Silver Creek Vintage Tenor Ukulele Case -- Poor Quality

gokidd

Reaction score
:(

Ungood. This item just arrived from Musicians Friend and I'm returning it.
For $70 it just isn't worth it. The lining isn't properly glued to the interior, the neck support is much too tall, and the body well is much too deep.

I know there are some postings detailing how to fix the neck support issue, but for $70, I don't want to buy a project to work on.

MF customer support was totally positive and offered no hassle, so I salute them for that.

The Silver Creek uke itself is even more abominable than the case, if you imagine that.

I just had a customer send me a Guardian tenor case and it seemed really nice .
Not sure of the cost but it might worth looking at. Is it for a new Uke you have coming ;)
Bad news brother. Guardian and Silver creek are the same company.

Got my tenor and concert for $25 each. Both had minor issues like the neck support and lid alignment but worth $25.
They'll go on sale occasionally.

i agree this very bad product...i have exact same problems..you have to put a piece of cloth to get uke up higher..bad design for ukes..dont buy!!!! bought mine from music 123...

I have the guardian and think it is an excellent case. I got it for less then $50 and it is as high quality as the cases that ship with my Martin Tylor and Larrivee guitars. Arched top and plush lining. I did have to lower the neck rest, which took less the 15 minutes. If you call musician 123 or musicians friend, they can almost always find a way to give you 20% off even when not on sale. I'm not disagreeing with the original assessment. Once you get around $70-$80, you are certainly entitled to more. However, at $45-$50, nothing comes close.

Last edited:
jwieties,
Did you just remove the neck rest, cut it down and put it back in? I have this case in the tenor size.

There are 4 screws on the outside of the case (2 on either side). Ones you remove those, the neck rest block comes right out. It is mostly styrofoam with a very thin piece of wood on either side. Fold bak the lining and cut it down a little less then an inch. Don't tell my wife, but I used our bread knife and it worked like a charm. Tuck the lining under neath and screw it back in place.

Also, the radius was not deep enough for my neck profile on the top part of the rest. Rather then try to peel the lining back and reshape it, I just hammered down the edges a bit. Since its styrofoam, it was very easy to reshape into a deeper neck profile and by looking at it you could not tell that any alterations were made.

There are 4 screws on the outside of the case (2 on either side). Ones you remove those, the neck rest block comes right out. It is mostly styrofoam with a very thin piece of wood on either side. Fold bak the lining and cut it down a little less then an inch. Don't tell my wife, but I used our bread knife and it worked like a charm. Tuck the lining under neath and screw it back in place.

Also, the radius was not deep enough for my neck profile on the top part of the rest. Rather then try to peel the lining back and reshape it, I just hammered down the edges a bit. Since its styrofoam, it was very easy to reshape into a deeper neck profile and by looking at it you could not tell that any alterations were made.

thanks for the advice..i might try some of your ideas..i think mine is silver creek?? i have an oahu case from hms they are perfect..

thanks for the advice..i might try some of your ideas..i think mine is silver creek?? i have an oahu case from hms they are perfect..
Oahu is a sharp case, which I was looking at for a custom I'll be getting in the future.
The other thing I really like about the guardian/silver creek is the padded leather handles.

Made the same 'adjustment' on the concert case for my KPK concert. My Lanikai tenor fit fine.

Top Bottom