Uke newbie questions.

Joe Bananas

Reaction score
Hi there.
I'm a Uke newbie that recently and almost accidentaly purchased a Fender U'uku.
I'm quite happy with it and highly motivated to start but...
Where do I have to start and where can I find the best tips for beginners in the net?.
Also I ant to know if a Fender U'uku is a reliable Uke for a beginner like me.
Thanks!,

Click the link in the menu bar that says 'Learn to Play the Ukulele' :) (although I'm a bit biased)

Without wishing to advertise, my blog has a range of beginner tips aimed solely at the beginner. Not tuition, but tips on ownership.

In my view. First get comfortable with the instrument, don't worry about songs, get to understand how to hold it, strum it, pick it. There are not to many hard and fast rules so get comfortable first,

Then, avoid trying to learn that 20 chord song you love so much, stick to learning the common chords, at first, nor to just hold them, then how to move between them. Find some songs that use two or three chords, with tunes you already know well ( I recommend nursery rhymes to total beginners, sounds odd. But think About it - most know the tune, the rhythm and the words. By tackling a song like that you remove some other complications as you already know the song inside out!)

Then it's a case of practice practice practice. Build it slowly, and don't be afraid to ask for help from the community.

Without wishing to advertise, my blog has a range of beginner tips aimed solely at the beginner. Not tuition, but tips on ownership.

In my view. First get comfortable with the instrument, don't worry about songs, get to understand how to hold it, strum it, pick it. There are not to many hard and fast rules so get comfortable first,

Then, avoid trying to learn that 20 chord song you love so much, stick to learning the common chords, at first, nor to just hold them, then how to move between them. Find some songs that use two or three chords, with tunes you already know well ( I recommend nursery rhymes to total beginners, sounds odd. But think About it - most know the tune, the rhythm and the words. By tackling a song like that you remove some other complications as you already know the song inside out!)

Then it's a case of practice practice practice. Build it slowly, and don't be afraid to ask for help from the community.

Thanks for the advise!.How you find the Fender U'Uku could work for a newcomer?.

Just my opinion of course, but I think there are better ukes for the money than that Fender. It's laminated wood and for similar money you can get a solid instrument (or at least a solid top) - have a look at the Bruko model 6, or the Kala and Ohana models at the same price point.

Great advice. In addition to the good sources suggested in this thread so far, there's a huge amount of stuff out there for ukulele newbies, so start googling! Drawing information from a variety of sources means you will encounter conflicting advice on even the most basic stuff (holding and strumming for example). That's not a bad thing--just take what works for you and leave the rest.

Top Bottom