PDA

View Full Version : "The Seventh Season of the Ukulele" contest: WOODY WEEK

Hippie Dribble
03-25-2012, 04:28 PM
hey gang,

well someone's gotta kick it off, so here goes...

Your Challenge:

"Woody Week".

sing a Woody Guthrie song, one-take, no overdubs. Could be a song he wrote himself, one of the countless numbers of traditional songs he adapted with his own lyrics, or a traditional song he was well known for performing. It's also relevant because as many of you would already know, this year marks the 100th anniversary of his birth.

Alan (UKISOCIETY) has already opened a wonderful yootoob channel honouring the occasion. You can check it out here to get some additional ideas:
http://www.youtube.com/user/woody2012ukulele
or else PM me and I can maybe help you out, as I have a big pile of his recordings

Parameters:

are basically the same as those set by Christian. Don't want to make things too formal, but just introduce your song as "Woody Week" for the 7th season Uke Challenge and post your clip here on the thread. Use any instrument you can with as many arms and legs as you possess - as long as a ukulele is front and centre.

I will commission an esteemed group of judges to help me with the judging process. Criteria: playing, singing, creative flair, personality, setting and the j'ne cais quoi factor (whatever that means)...I'll post a critique ala Christiano style and announce results the same way the following week after close date. Hopefully the winner will take the reigns and run the 8th season...and so on...

Prizes

not sure yet but there will be a couple of uke stickers, a CD or 2, some felt picks, maybe a kazoo. I'll see what else I can rustle up. :)

Cut Off Date

Entries should be posted here by midnight, Hawaii time on Sunday April 1.

That's it guys. Once all entries are in I will do up a playlist and send it to Alan for inclusion (hopefully) on his yootoob channel. Any questions just post em here...

Lets keep the love and encouragement of each other going gang, after all, that' what it's all about eh :)

blessings and love to all
eugene

ukuleledaveey
03-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Fantastic effort Jon, thanks for starting this, im defo going to give it a try, i only know one song at the mo and no doubt it is the one everyone knows lol, but i will do some research as i love looking things up . You got me interested in woody, from oneof your previous vids, anyway thanks for kicking this off, cheers :)

UncleElvis
03-25-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm gonna do my best to enter... I don't have Internet at the moment, but as soon as I get back on...

Hippie Dribble
03-25-2012, 04:49 PM
as many, including me, are always curious as to how scores are arrived at in these contests, here's the drum:

POINTS SCORE

will be awarded for each entry in these criteria:

1. playing (out of 15)
2. singing (out of 15)
3. performance: personality / creative flair / camera presence etc (10)
4. setting (5)
5. x factor (5)

for a maximum possible total of 50 points.

I am trying to solicit Alan to co-judge as we speak and waiting for him to get back to me. The other judges will be myself and eugenie. If Alan can't do it I will find another member to help out. This way we will have 3 scores out of 50 for each entry which will be added up to get the final total!!!

all sound good??? Too wanky??? let me know. Otherwise Happy woodying folks... :)

Hippie Dribble
03-25-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm gonna do my best to enter... I don't have Internet at the moment, but as soon as I get back on...

hope so brother, wouldn't be the same without you... :)

mattydee
03-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Entries should be posted here by midnight, Hawaii time on Saturday April 10.

That's it guys. Once all entries are in I will do up a playlist and send it to Alan for inclusion (hopefully) on his yootoob channel. Any questions just post em here...

Lets keep the love and encouragement of each other going gang, after all, that' what it's all about eh :)

blessings and love to all
eugene

I'm confused. April 10 is a Tuesday. Sunday April 1, maybe? So that it's a proper week? I think the exquisite pressure of the one week deadline was part of what made the six seasons so invigorating.

However it shakes out, I'm in.

Hippie Dribble
03-25-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm confused. April 10 is a Tuesday. Sunday April 1, maybe? So that it's a proper week? I think the exquisite pressure of the one week deadline was part of what made the six seasons so invigorating.

However it shakes out, I'm in.

oops, sorry matty, I meant april 7.

was doing it all on the fly as the idea came to me, also trying to factor in that I'm a day ahead of you guys and that i hadn't been able to contact Alan yet..

but hey, let's make it Sunday midnight April 1. perfect. i'll just go back and fix up the OP to change it to the correct date. thanks for the heads up on the mistake and your suggestion to raise the heat a little. i agree with you totally .

Cheers brother!

Hippie Dribble
03-25-2012, 06:58 PM
ok guys, at mattydee's excellent suggestion above, the close date is officially now

Sunday April 1 at midnight Hawaii time

it has also been changed in the OP to reflect this. Thanks everyone!!!!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Way to get the seasonal ukulele ball rolling again, Jon. I'm in.

Hippie Dribble
03-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Way to get the seasonal ukulele ball rolling again, Jon. I'm in.
Awesome Ralf. Glad to hear it mate! :)

glass
03-26-2012, 04:14 AM
I will probably enter too busy week this week but will try!!!

ukuloonie
03-26-2012, 08:31 AM
I'll give it a go Jon
see what happens

glass
03-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Never been first to enter but here you go, kids were up acting crazy sorry for background noise!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKE8ijodcmQ

peewee
03-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Here's another entry... I hope it's OK that this is my first "season".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqeyZQXv2u4&feature=youtu.be

Hippie Dribble
03-26-2012, 12:38 PM
thanks you two for getting the contest rolling so soon and so well. Great start!!!

And peewee, open to one and all mate, glad you've joined in the fun!!! :)

UK Paulie
03-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Hey Jon count me in brother! Thanks for taking the baton mate!!

Hippie Dribble
03-26-2012, 12:52 PM
awesome Paulie. I guess this week maybe not quite as challenging as some of the others...he he..I think Woody only ever used 3 chords in 40 years. :p But the songs...mmmmmmmm. yes.

UK Paulie
03-26-2012, 12:58 PM
awesome Paulie. I guess this week maybe not quite as challenging as some of the others...he he..I think Woody only ever used 3 chords in 40 years. :p But the songs...mmmmmmmm. yes.

Well thats a relief! I may have to take you up on the 'pm me if you need help' offer because I haven't a clue....Does I'm only 30 count as a good excuse for not having a clue about woody Guthrie?

Hippie Dribble
03-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Well thats a relief! I may have to take you up on the 'pm me if you need help' offer because I haven't a clue....Does I'm only 30 count as a good excuse for not having a clue about woody Guthrie?
ha ha...well...maybe mate :p

here's somewhere really basic to start. This site has a handful of songs with some chords already done up for you
http://www.chordie.com/song.php/songartist/Woody+Guthrie/index.html
you could always flick through a few of those and then youtube a search for the song you're thinking about playing, to get an idea of how it's meant to sound.

