What kind of strumming technique is this?

Eyeguy

Reaction score
Been playing for a couple of weeks now and came across this video while searching for blues related uke tunes on YouTube.

Starting at 1:05 through 1:20, this gentleman is performing some kind of sweeping finger roll type strum that sounds as if each finger is hitting a different string on the way down and the the individual strings can be heard in sequence as his hand fans down across the strings. Very very cool.

First of all, does this technique have a name, and two, how is he doing it?

I don't know what the technique is called, but it is executed just as you said. I use that strum when I want to look like I really know what I'm doing, which, now that I've seen yet ANOTHER killer uke player on video, I'm having a harder time convincing MYSELF!

Last edited:
I think it's a combination of the fan strum + triplet.

So to break it down even further:
1) Fan Strum. (All 5 fingers fan downwards)
2) Thumb down stroke.
3) Thumb up stroke.
4) index / middle finger downstroke.

At least that's what I'm getting from that video. Hope this helps! :)

Yep looks like a triple strum crossed with a five finger roll.
Basically fan out with the fingers and then the thumb. NOT EASY for me. I still miss with my thumb on a lot of triple strums.

Thought I'd throw this in for fun. Never seen fans and rolls before on this fellow's level:

"El Maestro" Leonardo Lozano (on Cuatro):

Last edited:
Extremely cool :cool:

Been playing for a couple of weeks now and came across this video while searching for blues related uke tunes on YouTube.

Starting at 1:05 through 1:20, this gentleman is performing some kind of sweeping finger roll type strum that sounds as if each finger is hitting a different string on the way down and the the individual strings can be heard in sequence as his hand fans down across the strings. Very very cool.

First of all, does this technique have a name, and two, how is he doing it?

The original poster eyeguy's video link also reminds me of this superb, and I mean awesome, similar technique and lesson from the legendary Kimo Hussey. I would love to meet him someday. This video is, in a word, priceless. I must have watched it ten times.

Last edited:
The original poster eyeguy's video link also reminds me of this superb, and I mean awesome, similar technique and lesson from the legendary Kimo Hussey. I would love to meet him someday. This video is, in a word, priceless. I must have watched it ten times.
Wow, that was an amazingly clear presentation. I have the feeling I'm coming back to it a few more times myself!

Thanks everyone for all the sage advice and links - I am taking them all in. I must admit it is much harder to coordinate this strum in person than simply watching it where it looks so easy.

By the way, if anyone can help me figure out some of the chords he's playing right after the little opening rift and in between the other single note runs I would greatly appreciate it. I asked over in the Song Help section but haven't gotten even a nibble. Back channel would be fine too.

Top Bottom