Found a great strap from Lakota Leather

uke4life

Reaction score
I must stay I suffer from SAS (strap acquisition syndrome) for all my instruments and thought I'd let you know I found a great strap for my ukulele (I know many do not use them, but for the few of us that do :rolleyes:). I just got a Bison Mandolin Strap from Lakota Leather but modified it with strap holes on both ends for my use and it's a great strap. It is super soft supple leather that is the perfect size. It has hole adjustment abilities to be used on my tenor or my concert.

Below is a pic on my concert and a link to their website:

photo-17-1.jpg

http://www.lakotaleathers.com/products/product.php?id=16

looks really nice!

I bought my uke strap from this etsy seller:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jlstephenscouture?ref=seller_info

She has some really, really nice ones. All her straps say they're for the acoustic guitar, but I have this one specifically (http://www.etsy.com/listing/67296246/adjustable-acoustic-guitar-strap-blue) and it looks lovely on my acacia tenor.

I saw many on etsy, but I was looking for leather specifically and love Bison leather too boot. Another great part of this strap is that it fits into my case really nicely.

That looks like a great strap! I have been looking at straps lately with my boyfriend and he is worried about a leather strap soaking up sweat and staying wet in his case with his `ukulele. I don't have a problem with sweating this much into my strap, so I haven't dealt with this issue. Have you ever had a problem with this?

Last edited:
That looks like a great strap! I have been looking at straps lately with my boyfriend and he is worried about a leather strap soaking up sweat and staying wet in his case with his `ukulele. I don't have a problem with sweating this much into my strap, so I haven't dealt with this issue. Have you ever had a problem with this?

If I was playing outside in the summer I would have to deal with that with my guitar, mandolin or ukulele. However, for me if I knew my strap was wet, I would take it out and put it in my accessory bag or backpack. But since I have a strap addiction, I always have extra straps if one is still not quite dried. LOL Sorry if that isn't more help, but your boyfriend is wise not to leave a sweaty strap on his uke.:agree:

I really like that style of strap. It seems like it's hard to find them nowadays for anything but a mandolin.

I've purchased several guitar and mandolin straps from Lakota Leather, and they are very soft and comfortable. But the best part is they are made by members of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, and a large portion of the profit stays on the Reservation to help those most in need. Great straps for a wonderful cause. A little pricy, but worth it.

I've purchased several guitar and mandolin straps from Lakota Leather, and they are very soft and comfortable. But the best part is they are made by members of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, and a large portion of the profit stays on the Reservation to help those most in need. Great straps for a wonderful cause. A little pricy, but worth it.

Well said!! I love that there is a cause behind the strap. The great part of Bison is that it will probably outlast many of the instruments I play. ;)

I recently posted about how my Risa kidney bean tenor was almost completely destroyed by rust from what I believe was a damp strap inside the completely zippered up case. I have the same worry about it, so I will never leave a strap on it again when I put it in the case. At the very least, I'll need a fully loaded pickguard, knobs, etc. A few frets will need re-polished. Oy~

Yeah, I have one of their braided elk mandolin straps with holes at both ends that I use on my tenors, sometimes. Great strap but it is a bit on the long side and there isn't really any way to adjust it.

Really soft and supple, though.

I'm very particular about the straps that I use. So much so that when I wanted to acquire a third Cole Clark Ukulele strap:

http://www.coleclark-america.com/product_Ukulele_Strap.asp

and could not find one in the USA, I asked for support from our fellow UU'ers in Australia. Tack came to the rescue and my Cole Clark strap will be here pretty soon.

Thanks, Tack, I really appreciate your help! :):)

Mike

I'm very particular about the straps that I use. So much so that when I wanted to acquire a third Cole Clark Ukulele strap:

http://www.coleclark-america.com/product_Ukulele_Strap.asp

and could not find one in the USA, I asked for support from our fellow UU'ers in Australia. Tack came to the rescue and my Cole Clark strap will be here pretty soon.

Thanks, Tack, I really appreciate your help! :):)

Mike

The Cole Clark strap that Tack said was at Elderly isn't what you wanted?

The Cole Clark strap that Tack said was at Elderly isn't what you wanted?

Elderly doesn't carry that strap anymore. For some reason, it comes up on a Google search. However, if you try and add the strap to your shopping cart, it returns with a database error.

Mike

I ordered one for one of my ukes. The guy I talked to was really nice to deal with. .

I'll bet you spoke with Kenny the owner. He is a very nice guy. He told me that years ago he and his family used to make a yearly trip to Pine Ridge with coats, blankets and other donated necessities. Then, he figured out a way to use the skills and resources available on the Reservation to generate more income for the people who live there. And they offer a good product. Lakota's straps are clearly made by hand, and their leathers are well conditioned and comfortable.

I ordered one for one of my ukes. The guy I talked to was really nice to deal with. I will give a report on it after it arrives. Thanks for the info.

I look forward to your review...I'm ordering another one for my soon to be arriving uke and want the strap ready to be put on... :D

I must stay I suffer from SAS (strap acquisition syndrome) for all my instruments and thought I'd let you know I found a great strap for my ukulele (I know many do not use them, but for the few of us that do :rolleyes:). I just got a Bison Mandolin Strap from Lakota Leather but modified it with strap holes on both ends for my use and it's a great strap. It is super soft supple leather that is the perfect size. It has hole adjustment abilities to be used on my tenor or my concert.

Uke4life .........

I too live with SAS . I had on a couple of occasions been scoffed for using straps . After a pretty solid insult in that regard , I began an internet photo search for our more famous " NAMED " ukers trying to find pics of them using straps or not . To my expectations , I could NOT find one single big name uker that somewhere along the way that WASN'T useing a ukestrap during a live performance .

That to say . I'm thankful and proud of ALL my straps . lol

With that said , the bison and elk straps are nice for sure . But I am a little more frugal and budget minded in life . I found a strap that I really like and put one on each of myb ukes for about haldf the price of the ones others have posted here .

Hope this link helps the more frugal budgeteers people here in UU . They are a little rigid at first but loosen up real nice in short time .

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accesso...dolin_Strap.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=256595

Uke4life .........

I too live with SAS . I had on a couple of occasions been scoffed for using straps . After a pretty solid insult in that regard , I began an internet photo search for our more famous " NAMED " ukers trying to find pics of them using straps or not . To my expectations , I could NOT find one single big name uker that somewhere along the way that WASN'T useing a ukestrap during a live performance .

That to say . I'm thankful and proud of ALL my straps . lol

With that said , the bison and elk straps are nice for sure . But I am a little more frugal and budget minded in life . I found a strap that I really like and put one on each of myb ukes for about haldf the price of the ones others have posted here .

Hope this link helps the more frugal budgeteers people here in UU . They are a little rigid at first but loosen up real nice in short time .

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accesso...dolin_Strap.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=256595

Thank you for sharing. That is a great looking strap for sure. How does the loop side work on the strap button? I have a couple of those type of straps in my accessory back and like you said, they do break in nicely.

Here is another one that is easier on the pocketbook and doesn't have a buckle on it either:

http://gregboyd.com/accessory_detail.html?accessory_key=217&accessory_image_key=224

Thank you for sharing. That is a great looking strap for sure. How does the loop side work on the strap button? I have a couple of those type of straps in my accessory back and like you said, they do break in nicely.

Here is another one that is easier on the pocketbook and doesn't have a buckle on it either:

http://gregboyd.com/accessory_detail.html?accessory_key=217&accessory_image_key=224

A hole is punched in that end. There is no charge for that and I was told they sell many that way and they work fine.

Top Bottom