Also, look up Alan's channel which already has a good list of videos up there Paulie. That should be a decent start at it anyway bro...
http://www.youtube.com/user/woody2012ukulele

OldePhart
03-26-2012, 01:46 PM

Heh, heh. Being British probably counts as a better excuse. Woody was a staple of Americana but I don't know that his stuff was ever that popular across the pond.

JOhn

ukuleledaveey
03-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Yeah he is known over the pond :) even though i have only discovered him through Eugine :) quite a few people at my uke club know and love woody, ive got 2 tunes im busy practicing not sure which one to go with just yet, but will defo be entering :)

J-Peg
03-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks Jon for picking up the ball and running with it. I'm gonna try and work something up for this week if my work schedule allows it.

But I gotta tell you, this week's theme is bugging me. Nothing wrong with Woody Guthrie, mind you, it's just me. See, I was born and raised in East Tennessee, I lived in Nashville for 15 years and I've played guitar for almost 35 years. So this three chord folk stuff is old hat to me on guitar. But I've never really tried it on uke. I've never needed to. If I want to play this style of music I just grab the guitar. So I'm just not sure how to do adapt it to uke.

Hopefully I'll have time to figure it out before Sunday.

Hippie Dribble
03-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Thanks Jon for picking up the ball and running with it. I'm gonna try and work something up for this week if my work schedule allows it.

But I gotta tell you, this week's theme is bugging me. Nothing wrong with Woody Guthrie, mind you, it's just me. See, I was born and raised in East Tennessee, I lived in Nashville for 15 years and I've played guitar for almost 35 years. So this three chord folk stuff is old hat to me on guitar. But I've never really tried it on uke. I've never needed to. If I want to play this style of music I just grab the guitar. So I'm just not sure how to do adapt it to uke.

Hopefully I'll have time to figure it out before Sunday.

you know J-Peg, in that sense you and me are exactly the same.

I learnt to play guitar 20 years back on this kind of stuff and just kept playing it my whole life!!! And yeah, what you talk about with the uke was a difficulty I had...the exact same one ...how do you make a 2-3-4 chord strummed mid-tempo folk song sound interesting on a ukulele? I battled with it for a year or more when I first started learning to play the ukulele.

My big breakthrough came a couple of years back when I started working how to find the melody line and work out a way to use it somehow in the performance. When that happens, these 2 and 3 chord strumathons have so much more colour.

But hey brother, the lyricism in Woody's stuff is of such a high order, I think that it's perfectly fine to play many of his songs with a focus on the words over and above the melody. A lot of his material is didactic and we're meant to hear his voice, so just keep strummin man and sing it like your life depends on it, that's all Woody really used to do anyway... :)

Hippie Dribble
03-26-2012, 03:53 PM
also, as for getting that 'folky' rhythm, I tend to just go thumb-strum V^-thumb-strumV^... so you get that boom-chicka-boom-chicka kinda thing happening (usually alternating the thumb pluck between the C and G strings)

man does that even make sense or am I overdue for my medication again??? :p

Hippie Dribble
03-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Good news folkies. Just heard back from UKISOCIETY and he's gonna get in the guest judge chair for the week and come along for the ride with us. AWESOME!!!!!!! Thanks Alan! :)

ukuleledaddy
03-26-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm so glad this is happening! Thanks Jon for getting us started with a great theme. I think I found my song and hoping I have the time to record it.
Food for thought; maybe for a future week somebody could do a "dedicate a Disney song to Christian" week. ;)

wee_ginga_yin
03-27-2012, 03:18 AM
Woody Guthrie song with a tune he borrowed from the
Carter Family and a chorus which I borrowed from the
Incredible String Band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvwc6jJyovg

This world is not my home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqRpyG0W96k

I ain't got no home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12EvtfwDCM4

Ducks on pond (last two verses)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90jFKaVDP2k

Surprise surprise THIS WORLD IS NOT MY HOME was written by (Albert E. Brumley) in 1937.
Brumley was born near Spiro, Oklahoma on October 29, 1905. Pre-Dustbowl Oklahoma was
primarily made up of sparse agricultural communities; Brumley's family was no different.
He spent much of his early life chopping and picking cotton on his family's farm.
Same old territory as Woody Guthrie.

Everybody borrows from everybody else.

Though the themes of the songs are quite different. Diametrically opposed in fact, since one
is spiritual while the other is temporal. Given that Guthrie was heavily involved with the labour
movement, he had a keen eye for the injustices that befell the poor and downtrodden.
The evictions and farm seizures of the depression years made many people homeless,
and they left the hell of the dust-bowl for the promised land of California.

Famine and poverty always sees the movement of people across borders.
It is in human nature to want a better life, but somebody will always be around to
build a wall, be it political, or concrete to stop the influx of desperate people.

Guthrie wanted to break down the walls.

Hippie Dribble
03-28-2012, 09:18 PM
well said and well played Rob. :)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Incredible String Band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvwc6jJyovg

This world is not my home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqRpyG0W96k

I ain't got no home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12EvtfwDCM4

Ducks on pond (last two verses)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90jFKaVDP2k

Surprise surprise THIS WORLD IS NOT MY HOME was written by (Albert E. Brumley) in 1937.
Brumley was born near Spiro, Oklahoma on October 29, 1905. Pre-Dustbowl Oklahoma was
primarily made up of sparse agricultural communities; Brumley's family was no different.
He spent much of his early life chopping and picking cotton on his family's farm.
Same old territory as Woody Guthrie.

Everybody borrows from everybody else.

Though the themes of the songs are quite different. Diametrically opposed in fact, since one
is spiritual while the other is temporal. Given that Guthrie was heavily involved with the labour
movement, he had a keen eye for the injustices that befell the poor and downtrodden.
The evictions and farm seizures of the depression years made many people homeless,
and they left the hell of the dust-bowl for the promised land of California.

Famine and poverty always sees the movement of people across borders.
It is in human nature to want a better life, but somebody will always be around to
build a wall, be it political, or concrete to stop the influx of desperate people.

Guthrie wanted to break down the walls.

