New Ukulele Help

bsheaffer65

Reaction score
Hey every one, I got a question. I've been playing ukulele for about a year now and I'd like to get a better one but I do not have a lot of money and I was aondering if anyone had a reconmendation to a good ukulele for a good price as well. Right now I have a Hilo soprano and I'd like to upgrade to somethhing a little better, also I am in college so most of money goes there and i would prefer it to not cost a ton of money. Thanks for all of your help!

The $50-150 range contains many perfectly playable ukes, most of which will be a step or two up from a Hilo.

Check out MGM's store; even the cheap ukes he sells are professionally set up with quality strings so you can't go wrong. Kala (and its sub-brand, Makala) make good ukes for the price.

I really dig the Ohana's a lot for the money. You can get an all solid mahogany soprano for around $160. They come with factory supplied high quality Aquila strings, and I've found them to have excellent playability and lots of resonance.

This one comes with a free case, although there's a $19 shipping charge:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ohana-SOPRANO-s...16224QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

If you get an Ohana, get the satin finish rather than the glossy - the satin instruments seem to have more resonance and volume in my experience.

Whatever uke you get, have lots o fun with it!

Hey every one, I got a question. I've been playing ukulele for about a year now and I'd like to get a better one but I do not have a lot of money and I was aondering if anyone had a reconmendation to a good ukulele for a good price as well. Right now I have a Hilo soprano and I'd like to upgrade to somethhing a little better, also I am in college so most of money goes there and i would prefer it to not cost a ton of money. Thanks for all of your help!
As stated, call or email MGM, he offers a variety of instruments in different price ranges.

Last edited:
Try Mele Ukulele. Great ukes for an extremely resonable rate. MGM is great for variety. Try to upgrade to a solid wood uke if you can.

I have a page of reviews on mid-priced ukes in the $200-$500 price range. For me, that's a serious investment without going overboard, and I can usually build up my Paypal reserves relatively easily and quickly to afford one in that range.

Kala, Lanikai, Ohana, Fluke and Pono are all good for the money.

Thanks everyone, I would like to spend somewhere in the $200.00 range and hopefully get a solid wood uke. Also, I'm a little timid to buy things like an instrument on the internet because I like to play it and stuff to make sure I like everything about it, and being in PA I realize that I may not have much of a choice. But anyway, thanks for all of the suggestions!

Top Bottom