another dirty ol' low down dog...

H

Hippie Dribble

"Low Down Dog"

traditional blues.

some improvised blues playing on my new baritone, inspired totally by drkeken's awesome rendition which he posted on here yesterday. Check it out on this thread:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?62528-Low-Down-Dog

I was just hanging out to play something on the bari in DGBE tuning, so I decided to have a quick bash at this one. Just confirms to me what I suspected from watching doc over the last six months: that the baritone ukulele was built to play the blues. :cool:

Got to get me some blues, and learn me some tunes, perhaps that could be part of the never ending competition that maybe coming up.
fun and the blues do they go together.
Thanks for the tune Jon

Shoot...that there ain't half bad is it? Not too shabby a Baritone either mate- what are the specs on her (and how do you get so many of the darn things while I am waiting till August sigh...)

Got to get me some blues, and learn me some tunes, perhaps that could be part of the never ending competition that maybe coming up.
fun and the blues do they go together.
Thanks for the tune Jon

cheers Drew, but thank the good doctor mate. he da man wit blue blood in his veins. Me, I just follow and imitate. :eek: It was a good excuse to record something on my new uke though

Awe Jeez- I totally missed that mate...I thought the finish looked a little rougher than. In any event, it sure sounds great don't it?

just wanted to say, doc, I hope you're cool with me posting this. You're my ukulele muse and inspiration and I think you know that already. Guess this is another one of those "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" things...

funny, I've tried messing around with some blues type stuff with my sopranos and concerts but somehow they just never sounded right to me. Getting this baritone is the best thing I've ever done as far as uke purchases go. I just love it to bits. The DGBE tuning is so sweet and I'm totally gone on it. When I heard this song of yours yesterday my jaw literally dropped to the floor and I reached for my uke instantly. It's not just your playing but your voice man, your voice. It's gold.

Anyway, hope you accept this version of your version in the spirit it is intended. I feel like I'm constantly learning so much off you mate and I'm grateful for all your music :eek:

just wanted to say, doc, I hope you're cool with me posting this. You're my ukulele muse and inspiration and I think you know that already. Guess this is another one of those "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" things...

funny, I've tried messing around with some blues type stuff with my sopranos and concerts but somehow they just never sounded right to me. Getting this baritone is the best thing I've ever done as far as uke purchases go. I just love it to bits. The DGBE tuning is so sweet and I'm totally gone on it. When I heard this song of yours yesterday my jaw literally dropped to the floor and I reached for my uke instantly. It's not just your playing but your voice man, your voice. It's gold.

Anyway, hope you accept this version of your version in the spirit it is intended. I feel like I'm constantly learning so much off you mate and I'm grateful for all your music :eek:

Man, I have no problems with any of this. In fact, I'm a bit puzzled by all the kind words people are writing here, and the fact that I'm considered to be an 'inspiration'. I just play songs that I love. I've been a trad jazz/blues freak since I was about ten years old, and that bug never stops biting. Please sing and play anything you want, I don't own these songs, and you're pretty damn good, you know. I like those Irish songs and the folk stuff you do. That's a lot harder for me, since English is not my mother tongue, after all. Those blues songs are easier for me, even though they can be pretty complex too, word-wise. Maybe I'll post a song in Norwegian one day. That might give you a run for your money, eh?

Man, I have no problems with any of this. In fact, I'm a bit puzzled by all the kind words people are writing here, and the fact that I'm considered to be an 'inspiration'. I just play songs that I love. I've been a trad jazz/blues freak since I was about ten years old, and that bug never stops biting. Please sing and play anything you want, I don't own these songs, and you're pretty damn good, you know. I like those Irish songs and the folk stuff you do. That's a lot harder for me, since English is not my mother tongue, after all. Those blues songs are easier for me, even though they can be pretty complex too, word-wise. Maybe I'll post a song in Norwegian one day. That might give you a run for your money, eh?
thanks mate, so much.

Well, I've listened to more music than I could care to name in my 40 years and right here, right now...yours is the bees knees to me; has been for virtually a whole year. What is it about your stuff? hard to put the finger on it exactly but I think it's a mixture of things...

