Ukuleles in Prison

Ukuleledad

Reaction score
For those of you with access to the BBC iplayer, there was a piece on a prison-based ukulele group last week. It was during a programme called 'Crime & Punishment' broadcasted last Thursday 22nd March at 9.15am. The ukulele group is on about 20 mins into the programme.

I'm 70/30 on this topic.

A discussion on this could get heated.

Johnny Cash turned out ok; but, how would you like ex-cons joining your uke group?

I'm hoping courts won't mandate 1 hour a week of uke playing as a condition of parole.

There are prison ministries that offer Bible classes and discussion to prisoners and it's helpful. Learning how to focus on positive things in life when you are surrounded by pure crap, and have perhaps lived a life of crap is a good thing. Prison is an angry place full of angry people.

The uke is a positive ray of light in life--I use mine to get over grief and many of us attest to its joyful power. So if prisoners could develop a positive attitude from uke playing, I'm for it. Someday they will, in many cases, get out of jail, and they've been abused, fearful, angry, hateful, mean and worst of all bored and let to rust in prison so if they have something that can make them stop being angry and want to join society properly, that's a good thing. Music has been thought to be a spiritual and mental healer since ancient times (King Saul, Hippocrates, just to name a few.)

I am a prison officer in the uk and think it'd a good thing. For myself having happy prisoners is much better than angry ones. I have played at a community engagement day at work and was very pleased with the positivity from the prisoners. I agree it will not rehabilitate at all but it is a release for them and consequently makes my job effectively less hostile.

A prison officer's job would be less hostile if they were permitted to shoot the bad prisoners.

Convicted felons (child killers, rapists, drug pushers, etc.) should be given grass-cutting sickles, not ukuleles.

My two--okay, maybe three--cents.

I work with developmentally disabled and mentally ill adults. Some are institutionalized as part of sentencing and some are with us as part of an ATO. Many of my residential clients have spent time in jail and prison. I spend every other Friday morning in a lockup with violent offenders and sexual predators. Take downs, restraints, etc.. Not unusual. It is a highly stressful environment for people who are often already sensitive to sensory stimuli.

Any activity that occupies time is important. Any activity that builds a sense of pride or accomplishment is good. Anything that someone can focus on that keeps them out of drama and helps regulate their feelings is important. Anything that helps them build positive relationships with others is important.

Any activity that occupies time is important. Any activity that builds a sense of pride or accomplishment is good. Anything that someone can focus on that keeps them out of drama and helps regulate their feelings is important. Anything that helps them build positive relationships with others is important.

Sounds like you support unmowed grass and a sickle.

I have worked in a youthful offender prison. Trust me, you do not want prisoners being released that have had no positive experiences of any kind while incarcerated. Yeah for the ukers. I'd rather have a parolee join my uke group than rob my house while I'm attending one.

There are prison ministries that offer Bible classes and discussion to prisoners and it's helpful. Learning how to focus on positive things in life when you are surrounded by pure crap, and have perhaps lived a life of crap is a good thing. Prison is an angry place full of angry people.

The uke is a positive ray of light in life--I use mine to get over grief and many of us attest to its joyful power. So if prisoners could develop a positive attitude from uke playing, I'm for it. Someday they will, in many cases, get out of jail, and they've been abused, fearful, angry, hateful, mean and worst of all bored and let to rust in prison so if they have something that can make them stop being angry and want to join society properly, that's a good thing. Music has been thought to be a spiritual and mental healer since ancient times (King Saul, Hippocrates, just to name a few.)
Fantastic post Gwynedd, i couldn't agree more, the uke is such a pure joy to play and i feel all my worries slip away whilst playing, it is definately the best stress relief beats booze and cigs any day, i have found such comfort in the uke since losing my parents.
Think i will check BBC i player out for the programme, thanks for your wonderful post oh i bet they not allowed to play Jail break by thin lizzy either :)

I work with developmentally disabled and mentally ill adults. Some are institutionalized as part of sentencing and some are with us as part of an ATO. Many of my residential clients have spent time in jail and prison. I spend every other Friday morning in a lockup with violent offenders and sexual predators. Take downs, restraints, etc.. Not unusual. It is a highly stressful environment for people who are often already sensitive to sensory stimuli.

You, sister, are hard core.! I have friends who work in similar situations... I know it ain't easy, and they have all had physical injuries... often unintentionally inflicted, but that doesn't mean much when you are on the receiving end.

A prison officer's job would be less hostile if they were permitted to shoot the bad prisoners.

Convicted felons (child killers, rapists, drug pushers, etc.) should be given grass-cutting sickles, not ukuleles.

Do you seriously believe that prison guards are prevented from using deadly force on inmates?

Maybe you should look up what 'felony' is before prescribing that everyone who is convicted of one should die. You realize that perjury is a felony, too, right? Also, every tobacco and alcohol company in America have definitely killed more people than any teenager selling $10 worth of marijuana, but yeah, you're right! Kill them all! The war on drugs has been such a resounding success*!

America: a country where people don't believe the government can deliver the mail on time but is comfortable with the state executing citizens.

*failure

Last edited:
I'm another who has a working connection to prisons (as a law-talking guy), though I only enter one about once a month.

Although I do not represent the prisoners, I am also in favor of a healthy outlet. Most of the time I am involved in cases dealing with prisoner-on-prisoner assaults. If that energy can be placed elsewhere, or if a calming influence can show up, that would be nice.

Of course, knowing what I do about prisons I also know that free access to ukuleles could result in the development of a whole arsenal of weapons. Those guys can be very creative. Garrotes from strings, shivs from the back and face, clubs from the necks. Seriously, they can make a weapon out of anything.

"Killers & Rapists "....should be given grass-cutting sickles". Really??? A sickle is a lethal weapon in the wrong hands.

One swipe and a head comes off! Geeze.....

Here's an example of what you're talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Steel-Sickle-Wooden-Handle/dp/B004LLDL28

Rather see a ukulele in hand......

Last edited:
Top Bottom