Ukelele fretboard fading problem

saaahm

Reaction score
Help guy's sorry if this is in the wrong section, first post haha. I have just bought a new Lanikai S-C concert uke from the store yesterday and today when I picked it up to play it I noticed there was some fading around the C chord. What should I do, Is there an easy fix or is this normal? Should I take it back?
Cheers :)

EDIT: Here is a photo of the fretboard,
IMG_2741.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say that it's pretty normal for the fret board to change colour as you play your uke more and more. Oils and dirty from your fingers will build up on the fretboard and often make it look dull or just different.

I think I see a somewhat lighter streak in the wood of your fretboard, starting at the third fret and higher on the A-string. This kind of colouration in wood is not uncommon.

If you want a really clean, nice-looking fret boar, pick up a gorgomyte cleaning cloth (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accesso...s/Gorgomyte_Fret_and_Fingerboard_Cleaner.html).
These clothes are impregnated with some sort of mildly abrasive that cleans up fret boards really nicely. Lots of guitarist use it, and I have used them on my expensive, custom ukes.

What do you mean fading? It looks like a normal fretboard to me.

Do you mean the light colored part of the wood?

That's just the wood. No need to worry. :)

I'd say that it's pretty normal for the fret board to change colour as you play your uke more and more. Oils and dirty from your fingers will build up on the fretboard and often make it look dull or just different.

I think I see a somewhat lighter streak in the wood of your fretboard, starting at the third fret and higher on the A-string. This kind of colouration in wood is not uncommon.

If you want a really clean, nice-looking fret boar, pick up a gorgomyte cleaning cloth (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accesso...s/Gorgomyte_Fret_and_Fingerboard_Cleaner.html).
These clothes are impregnated with some sort of mildly abrasive that cleans up fret boards really nicely. Lots of guitarist use it, and I have used them on my expensive, custom ukes.

Thanks man, I'll consider getting one of those! It's probably just me being paranoid :biglaugh:

If you're sure it was more evenly colored when you bought it that's not terribly surprising. Some instrument makers use dye to darken their fretboards (not just cheap ones either, I had a well-known American made guitar that was obviously dyed - obviously because my fingers turned black and the fingerboard got lighter).

However, based on the photo I'd say that just might be the pattern in the wood. It looks like a lighter streak over three or four frets, not a "spot" where you're fingering at the third fret.

John

The next time you change strings, go over it with some Old English "dark" furniture poish. Rub it in good and wipe clean. Presto...!!!

Top Bottom