Boat Paddle Concert Kayak update

AKuker

Reaction score
Just got pics from Jerry at Boat Paddle ukes. The build is done! Now just finish and ship! So what's the "waiting for your new uke to arrive" disease? I think I'm deveolping symptoms.

Attachments

• Kayak Concert Front.jpg
    Kayak Concert Front.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Kayak Concert Back.jpg
    Kayak Concert Back.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 55
That looks really nice! I like how the soundholes are placed in a way to maximize the uninterrupted portion of the soundboard. My guess its going to sound rich, full and loud. The only way to address the waiting disease is to go out and buy another uke locally, while waiting for the Kayak to arrive.

that is sweet looking. Will you post a sound bite for us when it comes???

Paduk sides and sides look great with spruce top and ebony bridge and saddle. All Jerry's ukes sound wonderful, but it may take weeks to a month to open up and be great.

I agree with Doc_J. My M-Style sounded very nice when I first got it, but it has since opened up and really shown its true character (it's been five months). Every time I play it, I swear it sounds better and better. It's very woody and true, but has a sweetness to it.

He makes some great ukes; I ran into Gerald Ross at a festival today, and even he commented on how well my M-Style spoke.

Last edited:
Your new uke looks gorgeous! It does look a bit naked without tuners and strings though. Now I'm going to start thinking about strings as ukulele "clothes". I hope the wait isn't too terrible for you. Maybe you should spend the wait time learning the chords to some cool new song by heart so you can bust it out as soon as your new baby arrives :)

I've been considering one of these for myself so I'm really grateful that you're sharing your build journey with UU.

Nix

I have Doc_J's old soprano M-style, and I can confirm that no matter what your uke sounds like initially (and I expect it will sound very, very nice), it will eventually become downright sublime. One Bad Monkey's description of the sound is entirely accurate.

Thanks everyone. Good to hear the comments about it getting better with time. Great idea Nix. I'll try to learn a new song while I wait for it. I'll post new pics when I get them.

Top Bottom