Great, haunting performance. Thanks, Rob!

wee_ginga_yin
03-28-2012, 10:34 PM
well said and well played Rob. :)

Hadrian's wall, Great wall of China, Berlin wall, all epic fails.
and now there are walls going up in Mexico and Israel.

ukuleledaveey
03-29-2012, 12:43 AM
great perfprmance wee_ginga , i am eagerly awaiting delivery of my new webcam , before i can record, but have been practicing 2 woody songs every day, hopefuloy cam will get here before cut off date lol :)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-29-2012, 01:08 PM
A friend asked me to sing this at her wedding later this spring...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLG1Plgu3dQ&feature=youtu.be

In Guthrie's spirit, let's continue to sing truth to power for the next hundred years, or until we're simply singing the truth, whichever comes first.

God's Promise

I didn't promise you skies painted blue
Not all colored flowers all your days through
I didn't promise you, sun with no rain
Joys without sorrows, peace without pain.

All that I promise is strength for this day,
Rest for my worker, and light on your way.
I give you truth when you need it, my help from above,
Undying friendship, my unfailing love.

I never did promise you crowns without trials,
Food with no hard sweat, your tears without smiles,
Hot sunny days without cold wintry snows,
No vict'ry without fightin', no laughs without woes.

Rest for my, worker, my light on your way,

I sure didn't say I'd give you heaven on earth,
A life with no labor no struggles no deaths,
No earthquakes no dryspells, no fire flames no droughts,
No slaving no hungers, no blizzards no blights.

Rest for my worker, my light on your way,

I promise you power, this minute this hour,
The power you need when you fall down to bleed,
I give you my peace, and my strength to pull home
My love for all races all creeds and all kinds.

My flavors my saviors my creeds of all kinds,
My love for my saviors, all colors all kinds,
My love for my races all creeders all kinds,
My saviors my flavors my dancers all kinds,
My dancers my prancers my singers all kinds,
My flavors my saviors my dancers all kinds.

ukuleledaveey
03-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Loved it Ralf, your playing and singing sounded wonderful :) hoping my webcam gets here soon, so i can tentatively put my effort up have a great weekend :)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Loved it Ralf, your playing and singing sounded wonderful :) hoping my webcam gets here soon, so i can tentatively put my effort up have a great weekend :)

Thanks. Hope your camera shows up soon; looking forward to hearing from you.

wolfybau
03-29-2012, 04:50 PM
In Guthrie's spirit, let's continue to sing truth to power for the next hundred years, or until we're simply singing the truth, whichever comes first.

having a rough day today and realy need to hear this lovely song and beautiful performance of it . thanks for posting it. aloha

ukuleledaddy
03-29-2012, 05:13 PM
This ain't gonna win no prize but it sure was fun. Here's my kids and I doing Woodie Guthrie's All Work Together. I've never heard this song so I just used a chord progression from another family favorite and away we went! Thanks for this great challenge Jon. I was slightly familiar with Woodie's songs but I had no idea that a lot of songs I knew were his. I also discovered more wonderful tunes I've never heard. I was hoping to get a chance to work on Hobo's Lullaby but I'm out of time and out of town tomorrow. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYHpqOWENRQ&list=UUwOfmPtmH0q5v_XIFVIWYsA&index=1&feature=plcp

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-29-2012, 05:52 PM
having a rough day today and realy need to hear this lovely song and beautiful performance of it . thanks for posting it. aloha

Happy to help, Alice. Thank you for the kind words.

peewee
03-29-2012, 06:09 PM
I was hoping to get a chance to work on Hobo's Lullaby but I'm out of time and out of town tomorrow. Enjoy!

Around here Hobo's Lullaby is the surefire Marlin Perkins tranquilizer dart gun go-to-sleep song for my 5 year old. I highly recommend it!

Hippie Dribble
03-29-2012, 06:37 PM
wonderful entries so far gang....keep em comin, plenty of time left!!!

except where's Christiano???? Now you're finally let off the judges leash we're expecting something special brus.... :p

Hippie Dribble
03-29-2012, 06:40 PM
news flash! Prize update!!!!

Cliff Edwards compilation CD
Woody Guthrie compilation CD
original "Essential Strums for the Ukulele" DVD, Ralph Shaw
kazoo with trumpet
2 'Uke can change the world' stickers
2 felt picks
eugene CD of early jazz era tunes

BIG Bickies!!!!! :o

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-29-2012, 07:37 PM
This ain't gonna win no prize but it sure was fun. Here's my kids and I doing Woodie Guthrie's All Work Together. I've never heard this song so I just used a chord progression from another family favorite and away we went! Thanks for this great challenge Jon. I was slightly familiar with Woodie's songs but I had no idea that a lot of songs I knew were his. I also discovered more wonderful tunes I've never heard. I was hoping to get a chance to work on Hobo's Lullaby but I'm out of time and out of town tomorrow. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYHpqOWENRQ&list=UUwOfmPtmH0q5v_XIFVIWYsA&index=1&feature=plcp

Sweet. Love the increasingly intense choruses. Fun!

ukuleledaveey
03-30-2012, 02:19 AM
news flash! Prize update!!!!

Cliff Edwards compilation CD
Woody Guthrie compilation CD
original "Essential Strums for the Ukulele" DVD, Ralph Shaw
kazoo with trumpet
2 'Uke can change the world' stickers
2 felt picks
eugene CD of early jazz era tunes

BIG Bickies!!!!! :o

Wow love them prizes,jsut to get my hands on some woody stuff would be awesome, thanks so much Jon for this comp, about to do try and do my first vid and i am nervous, i am also being filmed by channel 4 tonight for "Come dine with me" as me and two of our uke club are providing some of the entertainment for the dinner party, hopefully give the mighty uke some more exposure,

ukuleledaveey
03-30-2012, 05:48 AM
Hi all well here is my first entry, im extremly nervous hope i havent done to bad a job, rushing around as i am on a tv show that is being recorded tonight, im playing ukulele with some friends on a tv show called come dine with me, so i am extremely nervous lol and double nervous doing this vid, anyway recorded live from my loft(man cave). hope it is so so, loved everyones vids so far :)
Bad Lee Brown Cocaine Blues,by Woody Guthrie,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHWOFiMo4j4

ukuloonie
03-30-2012, 06:02 AM
Hi all well here is my first entry, im extremly nervous hope i havent done to bad a job, rushing around as i am on a tv show that is being recorded tonight, im playing ukulele with some friends on a tv show called come dine with me, so i am extremely nervous lol and double nervous doing this vid, anyway recorded live from my loft(man cave). hope it is so so, loved everyones vids so far :)

Dont now what you are worrying about mate, The singing and playing sounds great.

ukuleledaddy
03-30-2012, 06:29 AM

That was great! The song, the singing, the playing, all very enjoyable. Welcome to the contest!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-30-2012, 07:38 AM

The song not only survived unscathed, it's looking a little happier and healthier. Sounds great!

ukuleledaddy
03-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Sweet. Love the increasingly intense choruses. Fun!

