Kevin Rone's Fast Start Fingerstyle--I got a copy

Gwynedd

Reaction score
I like fingerstyle playing and am having fun with Mark Kailana Nelson's excellent book but I wanted a bit more.

Kevin Rones wrote a really good text on how to play fingerstyle, with lots of info on various styles of playing (blues, Celtic, classical just to name a few), info on fingering, and much more.

I read the book but I have to say, it's packed with info and I was surprised at how wide-ranging it is. Not perfect but the exercises that look easy? THEY are NOT. And plenty of them higher on the frets, too. Only the CD is not great--bad volume, and the playing was not so stellar. Just the uke, no accompaniment so it's a bit bland to listen to as you play, but helpful nonetheless. The book deserved better, but the book is very worthwhile for us n00bs.

So if you were to pick one book of the two, Mark's or Kevin's, which would it be?

Sorry to bring in a third option: Marks uke buke with open tuning Hawaiian stuff is so much fun.

To answer: for fingerstyle, I'd go with Mark's book, but if you know you want Hawaiian Slack Key or just Hawaiian style music, the Uke Buke. However, if you are puzzled about what finger to use and are interested in Fingerstyle AND blues, plus want to check out all manner of styles even classical, Kevin's Fingerstyle book is rather good. I suppose you have to decide what you want to play, if you aren't so into Hawaiian, Kev's book is very good. I just don't like the CD.

Thanks for giving a review of another book =) I have Mark's book and have just started playing through it. But it's good to know what other resources are out there!

fingerpicking

I love Mark's fingerpicking book and have been working with it for four years. So, I'm also glad to hear about another book. Thanks, I'll get it.

One problem with Mark's slack key uke book is that it doesn't come with a cd and the online versions of the songs seem to not be played on a uke but rather on some synthetic piano. I hope I'm wrong. Please correct me if so.

Last edited:
i picked up Kevins book when i started a few months back and i agree with the OP on all accounts. I do like it and its very useful-especially if you are studying by yourself.

here is another book/CD i picked up and love it(high G), the neat thing is the CD plays each song normal speed, then very slow. the book offers some tidbits on each song-and, you can see each song played on the authors website. really fun, neat fingerstyle playing:
http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Fingerstyle-Studies-Ukulele-Book/dp/078668397X/ref=pd_sim_b_2
here is Robs website so you can see all the songs played:
http://robmackillop.net/ukulele/

I have his celtic book/cd also and find it very well done also.

d

I had two of the books mentioned already in my Amazon wishlist, but now I've added all the others. My extended family will have a lot of ideas for my Christmas presents. Hope I can wait that long. Thanks, y'all, for the good information.

Top Bottom