Once Upon A Time.... (Downunder)

robbocx

Reaction score
Once upon a time….

With the release of our new Ukulele Club Songbook we thought it would be a good idea to visit our friends at St George and Sutherland Community of Ukulele Musicians (SSCUM) and as John had invited us we offered to help out with the beginners on the night.

So we started out our adventure after work on a Monday night, with the radio tuned to ABC702 we heard an interview with some of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britan (UOoGB) and marvelled at how fun it all sounded and we talked about us going to see them at the Opera House the next night.

Around 6:10 we arrived and unloaded the car of Books and CDs and the usual stuff you take, we signed in and went upstairs to meet John and Evelyn.

John met us at the door and asked us if we could help out on stage as the songs they were playing on the night came from our songbook, in our usual quiet retiring way we said sure…..They had a good crowd around 60 plus.

We started out with a few beginners’ songs, singing in the rain with Rob challenging the more experienced players to find an alternate chord shape to play along. Then we moved onto don’t worry be happy and as we were finishing a UK documentary film crew arrived, they have been following the UOoGB on their tour and on Sunday night they asked John if they could come along. John wasn’t sure that they would have time to drop in and as a bit of a bonus they brought George and Will along with them.

George and Will then sat in on the night as Rob and I belted out some of the MUGs regular tunes. They then got up on stage and ran us through some of their favourite songs and had us all join them as they mashed a number of songs together.

They are great guys they were happy to have a photo taken, sign an autograph, talk about performing and they showed a lot of interest in what John and the MUGs clubs do.

It was a great night full of surprises for a couple of guys who thought we were going to sing two songs, sell some books and have a beer……

But wait there’s more… as were packing up George came over and asked Rob if they could jam some blues songs with him…. Rob obliged and as the cleaners moved in Rob, George and Will took turns of soloing while they played Blue Monk together.

I still can’t get the smile off my face.

Last edited:
Wow robbocx! Now that is a story worth sharing. What a wonderful, wonderful experience. Would give my left arm (almost) to have been there for that. George and Will seem like wonderful guys and are my two favourites from the UOofGB anyway...man, I'm turning green as we speak. I was fortunate enough to attend my only ever uke show a couple of weeks back when they came down to Hobart and it was a night I'll never forget. Blessings mate and it's funny how good things often happen to you when you do a good turn for others eh. :)

A wonderful story. That put a smile on my face too. Thanks for sharing.
PS: You type real fast down under.

Top Bottom