PDA

View Full Version : BRAND NEW UNTOUCHED Custom Collings UC2 Concert

Hippie Dribble
03-25-2012, 10:38 PM
SOLD

so new I haven't even received it yet. I ordered this custom ukulele months ago. It's just finished being built, and is now on it's way to my home.

I can't afford to keep it, it's that simple. My circumstances have changed: I have bills to pay and no job. I'm devastated as it was my dream uke. I paid $2150 for this ukulele, not including whatever I may have to fork out in customs...eeew, just can't even contemplate that at the moment.

Anyway, here are some pics from Artisan Guitars that Bill Warmoth sent me upon it's arrival to him from the Collings folks:
http://artisanguitars.com/collings-ukulele-uc2-custom-western-shaded-top-and-rope-purfling/

I can provide my personal photographs when I receive it if you would like. If necessary I can do a sound demo as well.

Basic specs:
wide grained master grade adirondack spruce top
mahogany body and neck
ebony fretboard, bridge, headplate
vintage ivoroid binding
rope purfling
peghed tuners
18 frets, 12 to the body
haircut headstock design
tangerine sunburst finish on top
full gloss finish

PM me if you would like to talk more about this ukulele. I know I am not meeting the requirements for posting but I just wanted to give anyone interested a heads-up. I will update with my own photos when I am able and a video demo if requested. Thanks for looking.

edit: just to add, I should have the ukulele with me by week's end, 30th March.

ukulelecowboy
03-26-2012, 02:03 AM
Jon,

Gorgeous uke. Sorry for your situation. I'm sure it will brighten quickly as will the sale of this desirable instrument.

All the best,

Mike

kaizersoza
03-26-2012, 02:22 AM
damn thats bad news Jon, i wish i could help in some way man, with your talent you could be playing uke for a living, hope things start looking up for you soon, you deserve all the luck in the world m8

mm stan
03-26-2012, 02:31 AM
Aloha bruddah Jon,
Sorry to hear the rough times you are facing, wish I could help you matey...I know you was waiting and looking
forward to this ukulelel...I hope things get better soon as you deserve it, you're one of the nicest friend I know.
Best wishes bruddah..

Hippie Dribble
03-26-2012, 02:32 AM
hey you guys. don't feel sorry for me please. we make the beds we lie in ourselves, eh. It's cool, really. Just reality. Life. You got no job you can't have expensive instruments when you have a family and bills to pay. It's no problems...funny thing was that my daughter said today for the first time (after I started talking about selling some ukes and stuff) that she couldn't much tell the difference in sound between our $30 ukuleles and my $1000+ ones. That was a good pin prick and a pretty clear statement... he he :o

anyway, stay tuned for more nice ukes coming up on the marketplace too...

mm stan
03-26-2012, 02:41 AM
Oh no...I just hope you never need to sell any of your cherished ukes..darn it..

UK Paulie
03-26-2012, 02:55 AM
hey you guys. don't feel sorry for me please. we make the beds we lie in ourselves, eh. It's cool, really. Just reality. Life. You got no job you can't have expensive instruments when you have a family and bills to pay. It's no problems...funny thing was that my daughter said today for the first time (after I started talking about selling some ukes and stuff) that she couldn't much tell the difference in sound between our $30 ukuleles and my $1000+ ones. That was a good pin prick and a pretty clear statement... he he :o

I don't feel sorry for you Jon and I'll tell you why. I believe everything happens for a reason and often we mere mortals fail to see the bigger picture and you, my friend are entirely too awesome of a bloke for it not to all work out for you in the end.

wmboy
03-26-2012, 04:31 AM
Jon,
The Collings custom is sure to be amazing and may very well be a keeper if your daughter can tell the difference between it and the $30 uke.

My daughter gave her thumbs up for your Collings concert last month. Really open my ears to the Collings sound. Thanks mate.

byjimini
03-26-2012, 04:39 AM
Hmm, that's bad. :( Hopefully everything sorts itself out for you. :)

SuzukHammer
03-26-2012, 04:54 AM
I bought a very similar build to this from Jon and it is ONE HELLUVA UKULELE.

If you have money- buy it. No questions. Buy it.

Jon, Here's an idea - run it past that guy in Thailand .

