New uke! (Martin C1K)

GX9901

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've bought a real ukulele (the Epiphone Les Paul doesn't really count), but it's always difficult to go on a trip to Hawaii and not leave with one. I've actually been UAS-free for a while now, and I really didn't plan on buying a uke during this trip, but I was more or less shocked into buying this Martin C1K. Most of my initial thoughts on this uke is in this blog post if you've got time to read, but the short version is that this is simply a superior sounding uke with some pretty nice koa to boot.

Having played it back to back with my Collings UC-1 and Mya-Moe concert tradition, I wouldn't hesitate to say that it beats them both. (which kind of sucks for me, since I paid a lot more for those ukes) In fact, when I played the C1K last night immediately after playing the same thing on the Collings UC-1, my wife commented (without prompt) that the second uke (Martin) sounded really good. And she couldn't care less about my ukes...

Who knew I'd pick up a uke made in Mexico of all places while visiting Oahu???

I will probably have some videos or sound files later, but here are some pictures:
DSC04538.JPG

DSC04539.JPG

DSC04545.JPG

DSC04553.JPG

George, that's a beauty with the single board top and back. Definitely prettier than some standard K-brand ukes. Can't wait to hear a comparison with some of your other ukes.

Thanks for the info.

That's a sweet looking Martin. I, personally, refuse to buy anything that supports the drug cartels--which is everything from Mexico--until they stop beheading Americans and hanging them off highway overpasses like bags of Alpo.

But, that said, it sure is a good looking ukulele.

LOL Kidding, man It's cool.

PS I subscribe to your Blog on my feeder/

Last edited:
Congrats on yet another beautiful uke! Looking forward to the sound sample.

That's a sweet looking Martin. I, personally, refuse to buy anything that supports the drug cartels--which is everything from Mexico--until they stop beheading Americans and hanging them off highway overpasses like bags of Alpo.

Whoa, I guess I need to sell the uke then. Too bad the resale value is probably pretty bad on this one. LOL!

Thanks for reading my ghetto blog, BTW.

Last edited:
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, my friend, and this might be the most generalizing statement I have seen in a while.
I work with our Mexican friends on a daily basis and they are hardworking individuals who value humanity and consider their domestic issue the single most troubling aspect of their communal lives.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, my friend, and this might be the most generalizing statement I have seen in a while.
I work with our Mexican friends on a daily basis and they are hardworking individuals who value humanity and consider their domestic issue the single most troubling aspect of their communal lives.

My apologies for continuing the joke with coolkayaker1 (I've edited my last post). My only intent with this thread and blog post is to put some info on the Martin C1K out there. Hopefully if there are more comments on this thread it's about the uke only.

People need to lighten up. There's only so much that can be said about the ukulele. It's a Mexican-made ukulele without a soundfile but with pretty photos. (there, those are all facts about this ukulele)

There are two things we should avoid at all costs on a ukulele forum, besides banjos and guitars... POLITICS AND RELIGION. Jeez guys, take it to the PMs.

I'm happy to hear some good words about the new Martins. I've been considering the T1K since I first heard about them. You may have pushed me over the edge here...

I got to noodle with this one and the US made Mahogany at the NAMM show this year. I thought the Mexican uke was far superior and I really enjoyed my limited time with it. Glad to hear you got one and are enjoying it!!

There is no question about it. These new Mexican Martins are good. They sound great and they look ... OK. I was impressed.

I got to noodle with this one and the US made Mahogany at the NAMM show this year. I thought the Mexican uke was far superior and I really enjoyed my limited time with it. Glad to hear you got one and are enjoying it!!

That matches up with my experience playing the 1K and style 2 at Ukulele Pua Pua. Kind of strange, since the style 2 costs twice as much.

Congrats on your new uke George!!! Are you really saying that this uke sounds better than the Collings and Mya Moe??!! Woahhh....I can understand how mad you can be since I'm sure the 2 other cost more are and kind of have good reputation in the uke owrld (I'm more talking for the Mya-Moe here).

Congratulations! I don't care where it came from, it's lovely.
Politics and religion? Yech. I hope we can keep those out of here.
I'm ALL for seperation of ukes and church! (Even though I've played one there)
Seriously, if anyone wants to banter on P&R, see me on facebook... I get real political there, that's the place for it. I'm HERE to learn about ukes!

Congrats on your new uke George!!! Are you really saying that this uke sounds better than the Collings and Mya Moe??!! Woahhh....I can understand how mad you can be since I'm sure the 2 other cost more are and kind of have good reputation in the uke owrld (I'm more talking for the Mya-Moe here).

Yeah, it really does have more clarity than the Mya-Moe and more power than both. I'm going to try to do some sort of a video comparison or review soon to see if I can capture that. It's pretty crazy.

I really wish they made this in a soprano. I already have a decent solid wood concert and can't justify another one...yet.

Nothing wrong with MIM, in general. For years the MIM Fender standard electric guitars have had fretwork, finish, and overall workmanship as good or better than the "American Standard" models that cost three times the price. No reason to assume that Martin can't find and train people at least as well as Fender does.

Yeah, hardware and electronics tend to be a bit better on the USA models but all that stuff is replaceable in 30 minutes - whereas when you get a bridge that's been mounted 3/16" off center (1995 AmStd Strat I once worked on) that's a little harder to fix! Don't even ask me how they got the bridge that far off considering that the tremelo cavities are routed on CNC machines and this bridge was obviously jammed against one end of the cavity - how can you NOT notice that when it's going down the assembly line?!

As for the cartels - I really feel sorry for the people down there. The cartels are no more representative of the Mexican people than inner-city gangs are representative of the American people. In fact, the only significant difference between the cartels and our own inner-city gangs is that our police forces are less corrupt and, in most cities, people can still own the means to protect themselves.

Living down here (and with family members further south and closer to the action) I keep a pretty close eye on the "border issues" and one thing you'll notice is that relatively little of that violence has spilled over the border into the US, and especially into Texas. Many affluent Mexicans who live and work near the border are moving their families into Texas and crossing the border every morning to go to work on the Mexican side. They realize that their families are safer on this side of the border than they are on the other - primarily because our law enforcement agencies are less corrupt and we tend to shoot back at bad guys. :)

John

Top Bottom