Is UU+ worth it?

BeardedGent

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm quite new around here and new to the uke all together. So new, my uke won't be here until Friday. I noticed that there is a plethora of videos to learn from outside of what is offered under UU+. So, for a total beginner like myself, is joining UU+ needed? What am I missing, if anything, by just using the wonderful lessons provided for free here? Also, are the songs to learn in any kind of order of difficulty? Organized like the lessons? My apologies if these questions have been asked before. But I did not see them in the search function.

Welcome to the forum Gent. I'll be interested in the responses too. There is a 2 week trial available that I'll try when I know I've got a 2 week period with a bunch of time. I can't say I care for the Uke Minutes. I find they are too brief, too fast paced, don't clearly show fingerings, etc. Seeing the presenter demonstrate that he can do a new strum at lightning speed does nothing for me. Ukulele Mike on the other hand is great.

Ukulele 101 is where most beginners will find value in UU+. This is a very structured 10 video course that takes you from beginner to being able to play in a group. The total course is about 4.5 hours long. We used to charge $150 for it but its included in UU+ now.

Hope it doesn't come off as a sales pitch.

Also could you tell us what you'd want to see in UU+ that you think would make you say, "oh yeah this is what i want to see!" Then we can make it :)

Hey Ryan, I emailed you guys awhile ago with no response back. I wanted to join UU+ at $10 a month but only saw a $15 a month option. Can I join UU+ for $10 a month and how? I saw where you could give $10 a month but didn't know if that qualified as UU+

Hey Ryan, I emailed you guys awhile ago with no response back. I wanted to join UU+ at $10 a month but only saw a $15 a month option. Can I join UU+ for $10 a month and how? I saw where you could give $10 a month but didn't know if that qualified as UU+

Hi sorry if I didn't get back to you. We get a lot of emails and as hard as i try sometimes i have a hard time keeping up. we relaunched the main site now and theres a yearly option that comes out to $10/month.

I often pause and rewind the Uke Minutes videos. It comes in handy if I get confused.

Welcome to the forum Gent. I'll be interested in the responses too. There is a 2 week trial available that I'll try when I know I've got a 2 week period with a bunch of time. I can't say I care for the Uke Minutes. I find they are too brief, too fast paced, don't clearly show fingerings, etc. Seeing the presenter demonstrate that he can do a new strum at lightning speed does nothing for me. Ukulele Mike on the other hand is great.

Okay... my 2 cents...

I really liked UUU. It's a recording of Aldrine teaching and Ryan behind the camera (say "What What, Rayan!"). Aldrine goes in depth in 101, but not TOO in depth. There recorded, so you can stop them at your convienence, re-watch them, or jump on to the next lesson if you already have what he's teaching mastered, although I learned new stuff even when they were covering stuff I THOUGHT I had mastered.

Look, you CAN learn this stuff on your own. You can ask a lot of questions, practice a lot, keep at it and you'll get very good. What UUU gives is covering all that stuff that you'd EVENTUALLY learn in a easy to digest format with examples so you get the information you need right off the bat.

I thought it was worth it. UUU 101 was a great jump start for me.

Last edited:
This is good to know. By any chance, can the videos be downloaded to a portable device? Like an iPhone?

Okay... my 2 cents...

I really liked UUU. It's a recording of Aldrine teaching and Ryan behind the camera (say "What What, Ryan!"). Aldrine goes in depth in 101, but not TOO in depth. There recorded, so you can stop them at your convienence, re-watch them, or jump on to the next lesson if you already have what he's teaching mastered, although I learned new stuff even when they were covering stuff I THOUGHT I had mastered.

Look, you CAN learn this stuff on your own. You can ask a lot of questions, practice a lot, keep at it and you'll get very good. What UUU gives is covering all that stuff that you'd EVENTUALLY learn in a easy to digest format with examples so you get the information you need right off the bat.

I thought it was worth it. UUU 101 was a great jump start for me.

