PDA

View Full Version : Brittni Paiva signs with Kamaka

wickedwahine11
03-28-2012, 12:25 PM
According to her twitter page (http://twitter.com/#!/brittnipaiva) uke artist Brittni Paiva is now representing Kamaka -- I swear I can only remember her ever playing KoAloha ukes, I guess I need to rewatch her DVD but I don't ever remember seeing her with a Kamaka before, unlike Taimane Gardner where I think I've seen her with different uke brands.

I'm surprised, that is kind of like a star athlete switching from Nike gear to Adidas (or Rawlings baseball gloves to Wilson since Opening Day is almost upon us).

So now Kamaka has Jake and Brittni, as well as Kalei Gamiao and Bryan Tolentino. KoAloha still has Herb Ohta Jr., Victoria Vox, Raiatea Helm and Daniel Ho. And of course Aldrine, Kenneth Makuakane and Stephen Espaniola are with Kanilea. I don't know why I always find weird minutiae like that interesting, I guess I always wonder if it is a question of what they actually prefer or (in the case of some artists/athletes) just who they happen to sign with.

Gwynedd
03-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Maybe Kamaka wants to be the Steinway of ukuleles. So many of the pianists (classical) represent Steinway. My cousin, however, represented Baldwin, what a rebel, even though his teacher was Horowitz.

I play Yamaha, no family loyalty. Even though my cuzz is responsible for my very existence. He was late to pick up my mom at the trainstation and my dad went instead. Instant sparks and love at first sight.

mm stan
03-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Wow that is amazing...I thought she was a Koaloha all the way....well things change eh.. wonder what they get aside a free custom ukulele?? hmm

mds725
03-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Wow, Staci, that's big news to me too. I remember when I was on the KoAloha tour last April how proud everyone there was that Brittni played KoAloha instruments. In fact, one of the instruments on display on the seconds wall was a Brittni custom KoAloha that was in for repair. I wonder if she wanted something in ukulele design that KoAloha was resistant to doing, whether it came down to which company provided the best sponsorship opportunities, or whether she's just come to prefer the acoustics of Kamakas over KoAlohas (although I would think that wouldn't matter so much with amplified ukuleles). I'm interested to see what sort of custom ukulele Kamaka makes for her.

Kanaka916
03-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Brittni has played a KoAloha for the longest time. I guess Kamaka must be doing something right to attract name players . . .

itsme
03-28-2012, 01:19 PM
I know endorsements can mean big bucks for celebrities, but am I the only one who couldn't care less about them? In fact, I'm kind of the opposite. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing Britney Spears' perfume or a Kardashian swimsuit.

Then there are the ones that would cause me to boycott a company completely, like Nike because of Michael Vick.

janeray1940
03-28-2012, 01:37 PM
am I the only one who couldn't care less about them?

Nah, you're not the only one. I wouldn't play a specific brand of ukulele just because a celebrity was associated with it.

But this is interesting news to me as well, because I always associated Brittni with Koaloha, and I do wonder why the switch.

Skitzic
03-28-2012, 01:39 PM
I'm with itsme here. I don't particularly care.

Unless of course someone wants to sponsor me. Then I'm all about it! :D

I do wonder about the dynamics when someone switches sponsors though. The why behind the split. Ukulele drama!

Plainsong
03-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Then there are the ones that would cause me to boycott a company completely, like Nike because of Michael Vick.

Here here! I think it's interesting because of the story behind it. It's one thing to be known to have another brand in your otherwise sponsored arsenal, it's another to switch contracts entirely. Gotta wonder what that story is, but contracts as they are, it will never be for us regular folk to know.

Nuprin
03-28-2012, 02:34 PM
I remember when I was on the KoAloha tour last April how proud everyone there was that Brittni played KoAloha instruments. In fact, one of the instruments on display on the seconds wall was a Brittni custom KoAloha that was in for repair.

I also went on the KoAloha tour last April and saw her uke there. Got a nice close up picture of it. Small world!

chrimess
03-28-2012, 03:24 PM
We don't know the background-I will still be loyal to Koaloha and a fan of Brittni

808boy
03-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Aloha Staci,
As interesting as it is, it all comes down to Dollars and Sense. Makes sense to go where the money is. Look at when Toyota entered Nascar and Nhra Funny Car ranks. A lot of top name teams switched from American Brands. Follow the money.
Very few people endorse a product because they Believe in it, loyalty stops when the buck stops.
In any case, good for Brittni and good for Kamaka.
Just my opinion,.......................BO................. .....

erivel
03-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Wow, that Koaloha always seemed like an extension of her arm to me; it was a part of her. Curious if there will be a custom sig Kamaka in the works.

