Trouble with Barre/movable chords

chappyware

Reaction score
What's the secret? When I barre a chord, at least one string sounds dead/muted. Sure, sometimes a fretting finger touches the next string but sometimes just barring produces a dead string--usually E or A.

I'm a beginner so be kind but please give me a few pointers. I don't want to develop bad habits at the outstart. I'm using a tenor tuned to low G

Thank you all.

Hi there, I've only been playing for a couple of months so I hope these are not bad habits I'm going to pass on.

Aside from practice, try working using the hand stretching/strengthening techniques that we have on the Uke Minutes. At the same time try working on the position of your thumb. I found a nice comfortable position that allowed me to put enough pressure on the strings to prevent those "Dead strings" you were talking about.

I hope that helps. One newbie to another.

Oh and Deach might just be on to something when he said "practice" :D

Who is this mysterious stranger they all call Deach?:bowdown:

Yep, barre chords are tough. And you will just have to practice to get them right.

One thing you should be careful about though, is that some begginners, in an effort to put more pressure, use their middle finger to push on the index finger. You lose a lot of flexibility like that. So might as well start right. Make sure your hand position is straight, with the finger joints facing straight 180 degrees from the fretboard.

I set my self free from regular chords to Barre chords by barring the C chord. it was the easiest for me to bar and it gave me freedom to explore the fretboard.

Barring the C and applying to theory really boosts your ability to vary your playing. For example instead of playing the regular F chord, Barre at the 5th fret and play a C chord shape up there. It's another fingering for the C chord. See what I'm saying?

I agree with Deach - practice, practice, practice.

I've had that problem too. It's getting that even pressure over all four strings that can be difficult, and if you put extra pressure on one or two strings, then it can sometimes mean that the others strings don't have enough pressure.

Try going back and forwards between two barre chords over and over again, just to get the strength up in your fingers.

Here is a little Barre/movable Chord drill for you,

Code:
A-(-0-2-4-0-4-3-2-4-0-)
E-(-0-0-3-2-4-3-2-4-0-)
C-(-1-2-3-2-4-3-2-4-1-)
G-(-2-1-3-2-4-3-2-4-2-)

It's a condensed version of the song "The Magic Islands" a traditional Polynesian Melody I got from a Jumpin Jim book "Ukulele Island"

When you are holding the barre, try moving your elbow away from your body a little. This should turn your barre finger a little and leverage your thumb a bit against the back of the fret board. If you do it right you will be using less finger strength but at the same time holding the barre finger tighter against the fret board. It might help if your thumb is closer to the headstock then your barre finger.

Yep, barre chords are tough. And you will just have to practice to get them right.

One thing you should be careful about though, is that some begginners, in an effort to put more pressure, use their middle finger to push on the index finger. You lose a lot of flexibility like that. So might as well start right. Make sure your hand position is straight, with the finger joints facing straight 180 degrees from the fretboard.

Practice for sure helps.

I do point out, though, that Jake also uses his middle finger to barre chords.
Sometimes it's just what you have to do.

practice is key. along with determination, perseverance, and a high pain tolerance. hahaha

when i was just starting out learning guitar, i would always avoid songs that had an F chord in it because theres really no way to cheat that barre chord (well there is, but its a bad habit that i dont condone unless you can honestly do a correct barre chord with ease). it took me about three months to be able to play that damn chord clean (but it didnt help that i was learning to play on a $20 guitar).

15 yrs later, i still experience fatigue when playing songs that i use a lot of barre chords on. but its getting better. be thankful there are only 4 strings on the uke, and theyre nylon.

Top Bottom