Got my Compass Rose over the weekend

byjimini

Reaction score
I guess this is my 'dream uke', as I first saw a walnut one a few months after I started playing, and maple was the wood of the uke my parents bought me, that I started playing out and about with.

IMG_1887.jpg IMG_1886.jpg IMG_1885.jpg IMG_1884.jpg IMG_1883.jpg

It's absolutely gorgeous, and I've used it at a gig on Saturday night and at a folk night yesterday, lots of great comments about it. It's definitely got a different sound, much more bass-orientated than you'd normally associate with the uke. Since I've had my 8-String Kamaka I've appreciated the extra bass strings, so the 'Rose is a welcome addition.

The problem? I ordered it with a pickup, which was never fitted. The customs form even says "ukulele with pickup" on it, so a bit miffed about why it never got fitted. I'm sure they'll sort it out for me though, they've been excellent from the start.

Last edited:
Wow, that's hot! Congrats on the new baby.

Fantasic uke, even without the pick-up. The flame maple looks great with the dark binding and subtle rope purfling.

Congratulations. Looking forward to a sound sample soon.

Byjiimii!!!! Man that is the prettiest Compass Rose I've ever seen and one of the prettiest ukes I've ever seen fullstop. Don't know what else to say, but congratulations mate. :)

Byjiimii!!!! Man that is the prettiest Compass Rose I've ever seen and one of the prettiest ukes I've ever seen fullstop. Don't know what else to say, but congratulations mate. :)
Congrats byjimini,
wow it looks awesome...Congratulations and a fine ukulele family and selection you got there...thank you for sharing...happy strummings...

@Eugene...I want that too...ha ha easy now...LOL nah I am happy with Oscar Schmidts and Rogue...seems to me when you get the technique down, any uke can be fun...eh

Last edited:
::jealous:: :drool:

wow that uke looks nice!!!i have a compass rose on order right now...mine is all koa.... have fun with it!!! the headstock is so nice i asked for peghed turners to show it off more...

Last edited:
Beautiful!! Outrageous wood. I would be interested in your impression of the soundport. I'm thinking about that feature for my next uke, but wonder if it is something that really adds to the player's enjoyment..

That is a very pretty uke, byjimini. I like everything that you chose for it. I bet it sounds great. But I don't understand the oversight of the pickup. This is the second recent thread citing a mix up in one of their custom orders.

Byjimini, She's a real beauty!! I'm a sucker for those flame maple ukes and yours is a fine example. I like the binding a lot too.
Congrats, and I'm sure the pickup issue will be handled. For now, just consider this your "unplugged" phase.... Hey, it worked for Clapton!

Cheers, Dean

Sweet. What do you think--does that "floating" fretboard off the soundboard make a difference?

Hehe, thanks everyone. :) I took it to another open mic last night, there weren't very many of us there so I did 10 songs, 2 at a time, and then another 2 at the end with everyone else. It's really coming along nicely, kind of strange playing with just 4 strings again after 3 month with the 8-string.

That is a very pretty uke, byjimini. I like everything that you chose for it. I bet it sounds great. But I don't understand the oversight of the pickup. This is the second recent thread citing a mix up in one of their custom orders.

Yeah, me neither. But they were very quick to offer a couple of solutions, I'll email them back in the morning. Highly professional throughout.

SCOTT S said:
Beautiful!! Outrageous wood. I would be interested in your impression of the soundport. I'm thinking about that feature for my next uke, but wonder if it is something that really adds to the player's enjoyment..

I wasn't keen on the soundport when I heard it was a standard feature, but tbh you don't notice it that much, and you do notice the sound more. I could take it or leave it though, it's not essential.

Sweet. What do you think--does that "floating" fretboard off the soundboard make a difference?

I think so, yeah. It certainly makes sense, that the majority of the top can now vibrate, and people were saying how they could hear it at the back of a big room when I was playing.

I think so, yeah. It certainly makes sense, that the majority of the top can now vibrate, and people were saying how they could hear it at the back of a big room when I was playing.

I agree, it does make sense. Most ukes emphasize the lovely tonewoods, then bolt a rosewood fretboard directly to the soundboard for 5-6 frets. Sheesh

Top Bottom