I can only speak for me, but first and most obviously it's the material you play. It's all stuff I love and all listening to you has done is broaden my musical palette further. I've pretty much been until only recently, solely into old time folk,outlaw country and gospel. But since buying a CD of Ike a couple of years back, the journey into early twentieth century jazz, show tunes, ragtime etc began for me. I'm a newcomer to all of this...so when I heard your stuff...man, there's hardly anyone out there doing it...as often, or as well, as you do.

Second is simply your style doc. It's' a deep-rooted hardened blues and jazz style of playing. You can tell you've been doing it for years. It flows so smoothly from your fingers and out of your vocal chords. For me I fell for the voice you have. Pure and simple. Not sure how much more you want me to gush but what can I say brother, I love everything you do, whether it's playing the uke or the piano, doesn't worry me at all. You are inspiring because you keep teaching us songs we've not heard and play them in a way that is very laid back and very cool. Whew, I'm exhausted, I need a cigarette!!! Ha ha!!! I mean, I lost count of how much of your stuff is in my favourites box...I've got something like 150 clips in there and at least 40 must be your songs.

At the end of the day it's been your music which has deepened my love for an era of songs that I knew very little, if nothing of. After a year or so I am a devotee of Edwards and many of the blues writers and players of the 20's and 30's and before I heard your playing doc I was ignorant. It is now my favourite era of recorded music and I know it always will be. That's why I tell everyone about your channel at every possible opportunity, because it truly means so much to me. It has allowed me to learn more jazzier type stuff and blues and therefore made me a much more adaptable and flexible player of the instrument with a much wider musical palette upon which to draw. I am probably twice as good a player than I was 2 years ago and much of that I can easily trace to being exposed to your playing, from which I have learnt and continue to learn a great deal every time you put something up. This is all not evening mentioning your presence on stage or in front of a camera which is also wonderful and enjoyable to watch.

So there it is, that's my reasons...not sure of others'. The thing is mate, you say your perplexed at how some members here find your stuff inspirational because you are just doing what you love, eh. Same here brother. I get some compliments from time to time as well along similar lines and I am totally bewildered as I don't consider myself to be much good at all. But it's all relative and people perceive things as listeners and viewers that is their right to...once you put something out there it's public and it has a life of it's own. I am trying to learn to be gracious and accept compliments, as weird and embarrassed as it feels. I have always had notoriously low self esteem and it is very difficult for me to accept good feedback...I often still wonder if people are being sarcastic or if they really mean it sometimes.

But what perplexes me, is that your channel still has only 130-something subscribers. To me this is beyond comprehension. The more people that hear your old time blues, jazz and ragtime music the better off this world will be in my opinion. That's why I will continue to give you a shout-out every darned opportunity I get because, in very tangible ways, your music has altered the course of my life. Significantly for the better doc.

Great Job Eugene,
wow you snuck one by me again, I only found this one now..yes that baritone sounds so sweet..way to go..
bruddah.... now you know why I get 5 of them..he he so sweet for pickings..literally.

Great Job Eugene,
wow you snuck one by me again, I only found this one now..yes that baritone sounds so sweet..way to go..
bruddah.... now you know why I get 5 of them..he he so sweet for pickings..literally.
thanks Bruddah, I'm looking forward to exploring it and learning how to play it. Up til' now my best picking has generally been saved for the left nostril area...haha :p

thanks mate, so much.

Well, I've listened to more music than I could care to name in my 40 years and right here, right now...yours is the bees knees to me; has been for virtually a whole year. What is it about your stuff? hard to put the finger on it exactly but I think it's a mixture of things...

I can only speak for me, but first and most obviously it's the material you play. It's all stuff I love and all listening to you has done is broaden my musical palette further. I've pretty much been until only recently, solely into old time folk,outlaw country and gospel. But since buying a CD of Ike a couple of years back, the journey into early twentieth century jazz, show tunes, ragtime etc began for me. I'm a newcomer to all of this...so when I heard your stuff...man, there's hardly anyone out there doing it...as often, or as well, as you do.

