Anyone use this book for beginners?

BasicUke

Reaction score
I have a son who will be 7 next month. I am getting him his own uke (so he'll keep is grubby little mitts off mine! ;) ) and I want to get him a book as well.

Anyone try the Easy Songs for Ukulele book? It's published by Hal Leonard and written by Lil' Rev. How "Easy" is it? Are the arrangements good?

00695904.gif

I haven't yet found a beginner instruction book to use with him, so if anyone has a favorite, I am open for recommendations on that, too!

Thanks a lot!

Jim

I have that book and love it! I'm such a noob that I'm sure your 7-year-old can SHRED IT compared to me, and I have found it very playable. A lot of dumbed-down Beatles songs and some random stuff like We Shall Overcome and Tom Dooley. Chords and tabs too. I think the arrangements are good.

That book is great, and I suggest also you get this book Easy Chord Song Book for kids. The earlier he gets chords down, the better. That's how I started (with chords) years ago. Another good one to encourage him is a Disney Uke book, songs he may know and a CD to play along. As he progresses, this will be very fun and believe me, kids learn FAST.

I have that book and love it! I'm such a noob that I'm sure your 7-year-old can SHRED IT compared to me, and I have found it very playable. A lot of dumbed-down Beatles songs and some random stuff like We Shall Overcome and Tom Dooley. Chords and tabs too. I think the arrangements are good.

Sweet! Thanks!

I find if I don't know a song it's very hard to try and play it.

Me too. And the worst part is I am not playing it for me, I am trying to teach it to my son. Hard to do when you don't know it yourself. Once he has more experience, we'll pick up something like Uke'n Play and have fun learning stuff we've not heard of. Great learning experience!

For right now, I'd like to stick with something a little more familiar!

I have that book and like it a lot. It is very simple, you can strum chords or play the melody. I have used it to help me learn to read music since the notation is simple...

I don't have a single uke book yet but this one will probably be my first purchase. Speaking of which, does anyone know of a place to get a poster of ukulele chords? The only one I've found is a mini-poster. I'd rather have a full sizes regular poster so that I can frame it.

I have a son who will be 7 next month. I am getting him his own uke (so he'll keep is grubby little mitts off mine! ;) ) and I want to get him a book as well.

Anyone try the Easy Songs for Ukulele book? It's published by Hal Leonard and written by Lil' Rev. How "Easy" is it? Are the arrangements good?

View attachment 35539

I haven't yet found a beginner instruction book to use with him, so if anyone has a favorite, I am open for recommendations on that, too!

Thanks a lot!

Jim

Top Bottom