Tigeralum2001
03-28-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm sure she has some sort of exclusivity agreement... I don't mind 2nd hand KoAlohas...

Pondoro
03-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Yes but Lanikai still has me! I play my Pono and my Ohana at home but when I tour I proudly take my Lanikai LU-12, right in my suitcase, without a case for the uke. Of course no one pays to watch me play...

Nickie
03-28-2012, 04:46 PM
She's a woman. It's her perogative to change her mind. That's enough for me.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
03-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Brittni makes very careful career choices. You can bet this one was carefully considered.

vanflynn
03-28-2012, 05:27 PM
. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing Britney Spears' perfume or a Kardashian swimsuit.

Believe me that it definintly a place you don't want me!

I wish Brittni all the best and an looking forward to her new album coming out any day now that Tom Scott helped put together. Do they still call they albums? I'm old

coolkayaker1
03-28-2012, 05:30 PM
KoAloha still has Taimane Gardner. She's better anyhow.

GX9901
03-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Brittni is probably jealous of the sweet Kamaka slotted headstock customs Jake and Kalei got. It appears that endorsing for Kamaka is the only way to get a slotted headstock Kamaka. She's got it figured out! :cool:

DaveY
03-28-2012, 06:01 PM
uh . . . am I the only one here who finds the most interesting part of this thread Gwynedd's genesis story?

GVlog
03-28-2012, 07:45 PM
So how soon before the KoAlohas disappear from her website photos and her Twitter avatar?

Gillian
03-28-2012, 09:53 PM
I don't get the endorsing thing either. Is James Hill spoken for? I thought he was a G-string guy, but he was playing a 'lowly' Kala acacia tenor (just like mine!) at this years NAMM.:)

I'll be interested to see what the Brittni Kamaka will look like, however. Can't get enough of uke eye candy!

Skrik
03-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Signing endorsees? *Yawn* I bet all the big name factories are as good as each other.

Gwynedd
03-29-2012, 12:54 AM
I think Kamaka is smart to corner the reputation that they are the "Steinways" of ukuleles. If they get that rep, they can charge a premium for their instruments. But I have not had the privilege of playing one so I personally don't know that they are actually miles better than other top makes.

For pianos, I can say, I have played everything from a Boesendorfer to a old pre-60's Steinways, new Steinways, Yamaha 9 ft concert grands, Baldwins, Bechsteins, and Steinwegs (German relative) and I ended up liking Steinway and Yamaha but since my hearing is not as acute for high tones, ended up with a Yamaha (and the price differential is astonishing.) Steinway still has the top rep for pianists, though Yamaha has made significant inroads and seems to have become tops in the non classical (jazz) world. The prices for Steinways reflect the cache.

Likewise for ukes, Kamaka may be the best, but other top makes may suit a particular artist more than others. However, unlike pianos, which have a standard technology per the maker though individual models vary subtly but definitely for the player, a uke can be customized almost infinitely even for a single manufacturer. So if some great uke player doesn't like one Kamaka, they can come up with a custom one that will meet his or her requirements. That is far more difficult with a piano, though there are adjustments that can be made. However, pianos seem to be "born" that way more than ukes are. More parts, complexity.

rasputinsghost
03-29-2012, 03:55 AM
Kamakas are nice but I don't think any reasonable person would say that they outstrip comparable K brands to the extent that they're the 'Steinways' of ukes. They have the history, but the difference in quality doesn't merit the claim.

MGM
03-29-2012, 04:25 AM
You guys are funny....your guesses as to why are in no way helping and can only causes frictions later on between friendly but competitive ukulele companies...All i can say is that no matter what ukulele company sponsors an artist it is to help further each companies name recognition....why and who they choose is often a mystery and probably will remain so

molokinirum
03-29-2012, 06:30 AM
...uke artist Brittni Paiva is now representing Kamaka -- I swear I can only remember her ever playing KoAloha ukes....

Oh the humanity!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Welcome to the family Brittni!!!! :D

joejeweler
03-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Tomato......Tomata,.........KoAloha,.......Kamaka. A uke's a uke, right??? (kidding :D)

Simple math folks. I suspect her contract was up,.....and the new offer was better than the previous one. Brittni Paiva is making a career with the ukulele,.....so money does matter.

Personally,.......i am never moved to purchase ANYTHING just because someone i respect endorces it. If it has features i need or want that are not available elsewhere,.....that's the only reason i'll buy.