Thanks Ralph. The increasingly intense courses help keep the kids' attention. Glad you liked it!

thesillydave
03-30-2012, 09:30 AM
my entry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZtNkrveClY&feature=youtu.be

thanks jon, found some good stuff out there, and all those played here as well!

ukuleledaveey
03-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Many thanks UkuleleDaddy, loved your entry to, that looked so much fun, thanks ukuloonie really appreciate your positive feedback as well, many thanks Ralf for your kind positive feedback as well, when I practised it I tended to either do it slow or the fast version i put up, my wife said she liked both ways I played it, plus also i think it is nice if you can manage to put a little bit of you in it, it was never intended, it was just the way it came out :) but really appreciate your words as I do from all of you. And so sorry for all my babbling talk at the beginning.
Loved your song to the sillydave, loved your strumming on that,the tune sounded fantastic :)

bonesigh
03-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Oooo. Nice prizes. Now I've got to get that entry in. Hopefully tomorrow.

thesillydave
03-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Many thanks UkuleleDaddy, loved your entry to, that looked so much fun, thanks ukuloonie really appreciate your positive feedback as well, many thanks Ralf for your kind positive feedback as well, when I practised it I tended to either do it slow or the fast version i put up, my wife said she liked both ways I played it, plus also i think it is nice if you can manage to put a little bit of you in it, it was never intended, it was just the way it came out :) but really appreciate your words as I do from all of you. And so sorry for all my babbling talk at the beginning.
Loved your song to the sillydave, loved your strumming on that,the tune sounded fantastic :)

ukuleledaveey, thanks for the nice words, and also, you sounded great! you should do more videos! cheers!

strumsilly
03-31-2012, 05:05 AM
been on a bicycle tour all week [fun] and I just whipped this out. if it's too late feel free to disqualify me. AI had to do it because I love Woody and am beginning to really [insert strong negative words here] the banksters. their greed is ruining our way of life!

http://youtu.be/dewbq7C1ksw
I don't know if I screwed up and no sound recorded, or my computer is just not playing the sound back, good grief!
great lyrics though,
“The Jolly Banker”
Wilco (a Woody Guthrie cover)
G******************************************* C
My name is Tom Cranker, and I’m a jolly banker,
G************************************************* D
I’m a jolly banker, jolly banker am I.
C******************************************* G
I safeguard the farmers and widows and orphans,
G******************************************** D************** G
Singin’ I’m a jolly banker, jolly banker am I.
[G]When dust storms are sailing, and[C] crops they are failing,
[G]I’m a jolly banker, jolly banker am I.[D]
[C]I check up your shortage and[G] bring down your mortgage,
[G]Singin’ I’m a jolly banker, jolly[D] banker am I.[G]
[G]When money you’re needing, and[C] mouths you are feeding,
[G]I’m a jolly banker, jolly[D] banker am I.
[C]I’ll plaster your home with a[G] furniture loan,
[G]Singin’ I’m a jolly banker,[D] jolly banker am I.[G]
[G]If you show me you need it, I’ll[C] let you have credit;
[G]I’m a jolly banker, jolly banker am I[D].
[C]Just bring me back two for the one[G] I lend you,
[G]Singin’ I’m a jolly banker, [D]jolly banker am I.
[G]When your car you’re losin’ and[C] sadly your cruisin’,
[C]I’ll come and foreclose, get your[G] car and your clothes,
[G]When the bugs get your cotton, the [C]times they are rotten,
[C]I’ll come down and help you, I’ll [G]rape you and scalp you,
[G]When the landlords abuse you or [C]sadly misuse you,
[C]I’ll send down the police to[G] keep you from mischief,
[G]Singin’ I’m a jolly banker, [D]jolly banker am I.[G]
[G]Singin’ I’m a jolly banker,[D] jolly banker am I.[G]
[G]Singin’ I’m a jolly banker, [D]jolly banker am I.[G]

mattydee
03-31-2012, 05:08 AM
been on a bicycle tour all week [fun] and I just whipped this out. if it's too late feel free to disqualify me. AI had to do it because I love Woody and am beginning to really [insert strong negative words here] the banksters. their greed is ruining our way of life!

http://youtu.be/dewbq7C1ksw

Pssst! Strumsilly! There's no sound...

strumsilly
03-31-2012, 05:16 AM
probably better that way.If I have time I'll redo it. but visitors are coming and I have to do a "little" cleaning. if not, just listen to Woody do it.
http://youtu.be/NdyLb7ouXUU

UK Paulie
03-31-2012, 05:34 AM
Heh, heh. Being British probably counts as a better excuse. Woody was a staple of Americana but I don't know that his stuff was ever that popular across the pond.

JOhn

AH!! Well that'll do, yes thats it, it's because I'm from the UK...ahem....yes...

UK Paulie
03-31-2012, 05:41 AM
http://youtu.be/z1a2p0DKKiQ

Ok so i've still got camera issues and I just gave up smoking too so I'm GRUMPY!! GRRRRR......

eor
03-31-2012, 06:36 AM
Pssst! Strumsilly! There's no sound...

..............thats called singin solo .............(you know the rest)

thanks folks , i'm here all week. try the lobster.

never thought i would ever get a chance to say that....damn............. :-) the uke gods have been kind.

eor

OldePhart
03-31-2012, 09:43 AM
..............thats called singin solo .............(you know the rest)

thanks folks , i'm here all week. try the lobster.

never thought i would ever get a chance to say that....damn............. :-) the uke gods have been kind.

eor

Hmmmm...maybe he was doing that in honor of Woody's mime period...

