Proper Way to Repair a Top Crack

hmgberg

Reaction score
:wtf:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-CF-Mar...542?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab5aa20e6

1. Remove the back. Use a saw. Be careful not to get too close to the binding.

2. Slather as much glue as possible in the crack and on surrounding areas. Remember, the more glue you use, the better the bond. Don't bother to cleat the crack (see step "4." for an innovative method of leveling the surface).

3. After the glue has dried, use sandpaper on the top to even the surfaces on either side of the crack. Use paper with a substantial grit (100 grit is recommended).

4. Ponder what to do about the back. :confused:

I saw that poor thing on eBay this morning. I nearly cried. I hate to think how many great old instruments found themselves in this condition before being tossed into landfills.

It's possible, but it wouldn't be the same - if you know what I mean.

I think I could manage a decent job of the fix...but I wouldnt pay that price + shipping to the UK just to prove I could do it.;).........
(By the way i've just downed a bottle of Italian red wine this evening and I could possibly retract this statement by tomorrow.:eek:)

I've got one that has been much more badly abused. I keep it for reference. The ebay offerring is repairable and worth doing but yes Ken, only in the US and by Frank Ford or Harry Eibert or maybe Duane...

I've got one that has been much more badly abused. I keep it for reference. The ebay offerring is repairable and worth doing but yes Ken, only in the US and by Frank Ford or Harry Eibert or maybe Duane...
I'm with you Pete on this one :D..Sounds like a challenge:rolleyes:

"Go on Duane show us what you can do"..:music:

OK, you buy it and send it to me and I'll give it a go, wouldn't be the first time. I would normally buy something like this myself, fix it and make a bunch of money but I have so many repairs right now I wouldn't get to it for some time. Besides, I'd rather build right now.

I'd rather buy it and put it on display. It's paid it's dues. Sometimes surgery ain't worth the pain.

If done right, and it is possible, you would be hard pressed to see the repair work.

You're right, except for the hot stamp - unless you were to include that as well. Perhaps a modified stamp: "D. Heilman & Co., Yakima, WA " Not that I want to put ideas in your head or anything...

I might give it a try myself if the price doesn't go too high.

Maybe the open back is like an banjo...just kidding...ha ha LOL wow at over 200.00 already....I'd say this ukulele has good potential and bones though..

Last edited:
Top Bottom