Gibson vs Martin baritone uke - please weigh in

Eyeguy

Reaction score
I am on the prowl for a baritone uke and have narrowed it down to either a Martin or Gibson. Both are similar in appearance, build, and price.

Here is what I am hoping to find out from anyone who has experience with each: what are the strengths and weaknesses, if any, of each, and, which would you prefer if you had the choice? Highly subjective I realize but that's okay. Any advice/expertise appreciated.

Let me say each uke no matter if it's the same brand and model will sound different, it like us humans we all have different voice charateristics....for ukes it's because of the different building variances..you have narrowed it
down to those two..Now you need to play your final choices side by side..it is your best bet if possible..ask on
the phone if can..Good Luck.let us know what you get..

Stan, I would certainly love to play each side by side, unfortunately, there are not many around anywhere, let alone around these parts, so whatever I choose will have to be acquired on-line. Not sure I can go wrong with either, but as with vintage guitars, Martins and Gibsons are pretty different with respect to tonal qualities and I'm just assuming their respective ukes probably possess to the same differences, but I was hoping someone who has played or owned one of each could verify or refute that assumption.

I can tell you this. Martin Baritones are much much more common than the Gibson. Right now, there are two Martins on eBay. I haven't seen a Gibson around for a while.

Mike

I really love my Martin but I would never pass up a Gibson if I found one. Favilla is another good name from the same era. If you are looking for a 50s--60s era uke, you'd probably be happy with a well cared for uke from any of them.

My Martin has a deeper 'woody' sound. It is loud and has a 'musical' quality.

There was a Martin for sale recently here on UU.

Top Bottom