That's the rational part of me speaking. But if one of Jake's Kamaka Tenors appears at a bargain price,.....it would not hang around long if i can help it.

.......it has the "features" i want!!! :rotfl:

Marketing endorsements do sell product,.....proven fact and why the companies are willing to give up the green. Personally,.....i wish it didn't work,....as most anything would be a fair amount cheaper to buy. But many are moved to buy simply because of an artist endorsment. If an artist chooses a product, and has the financial ability to buy most anything,......that makes more of an impression with me than a paid endorsement.

bazmaz
03-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Kamaka frustrate me...

I've played one, it was beautiful. I'm in the UK, so someone tell me why they won't allow a UK dealer to sell them (closest registered dealer is in Germany)

For that reason, i find their tactics odd. They are happy to concentrate on getting artists "bagged" but I know dozens of people this side of Atlantic who would buy a Kamaka if they could only walk into a UK store and pick one up.

SUS stock Kanile'a and Koaloha in UK but can't get Kamaka stock.

Hey, Kamaka - spend a little less time buying ambassadors, and a little more time realising the globe is a big place and you have buyers on my shores ready and waiting, wanting to avoid the trials of international shipping...

Rant over!

mds725
03-29-2012, 01:33 PM
......I'm in the UK, so someone tell me why they won't allow a UK dealer to sell them (closest registered dealer is in Germany) .....

Has anyone tried contacting Kamaka to ask why there is no Kamaka dealer in the UK? It's an interesting question.

What we really need is a publication (online or brick and mortar) that operates for the ukulele community like Variety (or even US or People) operates for the entertainment community. Enquiring minds want to know!

Gwynedd
03-29-2012, 01:33 PM
All the same, MGM, I'd like to be a fly on the wall during a marketing meeting prior to signing a "name." And hear where they think they are going with it. I would imagine most "names" get something unique made for them; same with flutists. They spec out something the public won't be buying as a standard model. At that point, it's the luthiers who are the key factor, not the name so much even if it begins with K. My opinion, feel free to say "hogwash!"

kamaka_4_life
03-29-2012, 10:27 PM
I was told by some friends today, that they also saw her at Kanile'a recently idk if she was just taking a tour, but I heard she decided to end her contract with Ko'Aloha and wanted to branch out ;) hope she made the right choice!!!

Ryan<3Ukes
03-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Signing endorsees? *Yawn* I bet all the big name factories are as good as each other.

I feel like that's like saying that every ukulele is the same. Anyways, I've heard that Jake and Kalei actually bought their ukuleles from Kamaka. I've seen videos with Jake and I've seen him with like 3 different ukuleles. Since they don't make customs anymore they might make an exception for Brittni or they can use the prouction model or make a special order. It would be nice to see a custom Brittni Paiva Kamaka though. I didn't think her Koaloha tenor was that pretty.

Skrik
03-29-2012, 11:37 PM
I feel like that's like saying that every ukulele is the same.

Not really. Identical quality doesn't mean identical instruments.

Bill1
03-30-2012, 01:14 AM
I live in Perth, 3000km from Melbourne and a bit more from Sydney. Sydney and Melbourne are where most of the distributors of musical instruments in Australia live, that is 2000km more further than Berlin to London. I have little sympathy for anyone in Europe who can't cope with a single distributor somewhere in Europe, its all the same place from here.
Luckily we have Zenith Music in Perth which I think is the Australian distributor for Kamaka ukes in Australia.
I hope to see Brittni have a long and successful career no matter which uke she plays.

Drew Bear
03-30-2012, 06:39 AM
Isn't the KoAloha with an inlay of her name on the fretboard relatively new? Most of the YouTube vids of her in 2011 and earlier show her playing a uke with the crown bridge and no fretboard inlay. As MGM said, it's all speculation, but you do wonder what happened. It'd be the same if Jake decided he preferred his old Kamaka or James Hill stopped using the DaSilva as his primary uke.

I know ukes are a bigger business now than they were a few years ago, but I can't imagine that any of these endorsement contracts are significantly different enough that players of this caliber would switch based on monetary considerations. The instrument itself and the relationship with the uke maker/luthier are likely the primary reasons for their choice.

Pippin
03-30-2012, 08:24 AM
I know endorsements can mean big bucks for celebrities, but am I the only one who couldn't care less about them? In fact, I'm kind of the opposite. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing Britney Spears' perfume or a Kardashian swimsuit.