OldePhart
03-31-2012, 09:45 AM

I don't know if I screwed up and no sound recorded, or my computer is just not playing the sound back, good grief!
great lyrics though,
ďThe Jolly BankerĒ
Wilco (a Woody Guthrie cover)
G******************************************* C
My name is Tom Cranker, and Iím a jolly banker,
G************************************************* D
Iím a jolly banker, jolly banker am I.
C******************************************* G
I safeguard the farmers and widows and orphans,
G******************************************** D************** G
Singiní Iím a jolly banker, jolly banker am I.
[G]When dust storms are sailing, and[C] crops they are failing,
[G]Iím a jolly banker, jolly banker am I.[D]
[C]I check up your shortage and[G] bring down your mortgage,
[G]Singiní Iím a jolly banker, jolly[D] banker am I.[G]
[G]When money youíre needing, and[C] mouths you are feeding,
[G]Iím a jolly banker, jolly[D] banker am I.
[C]Iíll plaster your home with a[G] furniture loan,
[G]Singiní Iím a jolly banker,[D] jolly banker am I.[G]
[G]If you show me you need it, Iíll[C] let you have credit;
[G]Iím a jolly banker, jolly banker am I[D].
[C]Just bring me back two for the one[G] I lend you,
[G]Singiní Iím a jolly banker, [D]jolly banker am I.
[G]When your car youíre losiní and[C] sadly your cruisiní,
[C]Iíll come and foreclose, get your[G] car and your clothes,
[G]When the bugs get your cotton, the [C]times they are rotten,
[C]Iíll come down and help you, Iíll [G]rape you and scalp you,
[G]When the landlords abuse you or [C]sadly misuse you,
[C]Iíll send down the police to[G] keep you from mischief,
[G]Singiní Iím a jolly banker, [D]jolly banker am I.[G]
[G]Singiní Iím a jolly banker,[D] jolly banker am I.[G]
[G]Singiní Iím a jolly banker, [D]jolly banker am I.[G]

Ry Cooder has a great song with similar theme on his last grammy-nominated album. "No Banker Left Behind" (name of the song, not the album). I almost did it for the grammy week of the six seasons.

John

myrnaukelele
03-31-2012, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=wee_ginga_yin;901936]Woody Guthrie song with a tune he borrowed from the
Incredible String Band.

Only now finding time to watch the Woody Week vids and I am so moved by your hearfelt rendition of this beautiful old song.
Thanks wee ginga yin.

myrnaukelele
03-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Incredible String Band.

Only now finding time to watch the Woody Week vids and I am so moved by your hearfelt rendition of this beautiful old song.
Thanks wee ginga yin.

chrimess
03-31-2012, 05:38 PM
...weird to be on the other side of the contest again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY17ZKb1A1M

Hippie Dribble
03-31-2012, 06:11 PM

so awesome you joined in Christian. This was intense. And great.

ukuloonie
03-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Here is my entry for the Woody Guthrie Week. Hobo's lullaby with my firefly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G82--FZp594&feature=youtu.be

thesillydave
03-31-2012, 10:01 PM
christian, that was way above board! too much for me!
i couldn't keep up with the pick'n....sounded way above and beyond the parameters! you've been holding back! cheers to alll!

loonie! that was wonderful! i have a ukulele bango...i haven't mastered it enough....great job!

ukuleledaveey
04-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Wow your a dark horse Christian that was fantastic playing, good to see you in action :)
Ukuloonie that was fantastic to loved your playing and your voice sounded fantastic for that song really really enjoyed it, I have loved all the entries this week, so glad i joined in :)

Hippie Dribble
04-01-2012, 01:42 AM
Many thanks to everyone who participated in our week of tributes to the great Woody Guthrie in the 7th season of uke.

Here's the playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL95DCA96CAF486EE0&feature=plcp

Eugenie and I will post our impressions over the next few days and final results later in the week once we aggregate our scores with UKISOCIETY. Thanks you guys, some fab performances... :)

J-Peg
04-01-2012, 02:00 AM
Many thanks to everyone who participated in our week of tributes to the great Woody Guthrie in the 7th season of uke.

Here's the playlist:

Eugenie and I will post our impressions over the next few days and final results later in the week once we aggregate our scores with UKISOCIETY. Thanks you guys, some fab performances... :)

It's not over yet, is it? Midnight on Sunday would be tonight, right?

ukuleledaveey
04-01-2012, 04:37 AM
It's not over yet, is it? Midnight on Sunday would be tonight, right?

hope this helps this was in the rules " Cut Off Date

J-Peg
04-01-2012, 05:11 AM
hope this helps this was in the rules " Cut Off Date

Not to sound like a smartass or anything, but I repeat the question - midnight Sunday is tonight, right?

I only ask because Jon's post had a ring of finality to it.

mattydee
04-01-2012, 05:58 AM
Not to sound like a smartass or anything, but I repeat the question - midnight Sunday is tonight, right?

I only ask because Jon's post had a ring of finality to it.

That's what I thought. I've got one to upload this morning.

strumsilly
04-01-2012, 06:27 AM
ok, the guests are gone and I had time to quicky redo "Jolly Banker", with sound. funny how songs are more interesting with audio. one take , you can tell before coffee, kind of slow, but luckily Woody was all about lyrics, not fancy fretwork. If he were alive today I'm sure he would have written a few more about the banksters and the politicians who are in bed with them.

http://youtu.be/DKyFBTpLJPI
“Anyone who uses more than two chords is just showing off.”
― Woody Guthrie
“Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple.”
― Woody Guthrie

mattydee
04-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Here's my entry... I'm doing a benefit concert of Jesus Christ Superstar for a theater that employs me quite a bit, so Jesus and charity have been on my mind. Also, always on my mind is political hypocrisy, so it was a perfect storm this week. This isn't the perfect take, but I ran out of time... ah well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46jwsaRqiEs

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Confusion over the deadline. Argh. On the calendar, midnight Sunday is the minute following 11:59 pm Saturday. That's last night, so Jon called it a contest and made the playlist.

But ukulele hobos aren't used to living by the clock, so we should give them a break.

Jon, can people who were confused about the deadline get their videos in today? Pretty please?

ukuleledaveey
04-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Fantastic to finally hear your version strumsilly, i loved it great job.
that was fab to mattydee he he :) the elusive perfect take, they are rare around my part of town, great job loved it well done guys

ukuleledaveey
04-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Confusion over the deadline. Argh. On the calendar, midnight Sunday is the minute following 11:59 pm Saturday. That's last night, so Jon called it a contest and made the playlist.

But ukulele hobos aren't used to living by the clock, so we should give them a break.

Jon, can people who were confused about the deadline get their videos in today? Pretty please?

must admit it doesnt take alot to confuse me lol, i agree with Ralf i am more than happy to include them although the decision is not mine, im totally cool with it :)

mattydee
04-01-2012, 10:59 AM

The six seasons contests all ended at midnight Saturday and we took many many submissions that were uploaded on that Saturday. I think common parlance is that midnight on a particular day is the end of that day, not the beginning, no matter what the actual calendar may say.

J-Peg
04-01-2012, 11:04 AM
In the military, midnight was 12:00 PM and was the end of the day. The US National Institute of Standards and Technology states that the term "midnight on *insert day*" is ambiguous and should be avoided. In the Six Season Contest, Christian called the deadline of midnight Saturday and accepted entries until 5 AM US Eastern time on Sunday, so I assumed we were using the same convention in terminology.