Tell him he can email me if he needs any vouching for the uke or you.

specialk13
03-26-2012, 05:33 AM
Bummer, that's got to be a great uke coming your way......maybe you could sell something else instead?
I've been in this position in the past and kicked myself repeatedly for the decisions I've made.
Good luck on your situation and I hope that the Collings finds a good home if you aren't able to keep it.

chrimess
03-26-2012, 07:17 AM
Sorry to hear that, Jon- it is only a uke, after all.
Hope the Luna can soften the blow a bit, though.

laundromatt
03-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Bummer. Maybe you can sell off something else instead, since this one is more personal to you (as a custom)?

Hippie Dribble
03-26-2012, 10:13 AM
yes folks, I will be selling off other things as well. However, aside from my music and book collection, ukuleles are the only things I really own of any value. I will be selling my banjo, dulcimer too but ukes are it. And so yes, you're right...there are other things I can sell...UKES!!!! Unfortunately I must sell this one though as it is the most expensive one I own by a considerable margin.

Just had a call from customs. It has arrived and is "awaiting release" (read...my payment of a massive clearance tax...) ha ha

More pics as soon as I can get em. :)

specialk13
03-26-2012, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=chrimess;901383] it is only a uke, after all.

Nicely put, sometimes it's easy to forget that........

Hippie Dribble
03-26-2012, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=chrimess;901383] it is only a uke, after all.

Nicely put, sometimes it's easy to forget that........
you know what, over the last few weeks I've actually spent way more time playing my cheapo ukes. The thing is, I get exactly the same amount of enjoyment out of them and quite frankly, I really can't notice the difference in sound either. My ear just isn't that complex and subtly wired. I appreciate your comments but don't think I'm finding this difficult folks. I'm not at all. It's just life.

It IS only a uke, so true Christian. It's a thing, an inanimate object. A very beautiful sweet sounding one, but an object nonetheless :) I still am praying someone wants to buy it though!!!

Hippie Dribble
03-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Hope the Luna can soften the blow a bit, though.
thanks brother. There is no doubt about that mate. thankyou. :) When you gonna put up your final overview of the contest and all???You know I started one for the 'seventh season' yesterday...check it out mate...and you can enter!!!!!! You're finally released from judging duty!!!! yay!!!!! :p

Smiley
03-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Nice specs on that one Jon. Someone will get a beauty without the wait. Seems your daughter has wisdom beyond her years making you a very fortunate man.

OldePhart
03-26-2012, 01:07 PM

Sorry to hear about the financial difficulties but I'm glad to see you've got the right attitude about it. It's so easy today to measure "success" by what we own when all to often the end of that is just that stuff ends up owning us! For the last couple of years I've been paying over $300 a month to rent three storage rooms and I've not opened two of them in that time!

As for "cheap" ukes vs. custom ones - there is certainly a difference but it's not as great as we tend to believe, for sure. Some of your videos and dr_bekkens videos illustrate that very well. Assuming the uke is set up well so the intonation is on I think more of the difference is in the "feel" of the instrument than the sound, sometimes. For example, I was noticing just the other day that when I play the KoAloha I can actually feel the vibrations in my hands while that doesn't hold true so much with my other ukes.

Good luck with the sale. I'd be tickled to help you out by snapping it up but it's not something I can afford.

John

Hippie Dribble
03-26-2012, 01:22 PM
thanks for the wise words John.

Just want to say also that I'm open to fair discussion re price everybody. Thanks...

mm stan
03-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Aloha Bruddah Eugene,
Once you learn the technique, you'll will enjoy any uke...nothing more to say...LOL and yes family priorities overides even the ukulele by far...Glad you got that right. There will be more oppertunities to buy another ukulele in the future, but you should not sacafrice the precious moments with your family...

Markr1
03-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Eugene if I was in the market for another uke I would buy this from you in a heartbeat. Not just because it's a Collings but because I would be buying it from a great guy. Gotta go now before I talk myself into sending you a PM. Good luck Eugene and wishing the best too you.

WhenDogsSing
03-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Leadbelly played a Stella guitar as did many other lesser fortunate yet talented blues players who couldn't afford higher priced instruments. It's not necessarily the quality or price of the instrument that matters as it is the talent and ability of the player to bring out the music in an instrument, regardless of its value in dollar terms. You sir, have that ability. Don't ever forget that and cherish it as a God-given gift.

