Baritone tuning question-can you tune to GCEA?

WOBster

Reaction score
Newbie question...but...Just out of curiousity, can one tune a Baritone to the same "standard" tuning as a Tenor, concert or Soprano (reentrant)? I know the Worth strings I just put on my tenor are plenty long enough...would it work?
I know you can tune to GCEA (Low-g)and of course DGBE (given the correct strings) just curious if gCEA (reentrant/"standard") is possible and if so would I just use Tenor strings or is there something particular to baritone Ukes that I don't know? String recommendations? Seems like if this is possible the Baritone could be a very versatile instrument!
Thanks for your input

Last edited:
yeah mate you can tune GCEA if you want to. Just get the right set of strings and there's no problem. I think the bari loses something though if it's tuned that way, but many will disagree. I like the warmth and richness of the lower tuning myself, the mellow, gutsy tone it produces. If you tune GCEA it's all good too, but really you're just playing a big bodied soprano. Depends what sound you're after and what kind of stuff you want to play on it. But yeah, versatile? Sure is!!! Great instrument. Congrats on getting that kala bari too mate, I turned green when I saw it had been sold, great buy!!! :)

Worth Brown Fat tenor strings . You'll love it .

Just for clarity sake:

gCEA is re-entrant or "standard" tuning.

GCEA is low g or "linear" tuning

Mike

Guadalupe Octave Below Baritone strings

I just got my first Bari and used worth premium baritone strings (brown) fluros the tuning is DGBE but i love these strings

Last edited:
The Kala Tree of Life baritone had Worth brown GCEA low G strings on it when I sold it. Maybe it still has those on it when you get it.

yeah mate you can tune GCEA if you want to. Just get the right set of strings and there's no problem. I think the bari loses something though if it's tuned that way, but many will disagree. I like the warmth and richness of the lower tuning myself, the mellow, gutsy tone it produces. If you tune GCEA it's all good too, but really you're just playing a big bodied soprano. Depends what sound you're after and what kind of stuff you want to play on it. But yeah, versatile? Sure is!!! Great instrument. Congrats on getting that kala bari too mate, I turned green when I saw it had been sold, great buy!!! :)
Thanks! Yes I am VERY excited about the Kala, and trying to do my research to learn all the possibilities! I tried to resist buying but as they say "Resistance is futile" My UAS won out! :)

Thanks...will be checking those out...I know it has Worth Browns on it but I heard they were gCEA (which I thought meant "low-G" but I was corrected (below)

Just for clarity sake:

gCEA is re-entrant or "standard" tuning.

GCEA is low g or "linear" tuning

Mike

Thank you...Newbie confused information syndrome (The real meaning of NCIS?)

Guadalupe Octave Below Baritone strings

Thanks, will look at those too!

The Kala Tree of Life baritone had Worth brown GCEA low G strings on it when I sold it. Maybe it still has those on it when you get it.
I know it has Worth Brown's on it but I thought it was gCEA...need to double check...should be here today or tomorrow...can not wait!

Last edited:
shucks, I'm a dunce too...this GCEA gCEA thing has totally confused me...I thought gCEA was Low G but no. Thanks Mike for clearing that one up for me!!! :eek:

South coast Linear No-wound strings will get you Linear Low G tuning. Sounds amazing on my Pono. Aquila do a High G gCEA set which sounded good on my old Harmony.

There's so many options with a baritone. You've gotta try a few tunings out to find the uke's sweet spot. Enjoy!

Top Bottom