When last I had any dialog with Kamaka, they indicated that all the artists who play their instruments paid for them themselves. None were given in an endorsement deal. Jake's signature model is another thing altogether, though, and I would expect him to have one of his own on that model.

philpot
03-30-2012, 10:05 AM
I would think calling Kamaka the Steinway of ukuleles is a perfectly accurate assessment. There are quite a few parallels. Some consider them the best in the world, and some laugh and say you can do far better. Steinway has an impressive marketing machine and a lineup of Steinway-exclusive artists, colleges, and conservatories that ensure they are held in high esteem, and Kamaka is marketed fairly impressively as well. Saying Kamaka is the Steinway of ukuleles is by no means saying they are the best, because there are many who would say Steinway's are far from the "best."

Back on topic, what I wouldn't give to know what goes on behind the scenes for some of these things. It must be cool to have that insider knowledge instead of hanging out, speculating on an internet forum ;)

Ronnie Aloha
03-30-2012, 10:09 AM
When last I had any dialog with Kamaka, they indicated that all the artists who play their instruments paid for them themselves. None were given in an endorsement deal. Jake's signature model is another thing altogether, though, and I would expect him to have one of his own on that model.

I remember the issue about Kamaka never giving their ukes away from the Cosby thread. However, Kalei Gamiao's interview on hisessions seems to dispute that. Just saying...don't care either way.

Ryan<3Ukes
03-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Not really. Identical quality doesn't mean identical instruments.

I understand that statement now

Jcollazo
03-30-2012, 01:44 PM
My son is a pro drummer. He's sponsored by a drum maker, stick maker and cymbal maker. He tells me that sponsorship is just a marketing gig. He makes sure that he mentions each of the makers, when appropriate, in videos, prints and recordings. He also participates in clinics run or sponsored by the manufacturer. In return, he's supplied with whatever he needs for various projects. It's a nice deal for him and the manufacturers get personal level advertising. Is it a great system, who knows? But the day I didn't have to buy more skins and sticks was a good day! ;)

Uke Whisperer
03-30-2012, 11:56 PM
Like most things in this world, it all comes down to $...

guitharsis
03-31-2012, 12:06 AM
Jake recently posted on Facebook, "Check out KamakaHawaii.com. I love their ukuleles!" Believe he does.

coolkayaker1
05-12-2012, 06:34 PM
I was wondering if anyone has heard any updates about Brittni and signing with Kamaka. The reason I ask is that I just saw the trailer for her new DVD, Living Ukulele, and she sure seems up on KoAloha in it, and even tours the Koaloha factory. Filmed b4 the change, no doubt, but just released.

Papa and Mama and the Okami ohana is tough to beat... I share Staci's initial curiosity in this matter and wonder if anyone has heard anything new.

Here she's playing a JS Signature non-slotted Kamaka, and many comments still wondering about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FWR6q0MSXQ

Cheers.

TCK
05-12-2012, 07:34 PM
I am completely with you mate-couldn't care less who is playing what. I guess to me an Ukulele hero is still an Ukulele hero right? As for Kardashian...nice role model there, and Nike, well that is not even allowed in my home. My beloved pibble makes sure of that.

consitter
05-12-2012, 07:51 PM
There's always a reason for change. Just doesn't necessarily have to be a reason on the artist's part though.

wickedwahine11
05-13-2012, 04:04 AM
I was wondering if anyone has heard any updates about Brittni and signing with Kamaka. The reason I ask is that I just saw the trailer for her new DVD, Living Ukulele, and she sure seems up on KoAloha in it, and even tours the Koaloha factory. Filmed b4 the change, no doubt, but just released.

Papa and Mama and the Okami ohana is tough to beat... I share Staci's initial curiosity in this matter and wonder if anyone has heard anything new.

Here she's playing a JS Signature non-slotted Kamaka, and many comments still wondering about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FWR6q0MSXQ

Cheers.

Yeah, I have that video...it actually is pretty good, but it was made when she was still with KoAloha. She is now playing the Kamaka in her recent appearances, and I think there was even a photo of her with the Kamakas at the Kamaka factory, but I can't remember if it was on her twitter or Facebook page or theirs.

I still feel bad for the Okamis on that one. I know it is just a business, but I still always thought they had a special personal connection with her.

webby
05-13-2012, 05:50 PM
I am available and would be prepared to sign with any of the top brands, i'm just waiting for the phone call guys......

still waiting.....

oh well, one day :)

Freeda
05-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Never heard of her. :)

coolkayaker1
05-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Never heard of her. :)

She's a juggler and unicyclist from Seattle.

webby
05-13-2012, 06:06 PM
I thought she was a french cake maker :)

coolkayaker1
05-14-2012, 06:27 AM
I thought she was a french cake maker :)

No, that's Victoria Vox. Who is still with KoAloha, by the way.

