PDA

View Full Version : My poor family...

OldePhart
03-23-2012, 12:19 PM
So, last night I decided I've been lazy lately and I really need to work on my shuffle blues. So, my family was treated to about 2-1/2 to 3 hours of nothing but | C C6 C7 C6 | F F6 F7 F6 | C C6 C7 C6 | G G6 G7 G6 | F F6 F7 F6 | C C6 C7 C6 | G(triplet) z G7 |

The really sad part...I feel another bout of that coming on tonight...

On the plus side - I've almost reached the point where my blues shuffle in C is on auto pilot. LOL

John

mm stan
03-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Ha ha John,
I hope you put up a warning sign for tonight..hee hee sometimes we filter everything out when we get
into our uke playing mode..buy a quart of ice cream to smoothen things out afterwards..ha ha

bazmaz
03-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Nice! Nothing I like more sometimes than some laid back blues turnarounds.

WhenDogsSing
03-23-2012, 01:34 PM
I love it...My wife gets sick of me playing that stuff too but I still love it...You made me laugh for sure...!!! Hee! Hee! Hee!

Gwynedd
03-23-2012, 01:42 PM
A friend from college found me on FB after thirty some years. He still remembered all our fun times. As in, how he got rid of a highly undesireable roommate.

He and his friend sat around and sang "McNamara's Ragtime Band" (ONE MORE TIME!) nonstop for two days. Sleep time: give up two nights. Roommate leaving? Priceless!

So do a check...is your family's stuff still there and the family car and dog? They are? OK!

Pondoro
03-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Well, I had to try that and I recognize the pattern. I know I've heard it in a bunch of blues songs. How do you work it into the song? Or do you start with this and write a song that fits it?

AcousticBuckeye
03-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Can you post a sound clip?

SuzukHammer
03-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Can you post a sound clip?

and loop it so we can understand the gravity of this.

TCK
03-23-2012, 06:57 PM
HILARIOUS ^^^
Aye Mr. Olde and Flatulent...you need to just remind your family of exactly how LUCKY they are to have to such fine entertainment at their immediate call.
I do that all the time ;)
Would like to see how you throw those bits into a tune though...I feel a video coming on

Uke Whisperer
03-24-2012, 12:35 AM
John, why not record the session so the family can watch and listen to it when you're not home? I'm sure they would appreciate it...
(Then you could share it with us for educational purposes!)

SuzukHammer
03-24-2012, 12:56 AM
I think this could become a UU contest where each contestant adds a verse to the progression with any thing (harmonica solo, singing, uke solo, uke blues riffs, drum solos, whatever).

1st place prize could be tennis lessons,
2nd place prize could be a autographed Steven King "The Shining" book or movie,
3rd place prize could be a free weekend in Clarksdale Mississippi
4th place prize would be sharing the stage with OldPharte for this song at UWC 2012.

hehe. I'm actually starting to play this progression at home; but, I need Oldpharte's version so I Know if I got it right.

Anyways somebody could combine the verses videos over John's loop. Maybe that's for 5th place.

Gwynedd
03-24-2012, 01:15 AM
John, why not record the session so the family can watch and listen to it when you're not home? I'm sure they would appreciate it...
(Then you could share it with us for educational purposes!)

My, that is an excellent suggestion. You can make a video with an endless loop, hardwire the video player directly to the mains so it cannot be cut off without shutting down every other thing in the house.

If that kind of wiring project is impractical for you, you can add the clip in front and in the middle of all home videos and taped movies. Then more clever of you folks will figure out how to make it a "must-see" just like those obnoxious previews you can't fast-forward past on DVD rentals. Think of the cries of joy when your wife is showing her mother (yet again) your wedding video and it's well and truly interspersed with your uke performance. I do not recommend taping OVER the entire thing unless you do want the result that will have.

