmetrical. Am I artistically challenged?

Asymetry, no seam to separate 10 years down the line... oh and laziness on my part. Parlor is still in bits. Won't be doing that til later in the year...

What does a shrine uke look like??
Good thing its not a Shriner uke or you'd have to wear a fez and drive a tiny car around while playing it :biglaugh:

Simple - bridge plate for soprano and tone bars for concert... it's what I am going to use anyway:)

Top Bottom