Smiley
03-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Leadbelly played a Stella guitar as did many other lesser fortunate yet talented blues players who couldn't afford higher priced instruments. It's not necessarily the quality or price of the instrument that matters as it is the talent and ability of the player to bring out the music in an instrument, regardless of its value in dollar terms. You sir, have that ability. Don't ever forget that and cherish it as a God-given gift.

Dogs you said it all...

Kayak Jim
03-27-2012, 02:39 AM
Your ukes are all out of my league Eugene but I do have to say how much I've enjoyed your singing and playing on all the sound samples. I think you could make an oilcan uke sound good. As my father (a professional photographer for 70 years) used to say "it's not the camera that takes the photograph". Hope your situation turns around and you can get some of these sweet instruments back soon.

rasputinsghost
03-27-2012, 03:45 AM
I agree. I regret buying all the ukes I had before winnowing down to the 4 that I have. 1 custom is plenty I think, if you can afford it. Buyer's remorse is the worst.

Jon I keep seeing your customs/high-end ukes on sale on the marketplace and hope with the final custom Collings will make you happy and end your UAS. :)

glass
03-27-2012, 04:18 AM
I think my wife would kill me if I got it but if I win the Mega Millions tonight, it is estimated at a payout of 259 million(I think it is upto 360 million), I will be sending you a PM!

rasputinsghost
03-27-2012, 04:49 AM
I don't feel sorry for you Jon and I'll tell you why. I believe everything happens for a reason and often we mere mortals fail to see the bigger picture and you, my friend are entirely too awesome of a bloke for it not to all work out for you in the end.

That's a nice sentiment but sometimes the 'bigger picture' involves horrendously awful things happening to innocent people for no reason at all.

guitharsis
03-27-2012, 05:00 AM
Jon - it may have been easier to sell before it was shipped to you - had it shipped right from Artisan. May be difficult to let go once you receive it . . .

mds725
03-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Jon,

Sorry to hear about the financial difficulties but I'm glad to see you've got the right attitude about it. It's so easy today to measure "success" by what we own when all to often the end of that is just that stuff ends up owning us!

Yeah, what John and others have said. I can tell from each of your videos how much pleasure making music brings to you, so I'm relieved to know that you get as much joy from playing your less expensive ukes as you do from playing your expensive ones. Being a new Mya-Moe owner, I find myself a little heartbroken to see you have to part with your gorgeous MM sycamore, but I also know that choosing between a hanging onto a beloved ukulele and being able to take care of your beloved family is a no-brainer. I hope things improve for you quickly, and I hope your uke sales are quick and relatively painless.

Please remind me how to buy your ukulele CDs. I'd like to get a whole bunch of them as gifts for friends.

Mark

philpot
03-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Jon, I will say if I had the money I would snap this up in a heartbeat. I am sorry that you have to sell it so soon. Your videos always add a little bit of brightness to my day, and I quite enjoy listening to you make music. I'll second mds and ask where I could purchase a CD? Good luck with the sale.

Ernie
03-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Let me add my name to the chorus of people who would buy this if I could afford it. Beautiful instrument!
And while I'm here- I thoroughly enjoy your videos! You've got that special something in your playing... I can only hope to achieve that one of these days!

Hippie Dribble
03-29-2012, 01:25 AM
thankyou everyone for your kind words, it means a lot to me.

Basically I was force to resign from my job for reasons of poor physical health, primarily, and some associated mental health issues. I am devastated as I have loved my job for a number of years. I plan to continue with some occasional music therapy in the home on an occasional basis and possibly to keep helping out with the choir in whatever capacity. but for now I don't yet qualify for a disability pension though this may change soon, and without income these sales are just inevitable unfortunately. I am still able to keep a couple of nice ukes though and the thought of not playing uke is unthinkable. i dare say i will continue to play always while there is breath in my lungs!!! But anyway, that is just said by way of explanation. I am compulsive by nature but this time has been coming for some time and it's just the way it is. Like in Ecclesiastes..there is a time for everything...to buy...and to sell...he he..now is a time for selling and for taking stock of a number of things. Blessings to you all, and thankyou.

the uke is sold everyone, thanks UU.