Second is simply your style doc. It's' a deep-rooted hardened blues and jazz style of playing. You can tell you've been doing it for years. It flows so smoothly from your fingers and out of your vocal chords. For me I fell for the voice you have. Pure and simple. Not sure how much more you want me to gush but what can I say brother, I love everything you do, whether it's playing the uke or the piano, doesn't worry me at all. You are inspiring because you keep teaching us songs we've not heard and play them in a way that is very laid back and very cool. Whew, I'm exhausted, I need a cigarette!!! Ha ha!!! I mean, I lost count of how much of your stuff is in my favourites box...I've got something like 150 clips in there and at least 40 must be your songs.

At the end of the day it's been your music which has deepened my love for an era of songs that I knew very little, if nothing of. After a year or so I am a devotee of Edwards and many of the blues writers and players of the 20's and 30's and before I heard your playing doc I was ignorant. It is now my favourite era of recorded music and I know it always will be. That's why I tell everyone about your channel at every possible opportunity, because it truly means so much to me. It has allowed me to learn more jazzier type stuff and blues and therefore made me a much more adaptable and flexible player of the instrument with a much wider musical palette upon which to draw. I am probably twice as good a player than I was 2 years ago and much of that I can easily trace to being exposed to your playing, from which I have learnt and continue to learn a great deal every time you put something up. This is all not evening mentioning your presence on stage or in front of a camera which is also wonderful and enjoyable to watch.

So there it is, that's my reasons...not sure of others'. The thing is mate, you say your perplexed at how some members here find your stuff inspirational because you are just doing what you love, eh. Same here brother. I get some compliments from time to time as well along similar lines and I am totally bewildered as I don't consider myself to be much good at all. But it's all relative and people perceive things as listeners and viewers that is their right to...once you put something out there it's public and it has a life of it's own. I am trying to learn to be gracious and accept compliments, as weird and embarrassed as it feels. I have always had notoriously low self esteem and it is very difficult for me to accept good feedback...I often still wonder if people are being sarcastic or if they really mean it sometimes.

But what perplexes me, is that your channel still has only 130-something subscribers. To me this is beyond comprehension. The more people that hear your old time blues, jazz and ragtime music the better off this world will be in my opinion. That's why I will continue to give you a shout-out every darned opportunity I get because, in very tangible ways, your music has altered the course of my life. Significantly for the better doc.

Now, what can I say but THANKS...?

I must say I enjoy immensely the postings and contributions both of you make to this site. I am a blues fan and probably 60% of all music I listen to is blues based. I am also a huge Bari devotee and anymore that is all I play. There is a wealth of material in Jimmie Rodgers, Mississipi John Hurt, and of course many others that both of you would no doubt do quite well with. Keep em comin!!! Thanks. Lozark Oh yes, one more thing, both of you should try your Baris in Bb tuning. Great Blues feel to it. Southcoastukes has some great strings for Bb tuning on Baris. Daddystovepipe plays a lot of his blues in Bb.

Last edited:
Another incredible piece of work! How do you do it time-after-time?

BTW, it doesn't matter where we get our musical inspirations...we're all indebted to the masters we've listened to. Hell mate, I just want to sound like you.

How do you do it time-after-time?!? Another great piece of work. You're my uke hero!

I must say I enjoy immensely the postings and contributions both of you make to this site. I am a blues fan and probably 60% of all music I listen to is blues based. I am also a huge Bari devotee and anymore that is all I play. There is a wealth of material in Jimmie Rodgers, Mississipi John Hurt, and of course many others that both of you would no doubt do quite well with. Keep em comin!!! Thanks. Lozark Oh yes, one more thing, both of you should try your Baris in Bb tuning. Great Blues feel to it. Southcoastukes has some great strings for Bb tuning on Baris. Daddystovepipe plays a lot of his blues in Bb.
thanks for the compliments Lozark, and many thanks for the Bb alternate tuning suggestion you mentioned. Will give it a go. Off to check out Daddystovepipe...

Another incredible piece of work! How do you do it time-after-time?

BTW, it doesn't matter where we get our musical inspirations...we're all indebted to the masters we've listened to. Hell mate, I just want to sound like you.

hey Paul, many many thanks brother :eek:

Top Bottom