Remember; the customer may always be right, but if the audience disagrees with you, THEY'RE wrong.

barefootgypsy
03-24-2012, 01:22 AM
I wonder whether there's a difference here between the men and the girls....... men play, family put up with it..... women play - and have to go in another room.......? At least that's how it is in our house! How do the rest of the girls get on?

UK Paulie
03-24-2012, 01:50 AM
HILARIOUS ^^^
Aye Mr. Olde and Flatulent...you need to just remind your family of exactly how LUCKY they are to have to such fine entertainment at their immediate call.

heehee!! I've been chuckling away to myself reading this thread... I may have to try that one though, TCK, I'm not sure how well it will go down given the fact that my better half has already taken to referring to my Ohana as 'the other woman'..... I just cant help it! Solid mahogany...cutaway....Ah...true love... ;)

Gwynedd
03-24-2012, 02:07 AM
my better half has already taken to referring to my Ohana as 'the other woman'

Aren't you lucky? Isn't it some kind of fantasy to have one while the other one is watching? Does she watch? Am I out of line? I am sorry. (No. I am not. I lied.)

OldePhart
03-24-2012, 05:15 AM
I wonder whether there's a difference here between the men and the girls....... men play, family put up with it..... women play - and have to go in another room.......? At least that's how it is in our house! How do the rest of the girls get on?

Well, I am in another room. The walls are thin though. And I noticed the TV gradually getting louder and louder on the other side of the wall... LOL

barefootgypsy
03-24-2012, 05:24 AM
Well, I am in another room. The walls are thin though. And I noticed the TV gradually getting louder and louder on the other side of the wall... LOL
Now I feel better! :D

OldePhart
03-24-2012, 05:34 AM
Next time I have a quiet house and the video stuff set up I'll try to remember to record the shuffle. It's really not a big deal. The R R6 R7 R6 pattern with a shuffle rhythm strum is what makes it instantly identifiable. Almost any turnaround really breaks it up and takes the "boring" out of it.

Of course you can play a shuffle without the R R6 R7 R6 pattern but I've always loved the distinctive sound of that progression and it's really easy on the uke in the keys of C, D, E, G, and A. Maybe one of these days when I get all five keys on autopilot I'll do a shuffle lesson video. LOL

A shuffle twelve bar blues is great for playing solos over, too. I used to jam with some guys on guitars and we'd take turns switching off between playing the shuffle and soloing. You can literally do this for hours without it getting boring with the right bunch of players.

A lot of harp-centric blues is played over a shuffle backing.

As for songs sung blue, it's been used in quite a few old blues standards - more delta or Chicago blues than Texas blues, I think.

John

OldePhart
03-24-2012, 06:44 AM
Somebody asked about vocals with a blues shuffle. Here's an example or two:

Bo-Diddley's version is the quintessential 12-bar blues shuffle. You can see how this song can easily be sung over a 12-bar blues using the R R6 R7 R6 progression in each measure even though that progression is mostly being provided by the bassline here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQAvWte8w0c

Creedence got a little further from the pure shuffle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXgff4iqaiI&feature=fvst

Clapton starts with the pure shuffle and adds some wicked solos over the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfqKxtVEMlI

Oh...and I think those three videos are way more instructive than anything I could come up with!

Well...okay...they don't help much with the fingering for those chord progressions...maybe I'll get a chance to rectify that. LOL

John

GinnyT11
03-24-2012, 07:02 AM

When I was showing my son and his wife how much I enjoyed my uke and was playing The Tennessee Waltz in my own home, my dear son said, "Mom, maybe you should sing a little softer."
Ha ha...oh, how I laughed.

OldePhart
03-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Okay, had a few minutes with the family out of the house and tried to put it to good (?) use. :)

Simple example of the blues shuffle forms in C:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi29KMw5zGo&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy...or cringe...

John

Freeda
03-24-2012, 10:21 AM
That was very interesting, and beyond my level! :) I will get there though.

barefootgypsy
03-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Okay, had a few minutes with the family out of the house and tried to put it to good (?) use. :)

Enjoy...or cringe...

