Buzzing on Second fret

BobbyB

Reaction score
I have built a number of instruments without this problem but on my last two I am getting contact on the second fret only. It is not higher than the others. I can't figure out what I might have done wrong. The neck joint connection is Spanish heel and the neck is flat relative to the soundboard. The only way I have been able to eliminate this is put in a taller saddle which makes it hard to play up the neck. Any thoughts appreciated.
BobB

If you are fretting at the first fret and getting a buzz on the second fret, the second fret is too high. If you are playing an open string and it is buzzing on the second fret the second fret has to be too high also. If you put a small straight edge on the first 3 frets only, is there any rocking action? What is the height of the strings at the 12th fret? What size instrument are you talking about? What kind of strings are you using?

If you are fretting at the first fret and getting a buzz on the second fret, the second fret is too high. If you are playing an open string and it is buzzing on the second fret the second fret has to be too high also. If you put a small straight edge on the first 3 frets only, is there any rocking action? What is the height of the strings at the 12th fret? What size instrument are you talking about? What kind of strings are you using?

That was the first thing I checked. The first three frets are dead flat to each other. There is no open string buzz, only when fretted at the number one fret. Right now at the twelfth fret it is .110" but I am going to have to raise to get rid of the buzz. This is a baritone with Aquila strings.

I had similar on a guitar I refretted a few weeks ago. All frets level, a shallow drop-off ramp at the higher frets over the body, neck adjusted just right, saddle height average... Should have been fine. Still had a buzz on a low fret. Changed strings and all was fine - no more buzz. I couldn't actually see a kink in the string, but I still reckon that's what it was.

Tried new strings?

I had similar on a guitar I refretted a few weeks ago. All frets level, a shallow drop-off ramp at the higher frets over the body, neck adjusted just right, saddle height average... Should have been fine. Still had a buzz on a low fret. Changed strings and all was fine - no more buzz. I couldn't actually see a kink in the string, but I still reckon that's what it was.

Tried new strings?
This is a new set. I am just setting up the instrument and have only tried the bass and treble string so I guess I will put on the other two and see if I get buzzing on all strings or just one.

Are you sure its the 2nd fret that's buzzing and not the saddle?
If the frets are flat, the neck is straight and you have 0.11" action, things should be fine. That 2nd fret must be high or you're getting a sitar effect off the saddle. Try polishing both with some steel wool and see if it helps??

Are you sure its the 2nd fret that's buzzing and not the saddle?
If the frets are flat, the neck is straight and you have 0.11" action, things should be fine. That 2nd fret must be high or you're getting a sitar effect off the saddle. Try polishing both with some steel wool and see if it helps??

I shimmed the saddle up until the string clearance at the 12th fret was .13 and no buzz. But that is a lot higher than I like. There was no open string buzz so I don't think the saddle is a problem.

I have a tenor..that I string with low G aquilas..after a few weeks of playing the wire wound G string starts to wear at the top end and in the end it starts buzzing...I take it off at this stage and turn it round the other way..and get a few more weeks out of it before it starts buzzing again.

I just tried a set of D'Addario Titaniums on a recently completed Baritone. DGBE tuning. Not my favourite tuning for an instrument that's suppose to be a ukulele (ducking from the neck blank Chuck is going to through at me), but they do sound good.

I have never seen Aquila baritone strings, but their unwound tenor strings have a huge circle of rotation....especially the C string. With aquilas, I always have to leave the action slightly higher than I would like. I agree with everyone else, try a different brand.

That was the first thing I checked. The first three frets are dead flat to each other.

Hi BobbyB

OK so you checked the first three frets being level, but that may mean the first fret is lower and the third fret is higher. If you put a straight edge, you may see these frets as level, but have you checked the 4th fret (and the higher ones) as well? And made sure *all* frets are level?

I don't think the problem is from the string if you get the buzz from all four strings

Another possibility is the first fret maybe loose. If that fret is loose, when you fret, you will hear the buzz and mistaken to think the buzz originates from the 2nd fret.

If you have a voltmeter, you can clip one lead to a *wound* string and clip the other to the second fret. If your string is indeed touching the second fret, you will get some resistance (the reading may fluctuate since the contact is irregular).

Good luck!
Chief

Hi BobbyB

OK so you checked the first three frets being level, but that may mean the first fret is lower and the third fret is higher. If you put a straight edge, you may see these frets as level, but have you checked the 4th fret (and the higher ones) as well? And made sure *all* frets are level?

I don't think the problem is from the string if you get the buzz from all four strings

Another possibility is the first fret maybe loose. If that fret is loose, when you fret, you will hear the buzz and mistaken to think the buzz originates from the 2nd fret.

If you have a voltmeter, you can clip one lead to a *wound* string and clip the other to the second fret. If your string is indeed touching the second fret, you will get some resistance (the reading may fluctuate since the contact is irregular).

Good luck!
Chief
Thanks Chief, I will double check those items. Also, thanks to all for the other suggestions, I will try another brand of string to see if I can get a little lower action without buzzing.

Let me point out here that when doing fret work it's important to use a straight edge. Not a credit card, not a stick, not a ruler, but something that is specifically made to use as a STRAIGHT edge. (Those bendy steel office rulers are the worst but great for what they were intended for; measuring things.) You can use these things but don't expect great results. A good precision straight edge will cost you some money but you will notice a difference when doing fret work. It's nice to have at least a couple of sizes for doing fret work.
http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/item/3850

Thanks, Chuck I do have a machined straight edge I bought from Stew Mac. I do check my fretboards prior to set up but I can always miss something. The one thing I have learned is that I can always and I mean always find a way to screw things up.

The one thing I have learned is that I can always and I mean always find a way to screw things up.

Oh I hope you're talking about ukuleles, not love relationships.....

Trust me - I can screw up badder than you can imagine

Cheers
Chief

Top Bottom