Freeda
05-14-2012, 06:28 AM
No, that's Victoria Vox. Who is still with KoAloha, by the way.
I've heard of her, only in a mouth trumpet way. LOL! Which is fine if it's your thing, but it isn't my thing. ;)

Thinker
05-14-2012, 09:09 AM
I've heard of her, only in a mouth trumpet way. LOL! Which is fine if it's your thing, but it isn't my thing. ;)

I tend to agree. I really like Victoria Vox...but the mouth trumpet thing really should go. Fundamentally....it's just not that cool and sounds a little silly. Her voice and her uke playing are both great. I'm sure she'll drop it soon enough.

mds725
05-14-2012, 09:09 AM

Victoria Vox has appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, but, alas, not for her ukulele playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvCCx2IVAJI

Freeda
05-14-2012, 09:17 AM
I think it's interesting that so much time, energy, and money goes into sponsoring artists for marketing purposes. I find it very curious the people who have been chosen by the industry as those who should somehow be my role models, as a beginning player. I'm all for people finding a way to get paid to do what they love, but I really don't think it influences my purchases. Y'all influence my purchases. ;)

That said, good for her, I hope it is a mutually beneficial relationship. Seems like the uke niche is one of the few where a young female performer doesn't have to get half naked to get a gig. :)

gyosh
05-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Victoria Vox has appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, but, alas, not for her ukulele playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvCCx2IVAJI

After watching that, I think I can safely say that I don't think I'll ever watch Victoria Vox again.

PoiDog
05-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Jake recently posted on Facebook, "Check out KamakaHawaii.com. I love their ukuleles!" Believe he does.

And I believe he earned some cash for fulfilling his contractual obligation to peddle the wares.

Call me a cynic, but why do I have the feeling that if, say, KoAloha offered up a truck of money to a Kamaka-sponsored player they'd suddenly "discover" how amazing the KoAloha ukes were. And visa versa with almost any top-name brand.

That's certainly not to say that either Kamaka or KoAloha are lacking, nor to disparage the character of any of their sponsored players. But, come on ...

Anyway, I'm waiting to see which company sponsors Julia Nunes, cuz I totally wanna get her ukes.

Thinker
05-14-2012, 09:41 AM
And I believe he earned some cash for fulfilling his contractual obligation to peddle the wares.

I dunno. I doubt there's enough money in teh world to make serious players like Jake, Herb Ohta, Daniel Ho, or James Hill to go in the bag for a uke he couldn't use to their best standards.

PoiDog
05-14-2012, 09:51 AM
I dunno. I doubt there's enough money in teh world to make serious players like Jake, Herb Ohta, Daniel Ho, or James Hill to go in the bag for a uke he couldn't use to their best standards.

Oh, I'm not saying that Jake (or any other sponsored player) is compromising his/their integrity by shilling for the makers. But it seems to me that if the players were that in love or dedicated to a single brand, or if they honestly felt that one maker was significantly better than others, then the makers wouldn't need to do these silly exclusive sponsorships, would they? I mean, the player would just simply say, "I think brand X is the best and use them."

Once a corporation inks someone to an exclusive deal, it sort of compromises that integrity by a bit. Because the player isn't allowed to publicly play or promote the other guys.

Keep in mind, I don't begrudge anyone for doing this. But let's be honest about these things. To say it's 100% about the instrument can be a bit naive.

Again, maybe I'm just a cynic ...

consitter
05-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Keep in mind, I don't begrudge anyone for doing this. But let's be honest about these things. To say it's 100% about the instrument can be a bit naive.

If you're a cynic, so am I. It's never about the instrument, or you wouldn't see artists switching at all. For those that do switch around, it's about the best deal for them. Or needing to find someone to have a deal with at all.

hawnuke
06-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Here's what Brittni wrote on a thread entitled "New cd. Tell U What" about this situation. I think Brittni is awesome!!!! Next time let's not jump to conclusions :)

Hey everyone,

I wish I could come on here more often.

I didn't mean to offend anyone by posting about my new record. I appreciate all of you very much and thank you for having so much love for the ukulele.

If some of you are upset with me about my recent change in ukulele companies, I'm so sorry. It's been hard to stay silent in the matter as I read some of the comments. I do not want to be negative about any situations and didn't know how to explain what happened. I will try to explain in as few words as possible, as I want to always have respect for KoAloha.