Kind of like a gym membership......it's only worth it if you use it.;)

Hi
I have only had my Uke for a few weeks now and I signed up for UU+ since there was a two week trial. I am very glad I did. As was said earlier, the Ukelele 101 is fantastic. My local music instructor charges $15 for a half-hour lesson. I am just a beginner, but with UU101, and Uncle Rod's Boot Camp, I feel that I am getting better every day. For me UU+ is a great value. Thanks

I've found it to be worthwhile enough to continue after the 2 week free trial. It has a nice structure, and techniques are covered in more depth than in the uke minutes. Sometimes I think it moves a little slowly, but my guess is that some of that is because I'd messed around some on my own before starting and also had training in other instruments prior to picking up the uke. My guess is that as the series progresses I will find that it moves at a good pace.

They do offer a free 2 week trial, so you can check it out for yourself with no risk - the free 2 weeks are definitely worth checking it out.

I have to say, I've been playing for about 8-9 months now, and just signed up for UU+ about two weeks ago. I wish I had much earlier. It's extremely informative, and better laid out than Uke Minutes. UU+ actually takes you through the stages of playing from how to tune, to master class. I'm going on to 201 series now.

I have nothing but compliments fro Aldrine and Rayan and UU+. My son takes guitar lessons at $16/half hour every week, or $64 a month. UU+ at ten bucks a month (I did the one year non-recurring plan)--a freaking steal!

Highest marks for UU+ after using it for two weeks. I really like it.

I'll add another A+ to Aldrine & Ryan. UU+ is great. Now they've added the other classes like bridging the gap. Great series to build skills. Without it I wouldn't be making any progress at all. No teachers nearby to help. Great job guys!

This is good to know. By any chance, can the videos be downloaded to a portable device? Like an iPhone?

No, you can't. I think that any time your dealing with content that is the product, they don't want you to download it. I know it took a lot of time and I am guessing a decent stack of cash to create UUU. The videos ARE the product. If you downloaded them, you could concieveably give them to someone who hasn't paid for it and that would be like grabbing Rayan's wallet and stealing his cash. So, no, but it would be handy for those of us who don't always have an internet connection!

Last edited:
Personally, I love ukulelemike. He's a great teacher, the videos are well-paced and the chord shapes are there. I've looked at uke minutes and they're useful but they don't grab me the same. I learned uke from scratch on my own from free stuff on the net - mainly in the beginning from free song sheets with chord shapes - but I did come to the uke as someone with a little experience of guitar, which helped. I don't know whether this helps! :)

Hi sorry if I didn't get back to you. We get a lot of emails and as hard as i try sometimes i have a hard time keeping up. we relaunched the main site now and theres a yearly option that comes out to $10/month.

Thank you Ryan. I know you guys are really busy and I appreciate this wonderful resource and community you provide for all of. I am definitely going to join. I think what I need the most is the structure the UU+lessons will provide.

I think I've been enrolled in UU+ for about 7 months now. Great resource and I find myself going back and re-watching the videos and getting even more out of them since I've got more uke experience under my belt. And I plan to renew when my annual membership if up.

I signed up as soon as the annual membership became available...my opinion is that it is absolutely worth it!

Hello everyone. I'm quite new around here and new to the uke all together. So new, my uke won't be here until Friday. I noticed that there is a plethora of videos to learn from outside of what is offered under UU+. So, for a total beginner like myself, is joining UU+ needed? What am I missing, if anything, by just using the wonderful lessons provided for free here? Also, are the songs to learn in any kind of order of difficulty? Organized like the lessons? My apologies if these questions have been asked before. But I did not see them in the search function.

My answer is YES!

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I did indeed go ahead and do the two week trial and I've already been reviewing the videos. I do believe that I'll be signing up for the annual subscription in the next couple of months. I also have some experience with the guitar but it's been some time since I last played one due to a work injury. Given the size of the ukulele's neck, I don't predict any issues. My ukulele gets here tomorrow and that UPS guy can't get here fast enough!

Top Bottom