"The Seventh Season of the Ukulele" contest: WOODY WEEK

H

Hippie Dribble

hey gang,

well someone's gotta kick it off, so here goes...

Your Challenge:

"Woody Week".

sing a Woody Guthrie song, one-take, no overdubs. Could be a song he wrote himself, one of the countless numbers of traditional songs he adapted with his own lyrics, or a traditional song he was well known for performing. It's also relevant because as many of you would already know, this year marks the 100th anniversary of his birth.

Alan (UKISOCIETY) has already opened a wonderful yootoob channel honouring the occasion. You can check it out here to get some additional ideas:
http://www.youtube.com/user/woody2012ukulele
or else PM me and I can maybe help you out, as I have a big pile of his recordings

Parameters:

are basically the same as those set by Christian. Don't want to make things too formal, but just introduce your song as "Woody Week" for the 7th season Uke Challenge and post your clip here on the thread. Use any instrument you can with as many arms and legs as you possess - as long as a ukulele is front and centre.

I will commission an esteemed group of judges to help me with the judging process. Criteria: playing, singing, creative flair, personality, setting and the j'ne cais quoi factor (whatever that means)...I'll post a critique ala Christiano style and announce results the same way the following week after close date. Hopefully the winner will take the reigns and run the 8th season...and so on...

Prizes

not sure yet but there will be a couple of uke stickers, a CD or 2, some felt picks, maybe a kazoo. I'll see what else I can rustle up. :)

Cut Off Date

Entries should be posted here by midnight, Hawaii time on Sunday April 1.

That's it guys. Once all entries are in I will do up a playlist and send it to Alan for inclusion (hopefully) on his yootoob channel. Any questions just post em here...

Lets keep the love and encouragement of each other going gang, after all, that' what it's all about eh :)

blessings and love to all
eugene

Last edited:
Fantastic effort Jon, thanks for starting this, im defo going to give it a try, i only know one song at the mo and no doubt it is the one everyone knows lol, but i will do some research as i love looking things up . You got me interested in woody, from oneof your previous vids, anyway thanks for kicking this off, cheers :)

I'm gonna do my best to enter... I don't have Internet at the moment, but as soon as I get back on...

as many, including me, are always curious as to how scores are arrived at in these contests, here's the drum:

POINTS SCORE

will be awarded for each entry in these criteria:

1. playing (out of 15)
2. singing (out of 15)
3. performance: personality / creative flair / camera presence etc (10)
4. setting (5)
5. x factor (5)

for a maximum possible total of 50 points.

I am trying to solicit Alan to co-judge as we speak and waiting for him to get back to me. The other judges will be myself and eugenie. If Alan can't do it I will find another member to help out. This way we will have 3 scores out of 50 for each entry which will be added up to get the final total!!!

all sound good??? Too wanky??? let me know. Otherwise Happy woodying folks... :)

Last edited:
Entries should be posted here by midnight, Hawaii time on Saturday April 10.

That's it guys. Once all entries are in I will do up a playlist and send it to Alan for inclusion (hopefully) on his yootoob channel. Any questions just post em here...

Lets keep the love and encouragement of each other going gang, after all, that' what it's all about eh :)

blessings and love to all
eugene

I'm confused. April 10 is a Tuesday. Sunday April 1, maybe? So that it's a proper week? I think the exquisite pressure of the one week deadline was part of what made the six seasons so invigorating.

However it shakes out, I'm in.

I'm confused. April 10 is a Tuesday. Sunday April 1, maybe? So that it's a proper week? I think the exquisite pressure of the one week deadline was part of what made the six seasons so invigorating.

However it shakes out, I'm in.

oops, sorry matty, I meant april 7.

was doing it all on the fly as the idea came to me, also trying to factor in that I'm a day ahead of you guys and that i hadn't been able to contact Alan yet..

but hey, let's make it Sunday midnight April 1. perfect. i'll just go back and fix up the OP to change it to the correct date. thanks for the heads up on the mistake and your suggestion to raise the heat a little. i agree with you totally .

Cheers brother!

ok guys, at mattydee's excellent suggestion above, the close date is officially now

Sunday April 1 at midnight Hawaii time

it has also been changed in the OP to reflect this. Thanks everyone!!!!

Here's another entry... I hope it's OK that this is my first "season".

thanks you two for getting the contest rolling so soon and so well. Great start!!!

And peewee, open to one and all mate, glad you've joined in the fun!!! :)

Hey Jon count me in brother! Thanks for taking the baton mate!!

awesome Paulie. I guess this week maybe not quite as challenging as some of the others...he he..I think Woody only ever used 3 chords in 40 years. :p But the songs...mmmmmmmm. yes.

awesome Paulie. I guess this week maybe not quite as challenging as some of the others...he he..I think Woody only ever used 3 chords in 40 years. :p But the songs...mmmmmmmm. yes.

Well thats a relief! I may have to take you up on the 'pm me if you need help' offer because I haven't a clue....Does I'm only 30 count as a good excuse for not having a clue about woody Guthrie?

Well thats a relief! I may have to take you up on the 'pm me if you need help' offer because I haven't a clue....Does I'm only 30 count as a good excuse for not having a clue about woody Guthrie?
ha ha...well...maybe mate :p

here's somewhere really basic to start. This site has a handful of songs with some chords already done up for you
http://www.chordie.com/song.php/songartist/Woody+Guthrie/index.html
you could always flick through a few of those and then youtube a search for the song you're thinking about playing, to get an idea of how it's meant to sound.

Also, look up Alan's channel which already has a good list of videos up there Paulie. That should be a decent start at it anyway bro...
http://www.youtube.com/user/woody2012ukulele

Heh, heh. Being British probably counts as a better excuse. Woody was a staple of Americana but I don't know that his stuff was ever that popular across the pond.

JOhn

Top Bottom