Kazoo and tambourine

Nickie

Reaction score
I just got a kazoo and a tambourine given to me and I have no idea how to play them.The tam looks pretty good on my wall. Are there lesson videos in here?

Here is a free one minit lesson for the kazoo. Put it between your lips and close them around the kazoo like you are holding a straw in your mouth. HUM a tune you like. The membrane in the kazoo will vibrate to your humming and make that sound. That's all.

As to the tam, there are vids around http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_2520_play-tambourine.html

Best bet is a 'kazoo bridle' around your neck to hold
the kazoo about an inch in front of your mouth. I make
them from old wire coathangers! Nothing technical, you
can bend the original Hook on the top to hold the kazoo
and if it is not stable,a small rubber band will hold it!
Then the tambourine should be (if you are playing your
ukulele) flat on the floor,and just tap your foot on it!
Kinda 'one man/woman band' effect, but very cool once
you figure it all out and it comes together!

Hey thanks guys! I was kidding, but you actually helped me! I've been looking for a tambourine/kazoo player!

Sometimes playing the tambourine can be a little more complicated than one might think at first ...

Sometimes playing the tambourine can be a little more complicated than one might think at first ...

Wow! I wonder if I can learn that. Have to get a different tam, though, mine is skinless...

Wow! I wonder if I can learn that. Have to get a different tam, though, mine is skinless...

That instrument is an Egyptian tambourine called a riq. I have three of them but can only do the basics, not like this guy.

Here are a few different kinds available online:
riqs @ google shopping

You can find many riq tutorials on youtube. I recommend looking at David Kuckhermann

Or you could check out Raquy, from whom I have taken a good many classes on dumbek and a tad on riq (and still am not so great):
http://www.raquy.com/store/

Top Bottom