My poor family...

OldePhart

Reaction score
So, last night I decided I've been lazy lately and I really need to work on my shuffle blues. So, my family was treated to about 2-1/2 to 3 hours of nothing but | C C6 C7 C6 | F F6 F7 F6 | C C6 C7 C6 | G G6 G7 G6 | F F6 F7 F6 | C C6 C7 C6 | G(triplet) z G7 |

The really sad part...I feel another bout of that coming on tonight...

On the plus side - I've almost reached the point where my blues shuffle in C is on auto pilot. LOL

John

Ha ha John,
I hope you put up a warning sign for tonight..hee hee sometimes we filter everything out when we get
into our uke playing mode..buy a quart of ice cream to smoothen things out afterwards..ha ha

Nice! Nothing I like more sometimes than some laid back blues turnarounds.

I love it...My wife gets sick of me playing that stuff too but I still love it...You made me laugh for sure...!!! Hee! Hee! Hee!

A friend from college found me on FB after thirty some years. He still remembered all our fun times. As in, how he got rid of a highly undesireable roommate.

He and his friend sat around and sang "McNamara's Ragtime Band" (ONE MORE TIME!) nonstop for two days. Sleep time: give up two nights. Roommate leaving? Priceless!

So do a check...is your family's stuff still there and the family car and dog? They are? OK!

Well, I had to try that and I recognize the pattern. I know I've heard it in a bunch of blues songs. How do you work it into the song? Or do you start with this and write a song that fits it?

Can you post a sound clip?

and loop it so we can understand the gravity of this.
HILARIOUS ^^^
Aye Mr. Olde and Flatulent...you need to just remind your family of exactly how LUCKY they are to have to such fine entertainment at their immediate call.
I do that all the time ;)
Would like to see how you throw those bits into a tune though...I feel a video coming on

John, why not record the session so the family can watch and listen to it when you're not home? I'm sure they would appreciate it...
(Then you could share it with us for educational purposes!)

I think this could become a UU contest where each contestant adds a verse to the progression with any thing (harmonica solo, singing, uke solo, uke blues riffs, drum solos, whatever).

1st place prize could be tennis lessons,
2nd place prize could be a autographed Steven King "The Shining" book or movie,
3rd place prize could be a free weekend in Clarksdale Mississippi
4th place prize would be sharing the stage with OldPharte for this song at UWC 2012.

hehe. I'm actually starting to play this progression at home; but, I need Oldpharte's version so I Know if I got it right.

Anyways somebody could combine the verses videos over John's loop. Maybe that's for 5th place.

Last edited:
John, why not record the session so the family can watch and listen to it when you're not home? I'm sure they would appreciate it...
(Then you could share it with us for educational purposes!)

My, that is an excellent suggestion. You can make a video with an endless loop, hardwire the video player directly to the mains so it cannot be cut off without shutting down every other thing in the house.

If that kind of wiring project is impractical for you, you can add the clip in front and in the middle of all home videos and taped movies. Then more clever of you folks will figure out how to make it a "must-see" just like those obnoxious previews you can't fast-forward past on DVD rentals. Think of the cries of joy when your wife is showing her mother (yet again) your wedding video and it's well and truly interspersed with your uke performance. I do not recommend taping OVER the entire thing unless you do want the result that will have.

Remember; the customer may always be right, but if the audience disagrees with you, THEY'RE wrong.

Last edited:
I wonder whether there's a difference here between the men and the girls....... men play, family put up with it..... women play - and have to go in another room.......? At least that's how it is in our house! How do the rest of the girls get on?

HILARIOUS ^^^
Aye Mr. Olde and Flatulent...you need to just remind your family of exactly how LUCKY they are to have to such fine entertainment at their immediate call.

heehee!! I've been chuckling away to myself reading this thread... I may have to try that one though, TCK, I'm not sure how well it will go down given the fact that my better half has already taken to referring to my Ohana as 'the other woman'..... I just cant help it! Solid mahogany...cutaway....Ah...true love... ;)

my better half has already taken to referring to my Ohana as 'the other woman'

Aren't you lucky? Isn't it some kind of fantasy to have one while the other one is watching? Does she watch? Am I out of line? I am sorry. (No. I am not. I lied.)

I wonder whether there's a difference here between the men and the girls....... men play, family put up with it..... women play - and have to go in another room.......? At least that's how it is in our house! How do the rest of the girls get on?

Well, I am in another room. The walls are thin though. And I noticed the TV gradually getting louder and louder on the other side of the wall... LOL

Next time I have a quiet house and the video stuff set up I'll try to remember to record the shuffle. It's really not a big deal. The R R6 R7 R6 pattern with a shuffle rhythm strum is what makes it instantly identifiable. Almost any turnaround really breaks it up and takes the "boring" out of it.

Of course you can play a shuffle without the R R6 R7 R6 pattern but I've always loved the distinctive sound of that progression and it's really easy on the uke in the keys of C, D, E, G, and A. Maybe one of these days when I get all five keys on autopilot I'll do a shuffle lesson video. LOL

A shuffle twelve bar blues is great for playing solos over, too. I used to jam with some guys on guitars and we'd take turns switching off between playing the shuffle and soloing. You can literally do this for hours without it getting boring with the right bunch of players.

A lot of harp-centric blues is played over a shuffle backing.

As for songs sung blue, it's been used in quite a few old blues standards - more delta or Chicago blues than Texas blues, I think.

John

Somebody asked about vocals with a blues shuffle. Here's an example or two:

Bo-Diddley's version is the quintessential 12-bar blues shuffle. You can see how this song can easily be sung over a 12-bar blues using the R R6 R7 R6 progression in each measure even though that progression is mostly being provided by the bassline here.

Creedence got a little further from the pure shuffle.

Clapton starts with the pure shuffle and adds some wicked solos over the top.

Oh...and I think those three videos are way more instructive than anything I could come up with!

Well...okay...they don't help much with the fingering for those chord progressions...maybe I'll get a chance to rectify that. LOL

John

Last edited:

When I was showing my son and his wife how much I enjoyed my uke and was playing The Tennessee Waltz in my own home, my dear son said, "Mom, maybe you should sing a little softer."
Ha ha...oh, how I laughed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom