Do some ukes dislike low G?

heymak

Reaction score
I've been putting different low G sting sets on a lanikai SC trying to find the right sound. I've come to the conclusion that this uke just doesn't like to sing that way. Anyone else have a similar experience. Seriously does the resonance of the body of a concert prefer high G?

Seriously does the resonance of the body of a concert prefer high G?

Yes.

If you want to play a concert with that low note, best to amplify it. Then you can compensate for the acoustic deficiency.

I think low G success depends on the Uke, and the strings chosen. It is a little harder to have it work on a concert or soprano length scale. Some wood tones work better with the low G too. I really have liked my Kala Mango Tenor with the low G on it. Sometimes you have to go for a wound low G to get good sustain on some ukes, but on my mango tenor, I was able to use all non-wound strings.

–Lori

I think low G works best on tenor.

Lori mentioned tone woods. Come to think of it, out of my five tenors I've tried low G on all but one. But the two I've kept it on both have solid cedar tops. I'd say cedar has a bit of a darker, richer tone that works well with low G (at least as compared to spruce). :)

I have had a low G on one concert scale that worked,
otherwise I stick to low G on Tenor only. On two or three
sopranos I have heard that tried it,it just does not work!

My lanikai is a laminate. It sounded awful in high G so I tried aquila low gs. It sounds great now. Oh by the way it is a concert.

I'd have to say yes. In fact, to my ear at least I'd say most ukes dislike low-G. I thought I just didn't like low-G until I stumbled across a used Mainland cutaway mahogany tenor that came to me strung with low-G Aquilas - it's the only one of my ukes that I've really liked Aquilas on and the only low-G I've liked. I tried low-G on Mainland mango and red cedar tenors and didn't care for it (to be fair the red cedar wasn't bad strung low G but just sounded way too guitarish).

John

I tried every "hardness" of the Worth unwound low-g's on my Kanile'a concert and they all sounded dull with bad intonation.

So, I'd have to agree with others here, low-g's sound best on tenors.

For what it's worth, my concert Greg Bennett, (not expensive, 6 yrs old but very nice for the price) sounded pretty poor with a low G when I tried it. Couldn't get back to high G quick enough.

Top Bottom