Have you ever noticed...

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
That creative people excell in music, art, math etc...because of the
structure of patterns.. ha ha I wish I was one of them:)

Yeah, it's the right/left brain argument I reckon. Funny, because I was never good in English, history, all that in school, and barely passed basic math in grade school, but was always straight As in Algerbra, trig and all that. The teachers could never explain that. That said, I have tried many times as a kid to "learn" music, and just never could get it. Still can't read it much, but have always been able to play. Go figure.. lol

Last edited:
A lot of it has to do with real-world applications.

I sucked at math. I joke that I invented the abacus, because counting on my fingers got me through the multiplication tables from 5th grade through college, and a little beyond that. When I realized that I was using my fingers in a manner identical to an abacus, it made things easier.

Algebra was a squeaker for me. Got in the way of geometry, and so many other things. I was able to do just enough to get by.

Then one day I was explaining how spreadsheets worked to a guy I was selling a computer to . He looked at a long formula, and said, "Oh - Algebra." I suddenly got it.

When I went to a local community college to take a basic math course while preparing to start studying Building Construction, I was lucky enough to have an Electrical Engineer as my instructor. Lucky because HIS father was an electrician, and he understood how real world applications can make a difference. I had this gentleman for 4 of the 5 math classes I took, up to (but excluding) integrated algebra and trigonometry. I got an A in each class. I also took an A in Surveying, applying what I'd learned to actual real-world situations.

I still can't read music or Tab, so I don't know how well I do with patterns. Not too good at jigsaw puzzles, either.

-Kurt​

Last edited:
Math is a four letter word. I don't get it. But I can write, and figure out most anything. My GF was a left brain and right brain person, very intellectual, logical, and very creative.... both halves of her brain were connected. She could figure out anything, no matter hwo complicated it appeared. I'm usually in my right brain, but I can tap the other side when I have to. I just don't even try to balance my checkbook...

I thought I was going to be one of those people that didn't get math, but then in 7th grade a teacher brought it all together and I've not had problems with it since then. In fact I kinda enjoy algebra and calculus. I also really love history and literature. I force myself to tackle logic problems but it's not my favorite thing. Yeah, band directors all generally said we were all supposed to be good at math, but as long as can count the beats in the measure, I think you'll be ok. :D

As always, an interesting thread Stan. I do think it has something to do with left or right brain dominance. It seems to me that creative people are often creative in many areas, (or, if they don't create themselves they at least appreciate or recognize it in others) For the music, I agree, that it really might have something to do with the right side dominant and peoples ability to recognize patterns and rhythms .... also, of course taking risks, experimenting, and the ability to let yourself dream and wonder, like the others said. Maybe also it's that creative spirit, combined with the Edisons' famous quote "Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." I am surely, not close to being a genius, but I do know that creativity comes out of hard work and a little play as well.

Unfortunately in much of formal mathematical, scientific, and technology education, we try not to have creative solutions from students. After many years of this type of training and education, faculty then hope students will be creative.:(

I'm a believer in that creativity takes some practice too.

Aloha All,
Have any of you read this book, if not get it..it an absoulute great read.
http://www.drawright.com/
This is a great book. I taught Drawing classes for many years and used a lot of the exercises in this book. My students loved it and I always got great results from some of the methods. It is a wonderful book for anyone who wants to teach or learn.

Top Bottom