John
Fab-u-LOUS!!!!! Thank you so much for going to the trouble to video that - The tip on G fingering, all the explanations - you are a number one STAR! ;)

barefootgypsy
03-24-2012, 11:02 AM
When I was showing my son and his wife how much I enjoyed my uke and was playing The Tennessee Waltz in my own home, my dear son said, "Mom, maybe you should sing a little softer."
Ha ha...oh, how I laughed.
Oh, how that resonates with me...... "Mum.... do you HAVE to?!" Oh, the pain.......

SuzukHammer
03-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Good stuff oldphart.

Have you ever tried zydeco blues? I buy those band in pocket CDs which have different progressions in different keys so you can play solo or learn the progressions along with the timing of the song from the CD. Zydeco blues is a lot of fun.

Nickie
03-24-2012, 04:45 PM
If they bitch, just ask them if they'd rather you play drums.

OldePhart
03-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Good stuff oldphart.

Have you ever tried zydeco blues? I buy those band in pocket CDs which have different progressions in different keys so you can play solo or learn the progressions along with the timing of the song from the CD. Zydeco blues is a lot of fun.

I haven't tried zydeco on the uke. A good friend of mine used to kid me that everything I played on guitar came out zydeco whether I meant it to or not. LOL

Oh, and the Band in the Pocket CDs are great. I've got three or four of them. But I've honestly never thought of using them with the uke. Used them a lot when I was playing guitar.

John

whit
03-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Enjoy...or cringe...
John

The G-chord tip alone was worth the price of admission. The rest was a great bonus. Thanks for posting this.

Uke Whisperer
03-25-2012, 02:32 AM
Thanks John. (Be sure to burn some DVDs for family member's Christmas presents...)

Gwynedd
03-25-2012, 02:51 AM
If they bitch, just ask them if they'd rather you play drums.

Drums? You think those are bad? What about saxophone or violins in the hands of a tyro? Our household rules: "NO SAX AND VIOLINS!"

Olarte
03-25-2012, 04:24 AM
Thanks John, you did a great job!
This is very very useful.

Ivan

caukulele
03-25-2012, 04:35 AM
Thanks for sharing John. You made it very simple and clear. Thanks for taking the time!

Enjoy...or cringe...

John

OldePhart
03-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Drums? You think those are bad? What about saxophone or violins in the hands of a tyro? Our household rules: "NO SAX AND VIOLINS!"

Heh, heh. This hits so close to home! A few years ago I bought a tenor sax bound and determined I was going to learn to play. About all I succeeded in doing was making very loud noises like a flatulent elephant. I think if we'd lived within fifteen miles of a zoo the elephants probably would have been trumpeting reponses...

I finally took pity on my family and my own ears and gave the sax to a kid in our church who could actually play it.

I also remember an old joke somebody did about not letting their kids watch A&E because of all the sax and violins...

John

ukulelelalala
03-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Hi John,

I think you should make a ring tone sound clip of your 12 bar practice, then sneak your wifes phone away and load the ringtone into the address book under your phone number... This way every time you call her she will hear it.... ;)

OldePhart
03-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Hi John,

I think you should make a ring tone sound clip of your 12 bar practice, then sneak your wifes phone away and load the ringtone into the address book under your phone number... This way every time you call her she will hear it.... ;)

BWAAA-HAAA. Only problem with that plan would be finding a new place to sleep... LOL

Hippie Dribble
03-25-2012, 04:35 PM

Enjoy...or cringe...

John
Awesome John. Really great work and thorough explanation mate. Enjoyed it immensely. Thanks brother. Aaaah, more fragrant wisdom from the back door... :)

maki66
07-27-2017, 09:20 AM
OldPhart/PortlyKnight, thank you for posting this!

NowI can drive my family crazy-er.

derbyhat
07-27-2017, 09:22 AM

Ladies and gents, the winner of the thread!