But it's Jon's call. I'm going to submit my video either way, even if it's just to share it.

fitncrafty
04-01-2012, 11:07 AM

That was a winner! So much fun and great memories made with your girls!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Great stuff, everyone! I've been enjoying the playlist all morning. Here's some feedback for those I'd missed...

glass: Nice version of a classic. Your energy was so infectious, I picked a uke and strummed and sang along. Fun.

Peewee: Nice to have you in the "Seasons" crew. Your spirited performance fits right in. Good one.

thesillydave: Amazing how many of Guthrie's songs haven't aged a day. This one could've been written last week. Thanks for a sweet version. Nice, folksy strumming.

UK Paulie: Nice picking and singing. It takes guts to put together an unfamiliar tune quickly. Thanks for braving the seventh season with us.

chrimess: Glad to have you back among the people! (Although, your were an excellent contest oligarch.) Singing and playing the melody together is cool, nice work. And sweet instrumental breaks. Were you practicing ripping while we were all learning Disney songs?

ukuloonie: Ah, banjo uke. Fitting choice. And some clawhammer-y stuff along with the usual sweet singing and strumming. Cool. You should get 5 out 5 in the "setting" category. Basement steps, the hobo's couch.

strumsilly: Great song choice. Nice melody in your playing. You've got a little of that banker's glee in your delivery, too. Sad that we're basically back in the same situation we were in when Guthrie wrote this one.

mattydee: Heavy tune. Nice choice and a great, heartfelt performance. The verse with just percussion and singing rules, especially.

eugeneukulele: Way to sneak another killer one into the playlist. Gracias. You don't want to give up that Cliff Edwards collection, do you?

J-Peg
04-01-2012, 11:37 AM
A couple years ago, Woody's daughter Nora invited singer/songwriter Jonatha Brooke to go through her father's unreleased lyrics to see if she could put any of them to music. This was one of the results of that posthumous collaboration. The tune isn't especially "Woody" sounding, but I really like the lyrics. It's cool to know that Woody was as passionate about his personal life as he was about his politics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUJPt-kybTY&feature=youtu.be

ukuleledaveey
04-01-2012, 12:50 PM
that was great J-peg really enjoyed it love your strumming :)

Hippie Dribble
04-01-2012, 01:16 PM
sorry guys, I've just woken up and missed all this...

I'm all over the place at the moment. Yeah, I was a day early, I actually did mean midnight Sunday night. I'll add these last few on to the playlist after the deadline actually finishes!!! shucks....contest still open for hours yet!!!!!

Think I was used to Christian's saturday night deadline and just went back there by default as the brain has been coasting in neutral for some days, sorry for the confusion folks, but it IS midnight tonight :o

Do I get a prize for being the first contest holder to stuff up the deadline twice in a comp that only goes for a week? Also the record for having more posts about the deadline than entries? He he.....

ukuleledaveey
04-01-2012, 01:27 PM
sorry guys, I've just woken up and missed all this...

I'm all over the place at the moment. Yeah, I was a day early, I actually did mean midnight Sunday night. I'll add these last few on to the playlist after the deadline actually finishes!!! shucks....contest still open for hours yet!!!!!

Think I was used to Christian's saturday night deadline and just went back there by default as the brain has been coasting in neutral for some days, sorry for the confusion folks, but it IS midnight tonight :o

Do I get a prize for being the first contest holder to stuff up the deadline twice in a comp that only goes for a week? Also the record for having more posts about the deadline than entries? He he.....

No Worries mate, just hearty thanks for the comp :)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-01-2012, 01:43 PM
A couple years ago, Woody's daughter Nora invited singer/songwriter Jonatha Brooke to go through her father's unreleased lyrics to see if she could put any of them to music. This was one of the results of that posthumous collaboration. The tune isn't especially "Woody" sounding, but I really like the lyrics. It's cool to know that Woody was as passionate about his personal life as he was about his politics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUJPt-kybTY&feature=youtu.be

Nice choice, J-Peg. It's like Guthrie's "I'm Sexy and I Know It". A little more sweet, though. Especially your version.

J-Peg
04-01-2012, 01:44 PM
No worries, eugene. I'm just glad you stepped up and made it happen at all.

ukuloonie
04-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Ukuloonie that was fantastic loved your playing and your voice sounded fantastic for that song really really enjoyed it

Thanks Ukuleledaveey

J-Peg
04-01-2012, 02:01 PM
that was great J-peg really enjoyed it love your strumming :)

Nice choice, J-Peg. It's like Guthrie's "I'm Sexy and I Know It". A little more sweet, though. Especially your version.

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

myrnaukelele
04-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Found some time today to record a song for Woody Week. I'm one of the ones who thought the deadline was midnight tonight (Sunday).

http://youtu.be/lEy2SxivQY8

bonesigh
04-01-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm just not gonna be able to make the deadline. Been having a lot of fun playing one of my favorite children's songs all week though. "Froggy Went a Courtin'" I was going to do the full Woody version with the "Hey, hey, hey's." I just can't find the energy though. There were 9 little girls over hear last night for my 9yr old's b-day party. They left around 10am today.

Good luck everyone!

Can I still enter next week?

ukuloonie
04-01-2012, 04:45 PM
cheers to alll!
loonie! that was wonderful! i have a ukulele bango...i haven't mastered it enough....great job!

Thanks Sillydave
This is a cool competition, learned a ton so far,
I like these competitions
because I dont really know how to express it clearly
but that instead of lurking in the forum and making the odd comment
This competition helps me feel more involved and invested in this community.
Thanks again.

Hippie Dribble
04-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Found some time today to record a song for Woody Week. I'm one of the ones who thought the deadline was midnight tonight (Sunday).

YAY! Three big cheers for the First Lady of Woody Week!!!!! :)

ukuloonie
04-01-2012, 05:08 PM

Nice playing. Myrnaukelele
Snow should be gone soon, we've nearly lost ours here in Southern Alberta Canada, ahh warm spring days are a comin.

ukuloonie
04-01-2012, 05:09 PM

I really Liked the intro to this song, nice playing Christian.

myrnaukelele
04-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Nice playing. Myrnaukelele
Snow should be gone soon, we've nearly lost ours here in Southern Alberta Canada, ahh warm spring days are a comin.

Thanks ukuloonie! Yes~it's warming up~spring is on the way. Let's hear it for breakup! It's just that we got SO much snow this winter (2nd snowiest on record) it'll be awhile before it all melts away. Hope there won't be too much flooding.

ukuloonie
04-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Sounds pretty good there Uk Paulie
A million takes, I hear you, thats how many it usually takes me. :cool:

http://youtu.be/z1a2p0DKKiQ

Ok so i've still got camera issues and I just gave up smoking too so I'm GRUMPY!! GRRRRR......

