In my earlier days I tried some wierd stuff...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
This still appears on Dusty strings website tho they haven't had a uke from me for 3 years. Uke on the far left of the image is my Sharpuke...

Harpuke.jpg

I did do some experimental stuff before I saw the light :eek:

I did do some experimental stuff before I saw the light :eek:
If you had mentioned this earlier, people would have understood earlier why you have chosen the straight road now :eek:
Was that thing on the left inspired by... ah, what's that maker's name again. There that weird ukulele with a huge bowlike thing for a neck. Anyway, did you make yours inspired on that or were you pioneering the "never going to find a case for that one" models?

At least we now know where you are coming from :D

This still appears on Dusty strings website tho they haven't had a uke from me for 3 years.

I had to bump this because I was in the shop today and they (still?) have a beautiful dreaduke of yours. Lovely koa with rope binding, I think.

I'd love to see one of Pete's Ukes in person. Any I've heard in clips absolutely define what my mind tells me is "the" sound. I don't know if I'd have the guts to pick it up though. I seem to be able to ding them up just looking at them.

It's nice of you to say but I don't think it could be mine with rope binding - the only instruments that had this treatment were my Weissenborns...

The isntrument on the left was inspired by my own guitar which looks like it - I'll do a video for you and post it on YouTube...

Where is this shop located sweets?

Fremont Neighborhood, Seattle, WA. The self-proclaimed "center of the universe".

It's nice of you to say but I don't think it could be mine with rope binding - the only instruments that had this treatment were my Weissenborns...

The isntrument on the left was inspired by my own guitar which looks like it - I'll do a video for you and post it on YouTube...

Maybe I'm wrong about the binding, but definitely had a dreadnought shape and a howlett label. I'll go back and take a pic.

This still appears on Dusty strings website tho they haven't had a uke from me for 3 years. Uke on the far left of the image is my Sharpuke...

Hey Pete, I was in Seattle over the weekend and cruised by Dusty Strings for fun one afternoon. They had one of your UK Ukes in stock, I didn't check from which year though or if it was new or used. It was a fabulous concert model I believe with the dreadnought shape. Some very nice koa. Flawless construction. I really enjoyed playing this uke. Sounded just wonderful. :D

Best regards,

David

I may have seen it as well, being very nicely made I didn't pick it up for fear of hurting it. They have a nice selection, almost like Hawaii Music Supply where we get our UAS fix. Dusty Strings has some amazing instruments, like that yummy koa guitar in the used section.

Edit: Did I just use "yummy" as an adjective? My sincere apologies to all.

Okay, I was was having lunch nearby and ran in to snap a couple pics (including Pete's cool label):

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

As you can see, I was wrong about the rope.

That is a lovely Big Island koa concert Ditson shape. I have loads of this particular tree and it makes great ukes - in my recent video I am using a uke built from the same board as this one. Thanks for showing.

Nice photos, Sweets. That's the one I test drove! A really fine uke. :D

Top Bottom