I was always a faithful KoAloha artist, and would have continued to be had they not discontinued the relationship. Kamaka has never approached me, nor offered me anything. They have always been respectful about my relationship with KoAloha. It was I who approached them when I was in great need. Though I was initially very saddened by KoAloha's decision, I feel that doors were closed so others may open. I am forever grateful to KoAloha for the many years I've played their instruments. I am very happy and thankful that Kamaka so willingly opened their arms to me and welcomed me into their family when I was in much need of an instrument. I am very happy being a part of their family.

Hope this can settle and end any further speculation.

Again, if I have offended anyone, I am very, truly sorry.

Blessings,
Brittni

consitter
06-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Don't come on here with your very first *ever* post and tell us not to jump to conclusions. Some of us are little more informed than what you know!!

hawnuke
06-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Don't come on here with your very first *ever* post and tell us not to jump to conclusions. Some of us are little more informed than what you know!!

Geez, testy aren't you!!!
Though I only now registered, I have been on here reading threads for months now.
Thank you for your kind hospitality.

consitter
06-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Yep, when it comes to the Okamis, I'm testy. They are personal friends of mine. I don't mean to offend. I just jumped a little high on that one. Sorry to sound so "overly enthusiastic."

bodhran
06-11-2012, 08:44 PM
I think it's interesting that so much time, energy, and money goes into sponsoring artists for marketing purposes. I find it very curious the people who have been chosen by the industry as those who should somehow be my role models, as a beginning player. I'm all for people finding a way to get paid to do what they love, but I really don't think it influences my purchases. Y'all influence my purchases. ;)

That said, good for her, I hope it is a mutually beneficial relationship. Seems like the uke niche is one of the few where a young female performer doesn't have to get half naked to get a gig. :)

Well said Freeda

mm stan
06-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I have that video...it actually is pretty good, but it was made when she was still with KoAloha. She is now playing the Kamaka in her recent appearances, and I think there was even a photo of her with the Kamakas at the Kamaka factory, but I can't remember if it was on her twitter or Facebook page or theirs.

I still feel bad for the Okamis on that one. I know it is just a business, but I still always thought they had a special personal connection with her.

Mahalo Staci for the video...I liked it very much..

Plainsong
06-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Yep, when it comes to the Okamis, I'm testy. They are personal friends of mine. I don't mean to offend. I just jumped a little high on that one. Sorry to sound so "overly enthusiastic."

All he did was copy and paste her own words on the matter. What exactly is wrong with that? Your last post infers that you know more about the situation, so what is it that really happened?

consitter
06-11-2012, 11:31 PM
All he did was copy and paste her own words on the matter. What exactly is wrong with that? Your last post infers that you know more about the situation, so what is it that really happened?

I should have kept my mouth shut about the whole thing.

Aldrine Guerrero
06-12-2012, 12:38 AM
Oh, I'm not saying that Jake (or any other sponsored player) is compromising his/their integrity by shilling for the makers. But it seems to me that if the players were that in love or dedicated to a single brand, or if they honestly felt that one maker was significantly better than others, then the makers wouldn't need to do these silly exclusive sponsorships, would they? I mean, the player would just simply say, "I think brand X is the best and use them."

Once a corporation inks someone to an exclusive deal, it sort of compromises that integrity by a bit. Because the player isn't allowed to publicly play or promote the other guys.

Gonna shed a little light on the sponsorship shenanigans...

The only company that I've heard that signs contracts, is KoAloha. The other ukulele makers are not as exclusive. Kalei Gamiao is playing Kamaka ukuleles but he is not exclusive to them (I think he even mentioned getting a thai ukulele maker make him an ukulele to play.) I play Kanile'a ukuleles but I've also been playing mya-moe and Martin ukuleles as well. I think the only person that is actually "sponsored" by Kamaka is Jake, but even that is kind of gray (it was noted on the first pure heart CD that he played KoAloha on the track "on fire" but the album cover had his first custom kamaka)

So as far as integrity goes, most sponsored uke players play the brand they play because they do stand beside them. Everyone is free to play whatever brand they want to play because no one is really "exclusive" to any one brand (that I know of) So while "brand x is the 'best' and use them" should be a phrase that shouldn't even make sense; I do not question that player's integrity.

Kanaka916
06-12-2012, 05:52 AM
All the speculation ended with Brittni's reply (see post #63) . . . therefore there's no reason to keep this thread open.