Hippie Dribble
04-01-2012, 06:39 PM
wow you guys, this is just wonderful watching all these clips. Woody would be proud I have no doubt. So many great songs here. Shucks...this judging caper...I have no idea how Christian, Alice and Mim waded through 30+ entries each week. It feels like a bigger challenge to sort them than the challenge itself...he he. Anyway, just awesome folks, just awesome. :)

ukuleledaveey
04-02-2012, 12:22 AM

That was awesome im not a big lover of banjolele's (just a personal choice, then again i said the same about baritones and now i have one) but that sounded really good and loved the scenery behind you, that was a great vid and loved the song, your playing and singing was fab :)

Hippie Dribble
04-02-2012, 01:31 AM
Final Playlist:

myrnaukelele
04-02-2012, 07:22 AM
That was awesome im not a big lover of banjolele's (just a personal choice, then again i said the same about baritones and now i have one) but that sounded really good and loved the scenery behind you, that was a great vid and loved the song, your playing and singing was fab :)

Thanks ukeleledaveey~ You did a nice song as well -I thought it was perfect for your style of playing. You have a great strumming style.
The banjolele isn't for everyone. But I do a lot of folk and old-timey music and some country songs just sound good with a banjo. Someday I'll learn to play clawhammer style.

OldePhart
04-02-2012, 07:56 AM

Nice job Myrna but...dang! that looks cold! :)

John

UKISOCIETY
04-02-2012, 08:25 AM
i watched them all and they were grand. Great job, everyone!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-02-2012, 01:39 PM

Great one, Myrna! Banjo uke's the perfect accompaniment for your great singing on this one. And what a beautiful place to sit, strum, and sing. Thanks for braving the cold to share the view with us.

ukuleledaveey
04-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks ukeleledaveey~ You did a nice song as well -I thought it was perfect for your style of playing. You have a great strumming style.
The banjolele isn't for everyone. But I do a lot of folk and old-timey music and some country songs just sound good with a banjo. Someday I'll learn to play clawhammer style.
Thanks so much for your wonderful comments to myrnaukelele, your very kind, im amazed by the positive feedback from everyone as i have only been playing for just over a year and dont rate myself to proficient in playing and certainly not my singing, but it is certainly wonderful to read such support from you all, thanks :)

Hippie Dribble
04-03-2012, 01:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-myjT7tv7Rc

ukuleledaveey
04-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the great feedback Jon :) really really appreciate it, sorry for the long waffling intro and the shirt lol i will do better with the intro's from now on i blame the nerves lol god forbid if i ever won a oscar lol anyway thanks for all the effort you have put in and must say i loved every entry, i sat through them all with my good lady and she enjoyed them to :)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-03-2012, 03:01 PM

Thank you for the kind words, Jon.

Yep, that's my new Kala baritone, a KA-B. Been strumming and picking away at it for a couple weeks now. I'm absolutely loving the deep baritone sound---so mellow and sweet. And re-learning familiar songs on the bari is a fun puzzle. Better than sudoku, for sure.

ukuloonie
04-03-2012, 03:32 PM
A friend asked me to sing this at her wedding later this spring...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLG1Plgu3dQ&feature=youtu.be

Cool Playing Ralf

ukuloonie
04-03-2012, 03:35 PM

Nice playing and I like the background singers, didn't realize that Woody wrote children songs too.

Hippie Dribble
04-03-2012, 05:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buQUl0nnOXo

well done everyone!!!! :)

ukuloonie
04-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks (EugeneUkulele) Jon, for your kind words, It's been fun learning a whole bunch of songs I wouldn't normally be aware of,
every bit of information helps to get better at playing and singing.
Thanks for putting the time and effort into judging this week.

thesillydave
04-03-2012, 08:15 PM
thanks jon for the really nice words and very detailed review of all the videos! you're giving christian, mim, and wolfybau a run for the critics choice awards contest!
looking forward to the results...and the next challenge!
cheers!

peewee
04-03-2012, 09:05 PM

thanks for the kind words, oh Multihatted Tasman !
and great job everybody, some cool vids in tribute to Woody, America's favorite socialist!

strumsilly
04-04-2012, 06:44 AM
thanks for the in depth impressions Eugene. any hints on the topic for this week. or is it already out there and I missed it?

mattydee
04-04-2012, 07:26 AM
thanks for the in depth impressions Eugene. any hints on the topic for this week. or is it already out there and I missed it?

You got a topic? Take it. Jon was the first to take up the mantle, but I think it's up to us now to keep the (semi-)weekly challenge going. I have to come up with a prize yet, but I have an idea for the ninth season... I just need someone to take the eighth first.

strumsilly
04-04-2012, 07:55 AM
you think a couple sets of strings would be enticing enough?

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-04-2012, 08:34 AM
you think a couple sets of strings would be enticing enough?

Is there anything (other than ukuleles themselves) more enticing to the average UUer than ukulele strings? Doubtful.

strumsilly
04-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Is there anything (other than ukuleles themselves) more enticing to the average UUer than ukulele strings? Doubtful.
ok , the 8th season is on, EASTER ,TWO string sets as a prize, winner takes all. separate thread for simplicity

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-04-2012, 10:59 AM
You got a topic? Take it. Jon was the first to take up the mantle, but I think it's up to us now to keep the (semi-)weekly challenge going. I have to come up with a prize yet, but I have an idea for the ninth season... I just need someone to take the eighth first.

Cool. strumsilly's got 8th, mattydee's got 9th, and I've got an idea (and a prize, even) for the 10th Season. Whee!

ukuloonie
04-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Should there be a specific fixed format for a point system for this competition.
flair 1-5 points
originality 1-5 points
playing, 1-5 points
singing, 1-5 points
personality, 1-5 points
setting and the 1-5 points
j'ne cais quoi factor 1-5 points
Etc
Something that could be printed off or am I going to way overboard in having a competition standard?

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Should there be a specific fixed format for a point system for this competition.
flair 1-5 points
originality 1-5 points
playing, 1-5 points
singing, 1-5 points
personality, 1-5 points
setting and the 1-5 points
j'ne cais quoi factor 1-5 points
Etc
Something that could be printed off or am I going to way overboard in having a competition standard?

