"Mamie's Blues"

H

Hippie Dribble

Jelly Roll Morton.

The great blues legend recorded this first with Alan Lomax in a series of solo sessions in December of 1939.

"Mamie's Blues" is named for it's subject, Mamie Desdumes, who may well have been its original author. Simple lyrics which are obviously close to Morton's heart.

This is played on a baritone ukulele with the rain hanging like mist outside; one of those icy autumn afternoons where the grey and damp seeps in. And you can feel the Winter creeping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kPHO5Ys7og

I'm just starting to try and learn to play blues, the baritone has got me really keen, and of course, listening to doc's tunes. Long way to go but you gotta take the first steps I guess... :eek:

Hi Jon: I don't usually comment much on videos, although I watch them all, but I have to comment on this one. Really nicely done!! You are really getting into that Bari. It is obvious you are becoming a serious Bari fan. You really should try Bb tuning for those blues songs. But I will say that I like my DBGE tuning on a couple of my Baris and play them quite a bit as well. Keep them coming. Also I find that a solid mahogany gives a great feel and sound to the DBGE tuning. Solid Acacia/Koa is close. Lozark

Nice one mate, it's made me want to dig out my Kala Bari. The wife bought it for me, but I just thought it was too far away from the ukulele sound, but listening to some of your tunes makes me want to revisit it.

Love it, Jon. That "not-a-Mya-moe" makes for some good blues.

Hi Jon: I don't usually comment much on videos, although I watch them all, but I have to comment on this one. Really nicely done!! You are really getting into that Bari. It is obvious you are becoming a serious Bari fan. You really should try Bb tuning for those blues songs. But I will say that I like my DBGE tuning on a couple of my Baris and play them quite a bit as well. Keep them coming. Also I find that a solid mahogany gives a great feel and sound to the DBGE tuning. Solid Acacia/Koa is close. Lozark
well brother I very much appreciate you chiming in here, thankyou. Yes, I will get to some different tunings and Bb is sure first on the list. Also Lozark, I appreciate you thoughts on the best woods for these ukes as I know nothing of this. This particular one is only a cheapo laminate model, but if I get into them more I'd certainly be thinking to upgrade to a nicer uke mate, and mahogany would be my choice. I've noticed the best baris the Mya-Moe folks make tend to be built out of mahogany...2 'name' artists who have had baris made for them recently went for mahogany anyway, so I guess that is a reasonable enough endorsement. Cheers Lozark.

sweetness, Jon, pure sweetness...... gotta agree lozark - you're really making the most of that bari..... better and better everytime we here it..... keep em coming...
thanks heaps Bill. Must be time for something more from you pretty soon, too brother. :)
Nice one mate, it's made me want to dig out my Kala Bari. The wife bought it for me, but I just thought it was too far away from the ukulele sound, but listening to some of your tunes makes me want to revisit it.
Eroll, I baaaaaed at the bari for 5 years mate!!! Ha ha... and I never knew what I was missing out on. I really like the feel of these all nylon strings on mine. I've not played one of the wound sets yet...that'll be interesting to try some time. But yeah, get that thing out!!!!
Great Job Eugene,
You Captured that cool blues riff and it sounds great...keep um coming

Thanks Stan, still very much feeling my way with the blues but wanted to have a crack at this one with the slow tempo, just to try it

Great job Eugene. Subscribed to ya too as tippytoetoli.
thanks a bunch bonesigh. Great name, 'tippytoetoli'...love it :)
Sounds good. Maybe a little bit dark.
thanks Fred. Most of my clips are just the standard colours with me in middle of screen, but with this one I wanted to try and create some light and shade ..get some mood happening!!! One of those dark songs that are crying for some emotion to enhance those pwerful lyrics. Cheers for the comment mate
Sad and sweet. Thanks, Jon!
Thanks much Ralf.

Wow, brilliant song choice Jon, superb mate, thanks for sharing this one.
Thankyou mate, very much, for everything
Yessssss...beautiful song Jon...Merci
Blessings Sebastien
Love it, Jon. That "not-a-Mya-moe" makes for some good blues.
Thanks Glenn, like I said to Stan, I still don't really know much about what the blues is to play -but I feel em, so I guess that's as good a place as any to start. And thanks mate for all your support and encouragement since I started putting these clips up, and the facebook page and everything, it's just so sweet of you brother and I appreciate it a huge amount. :)

Last edited:
Another great sound heard from "down yonder"!

'Mamie's Blues' is one of the many great songs Jelly Roll Morton wrote. Have you ever checked out 'My Home Is In a Southern Town'...? That's a beauty, and it would suit you to a T, believe me.

Absolutely amazing Jon, yet another fantastic vid/performance from you, judging by your playing it certainly doesnt look like you are learning, you look so accomplished, loved that tune on the Bari, you have certainly played your part in the bari revival, you defo influenced me in getting one :) and you most definately are the thunder from down under, a true great on the uke, love everything you do mate long may you play, have a great week kindest regards from me :)

Top Bottom