I'm comfortable letting each week's new head judge decide on the scoring breakdown, and he or she can share as much information as he or she likes.

ukuloonie
04-04-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm comfortable letting each week's new head judge decide on the scoring breakdown, and he or she can share as much information as he or she likes.
Sounds good

Hippie Dribble
04-04-2012, 03:08 PM
a teaser for you folks re week 7 final results...

ALAN'S TOP 5:

1. wee_ginga_yin
2. J-Peg
3. mattydee
3. chrimess
5. TheOnlyUkeThatMatters

EUGENIE'S TOP 5...

1. glass
2. wee_ginga_yin
3. myrnaukulele
4. ukuleledaveey
5. mattydee
5. ukuleledaddy

talk about setting the cat amongst the pigeons.

All scores will be aggregated with final standings later today gang! Scores were tight all round and very little difference between 1 and 14. Having 3 different judges made certain that things were evened out as each judge had a unique take on the performances and different things tickled different fancies. Maybe a good thing as we keep this going to try and have 3 people doing it ... not always possible but it worked for us this week anyway...

back later :)

Hippie Dribble
04-04-2012, 03:25 PM
well...looks like everyone's already hopped over to the 8th season so i may as well just post results now

EUGENE'S TOP 5:

1. J-Peg
1. TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
3. wee_ginga_yin
4. mattydee
5. ukuloonie
5. myrnaukulele

FINAL RESULTS...

1. wee_ginga_yin 127
2. J-Peg 119
3. myrnaukulele 117

if anyone wants details re their scores / placings etc just PM me.
Thanks everyone, well done!!! lots of fun. Rob, will PM you re your prize.

ukuloonie
04-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Woohoo Weegingayin won

ukuleledaveey
04-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Well done wee-ginga and well done everyone, thanks for making me welcome and all your support and great comments, i feel flattered that i made it into Euginie's top 5 , that has made my day, thanks so much to you and Alan for taking the time to critique every video, really appreciate all the hard work you have put in, now onto the 8 th week :

Once again many thanks everyone

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Woohoo! wee_ginga_WIN!! Congratulations, Rob!

And congratulations and thank you to everyone for another week of great music. Thanks, especially, to Jon for keeping us strumming for another season.

Looking forward to having a musical Easter with y'all. <3

glass
04-04-2012, 05:45 PM
a teaser for you folks re week 7 final results...

ALAN'S TOP 5:

1. wee_ginga_yin
2. J-Peg
3. mattydee
3. chrimess
5. TheOnlyUkeThatMatters

EUGENIE'S TOP 5...

1. glass
2. wee_ginga_yin
3. myrnaukulele
4. ukuleledaveey
5. mattydee
5. ukuleledaddy

talk about setting the cat amongst the pigeons.

All scores will be aggregated with final standings later today gang! Scores were tight all round and very little difference between 1 and 14. Having 3 different judges made certain that things were evened out as each judge had a unique take on the performances and different things tickled different fancies. Maybe a good thing as we keep this going to try and have 3 people doing it ... not always possible but it worked for us this week anyway...

back later :)

Congrats to the winners and thanks to Eugenie for ranking me up there!!!! Maybe I have a Tasmanian groupie???

thesillydave
04-04-2012, 07:06 PM
well...looks like everyone's already hopped over to the 8th season so i may as well just post results now

EUGENE'S TOP 5:

1. J-Peg
1. TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
3. wee_ginga_yin
4. mattydee
5. ukuloonie
5. myrnaukulele

FINAL RESULTS...

1. wee_ginga_yin 127
2. J-Peg 119
3. myrnaukulele 117

congrats to the wee man!, jpeg...great rendition!..myrnauke, cool...and way too cold for me! congrats all! now, on to spring and warmth!

wee_ginga_yin
04-05-2012, 04:23 AM

EUGENE'S TOP 5:

1. J-Peg
1. TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
3. wee_ginga_yin
4. mattydee
5. ukuloonie
5. myrnaukulele

FINAL RESULTS...

1. wee_ginga_yin 127
2. J-Peg 119
3. myrnaukulele 117

What? What?? What??? Me win something? Must be a mistake!!!
Somebody demand a recount!!!

Acceptance speeches are like the waitresses at a busy restaurant.
When they're good, they're quick and hardly noticeable,
and when they're bad, they can ruin the whole affair.

So I will keep it short and say thanks for letting me play in your game,
Getting chosen instead of being left out is the best feeling ever...
and Jon can I have a framed copy of the nice words you said on your
"impressions video":smileybounce:

All the best

Rob

mattydee
04-05-2012, 04:53 AM
Well done, all! And extra congrats to Rob, and thanks to Jon. Time for Easter!

chrimess
04-05-2012, 05:27 AM
Well done, Rob- you certainly carried over some momentum from the previous few weeks

J-Peg
04-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Congrats Rob! You definitely deserve it.

And I'm amazed to come in second. Don't know how that happened:confused:

myrnaukelele
04-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Congrats Rob! You definitely deserve it.

And I'm amazed to come in second. Don't know how that happened:confused:

Yes Rob congratulations! Your entry really touched my heart. I'm glad to see your soulful rendition of that song took first prize.
And J-Peg- you did a wonderful rendition of Touch Me. Jonatha Brooke has taken many of Woody's lyrics and turned them into beautiful songs on her record The Works. I love that you used one of these songs for your entry and made it your own.
As for my humble banjolele playing - so glad the judges liked it(and so surprised to come in third- I would have picked Ralf or Christian or ukuleledavey or one of you other fine players :-)

Thanks for continuing on with the Seasons contest eugeneukulele!
and thanks to the judges as well - another fun contest!

ukuleledaveey
04-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Yes Rob congratulations! Your entry really touched my heart. I'm glad to see your soulful rendition of that song took first prize.
And J-Peg- you did a wonderful rendition of Touch Me. Jonatha Brooke has taken many of Woody's lyrics and turned them into beautiful songs on her record The Works. I love that you used one of these songs for your entry and made it your own.
As for my humble banjolele playing - so glad the judges liked it(and so surprised to come in third- I would have picked Ralf or Christian or ukuleledavey or one of you other fine players :-)

Thanks for continuing on with the Seasons contest eugeneukulele!
and thanks to the judges as well - another fun contest!
myrnaukelele you deserved to be ranked high, you were fantastic, I am gob smacked you mentioned me :O, I don't consider myself any more than a intermediate beginner I can strum , but I certainly don't have any je ne suis quais factor, but thanks so much for your wonderful words , in fact thanks so much everyone for your support, for a big lump of lard that i am, i do look a bit of a bruiser, i am in fact a delicate little flower, anyway happy Easter you wonderful people :)